Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some encouragement

Sometimes I pat myself on the back for my weight loss and the changes I've made and other times I feel like I'm not doing enough.

I'm 6 months out and think I should be further into my weight loss goals. Can anyone share their motivation and the secrets they tell themselves to get remotovated?

I'm not looking for a magic pill and know that I will have to work at this but just need some encouragement.

Don't get down. The weight loss has been slow for me, too, but you know what? It's a LOSS. That is the best NSV if nothing else. Plus, when you have less to lose (less than 100 lbs in your case) it's not going to come off as fast. I had the same problem. I have about 100 lbs to lose and I will sometimes look at other profiles and they had their surgery around the same time I did but I've lost less, but in the grand scheme of percentages, we're about equal. So, don't let it get you down.

I recently started to really push myself to exercise more and I think that it's making a big difference, too. It's hard to work out constantly if you work, have a family, etc. but just small little changes can all add up.

You're doing great. Don't get discouraged! :)

I agree excersise is key! I was at a stall in weight loss and uped the intensity and frequency of excersise. It got that scale moving again. Are you journaling? Are you getting enough fluids in? You may want to take your measurments, sometimes people don't loose weight but loose inches. Try not to beat yourself up and move on from here. Everyday is an opportunity to do the right thing.

Hi! It sounds like you have roughly the same amount to lose that I did. I've really found that blogging is a huge help to keep me focused and motivated. I don't know if that's your thing, but it's worth considering. I also follow a lot of other bandsters' blogs, and found that to be really inspiring and motivating.

Consider signing up for an exercise class. Not just the gym, but a class where you actually have to show up and where there are other people who will notice if you don't go. I see that you're in the city, and there are plenty of options here -- one of the Boot Camps, Soul Cycle, Physique 57, etc. You could also do a yoga class if you're just getting into working out.

Other than that, just try to avoid slider foods and to follow the band rules. Following them 90% of the time is plenty to get the scale moving in the right direction -- you don't have to be perfect to make this work.

I hope that helps! Here's to your success during the next 6 months! Also, I wanted to say that, as long as you're losing, you are doing great. This is not a race, and the slower you lose, the more time your skin has to catch up with your new body.

Best wishes,

Catherine

Thank you Catherine, VLP and Ginger!

Catherine, I'm not into blogging but have followed your blog :thumbup: I recently become a Zumba Instructor and take classes at least 3 times a week.

I'm going to follow all of your advise and THANK YOU very much :)

I'm 6 months out and think I should be further into my weight loss goals. Can anyone share their motivation and the secrets they tell themselves to get remotovated?

The secret is to keep a positive attitude and not let yourself get unmotivated.

• Be happy with your progress no matter how slow. Progress is progress.
  • Try not to set time driven goals if you will get depressed if you don't meet them.
  • Do not compare yourself to others. We are all very different people.
  • Think about how much better you feel emotionally and physically now as compared to before surgery.

Catherine, I'm not into blogging but have followed your blog :) I recently become a Zumba Instructor and take classes at least 3 times a week.

I'm going to follow all of your advise and THANK YOU very much :wink2:

That is so great! I love Zumba -- it's so much fun! All that exercise is going to be a huge help! So glad that you read my blog -- nice to "talk" to you on here! :)

Catherine

Thank you all for the great support! It means alot to me :lol:

My weight loss has been slow also mainly because after surgery my insurance changed and I could not go in as often for an ajustment. But now that I am at a good spot (in restriction) the weight is coming off faster. You are doing just fine, you are losing and changing your behavoirs. It took me over a year to get here, but here is way betteer than where I was. You have lost 6 lbs per month and that is a good rate. We are supposed to lose betwenn 1 and 2 lbs per week and you seem right on par. Good luck on your journey.

Sweetie! Give your head a shake. You "should" be further along in your weight loss journey? Says who? Look at what you have accomplished! You are amazing, and you will succeed if you keep at it. Just remember, the scale is moving in the right direction!!!:(