Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shapewear...should I wear it every day?

Hey all! I'm 2 weeks post op and down 36 pounds since deciding to have LAP-BAND®®. I've got a lot to lose, so happily for me its falling off pretty easily at this point.

I'm starting the C25K tomorrow and as soon as my surgeon releases me to go back to strength training I'll be doing that as well.

Even with the loss I've had I still don't see any change in my clothes. When I wear pantyhose there's some change which has got me thinking that I need to invest in some Shapewear to help firm everything up.

I hit Lane Bryant yesterday and actually had a very helpful and actual plus size gal helping me out. We discussed the Spanx at length but she said something I'd not heard before. She told me that I shouldn't wear them all the time because the compression would make my muscles (especially the abs) not work as hard and actually lose strength.

Off on another note, I was really pleased to see that they had a section of Spanx you could try on. Being very bottom heavy all my life I've found the charts aren't as accurate on sizing for me and if I'm going to spend this much I am glad to know that I'll *know* when I leave the store that what I bought fits.

Is there any truth to this? I was planning on wearing them pretty much all the time that I'm out of the house but I don't want to do anything to make my muscles (and especially my core) weaker.

I'm not planning on getting them right now. I still have too much swelling to even want to add compression to the mix but my surgeon says that should be resolved in another 3-4 weeks.

I did find another brand called Shatobu that claims that it actually helps you burn more calories and they suggest you wear it 7 days a week for at least 12 hours a day. It's supposed to help offer some sort of resistance when walking and climbing stairs. They don't make it in my current size but I'll be there eventually.

I heard about Slimpressions from a blog that I follow to help with the dreaded batwing/mud flap arm. So far its the only shapewear I've seen that focuses on that. Spanx has a new line of shirts but I think they are for wearing on the outside.

Input of any kind on shapewear and your experiences would be more than appreciated.

I'm a big fan of Shapewear. I started wearing it about 6 months after I was banded. I was cold and was looking for another layer of clothes to keep warm. Now I wear it about 12 hours a day, but not in the summer. My problem areas are my stomach and arms, so I usually wear a camisole or tank. I haven't used anything for my hips. The brand I like best is Warners Flexees. I never tried Spanx, although I have some of their cheaper version that I got at Target. It's pretty good, too. As far as it weakening my abs, I don't think so. In fact, when I wear it, I think I'm more conscious of my posture and I tend to stand up straighter and tighten my abs. I seem to feel my abs are weaker in the summer, when I'm not wearing my shapewear. I'm going to look into that brand you mentioned that includes arms, because I could definitely use some help in that area.

Cindy

the lady at lane bryant is absolutely right. shapewear/any type of support material should never be worn long term/constantly. it starts to compensate for your muscles working and you can lose elasticity in your skin if it is constantly banded.

just think of it as your muscle going into atrophy. when someone wears a cast for 6 weeks, they lose muscle strength. same way when someone uses a Shapewear.< /p>

if you're gonna get it to wear under certain items of clothing, fine...but it should not be worn everyday. and it most definitely does not firm anything!!!

hope this helps

I used to just wear the Old Navy camis, but a few months ago I switched to wearing the Flexees fatfree tanks and they're amazing. They smooth out my back/bra fat and waist and make my clothes look great. They're not ridiculously firm like a girdle. They're nice and soft with light support.

I agree with cwm that they help with being cold. It's crazy how cold I've been recently. My 150lb boyfriend is walking around the house in boxers and I have on socks, long pants and a fleece hoodie. :o

I LOVE my shapewear! Although I do not wear it all the time I do wear it frequently! Not only does it give me smooth lines, I really think it helps my confidence, especailly when I am bummed about my weight lost progress. I have found it helps me to see progress and everyone compliments me, after all it is still my hard work! I use Spanx and bodywraps! Bodywraps are better in my opinion, they are more durable and breath better and more comfortable, can be found in high end boutiques.

I am only 4 months post op / 35 pounds down and I just bought a flexees thats kinda like the corset but comes over the shoulders and high in the back .. its one of those "wear your own bra" models since I can never get everything to fit in 1 garment .. anyway it's for a x-mas party today and for what I paid it sure as heck better perform a christmas miracle

I agree with what most people are posting here - DON'T wear it all the time. It's just not good for you. I can understand wearing it when you go out, but then try to be au-natural whenever you're home or having a more relaxed low key day or outting. :)

According to me, you should not wear it all the time. When you need the requirement of it then only go for it.. You are going for party, walk, shopping, etc.. You can wear it.. In home, you should give relaxation to the body..

Here is the wide range of : shapewear for women .

I say wear it if you like it...myself, it just makes me feel fat and miserable. Its just punishment to a fat girl which in my head I guess Ill always be...

Lol, I agree, I hate the feeling of wearing them, likening it to punishment for being fat makes me giggle. I figure if something I want to wear shows rolls and jiggles, then I'm probably too old to wear it, sigh. To me Shapewear is for that once in a blue moon really special dress and not for everyday. I have this annoying roll of back fat, a muffin top, its bizarre. Perfectly flat stomach, never hangs over my jeans but the back fat does. Solution - jeans that fit and dont squeeze the fat, not shapewear to squeeze into a pair of jeans a size too small.

Although I do have a couple of tanks and I can wear those comfortably - under a really fitted Tshirt, they smooth EVERY body, not just cuddlier people - seeing your navel through a tshirt is never a really good look.

Sadly though, they are never going to actually improve loose skin, they just camouflage.

I have the Spanx cami and I wear them everyday while I'm out and working. I love them. I would trade them for anything and makes me feel like everything is tight and held in. There's not worse then seeing a overweight women with nothing underneath and it all hanging out and looking sloopy. It grosses me out. I want to look my best even if I just running a quick errand. I wear mine under everything even t-shirts. I don't wear it when I'm at home or anything.

i wear the slimming tanks every single day. Best (and cheapest...so bonus!!) are from Wal Mart....they're called Secret nothings?? Something like that. They just look like a regular tank..like the longer ones that everyone is wearing under basically everything now a days....but the whole torso is a thicker material that just smooths you out..they're RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING. Now, i do take them off when i get home...but anytime i'm leaving the house, it goes on...looks cute under shirts & can be dressy or casual. I LOVE them....they smooth out the back and muffin top...just sayin....

I love my Shapewear and I have to say I wear them more days than not, it helps my mind notice the changes because the hanging skin makes me feel like I haven't made progress, the shapewear helps me see the new shape of my body. The compliments from others on my shape keep me motivated to continue down my path as well.

If you wish to enhance your body shape and look better, there are many shape wear available that shapes your body. This full body girdle shaper reduces, shape and tone all around.

Best Shapewear