Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation -- Not sure what to do??

HI all,

Not sure where this thread belongs, so feel free to move if needed.

I am currently under the 6mo. supervised diet and will be doing monthly weigh-in #3 tomorrow (1/2 way there). Once completed in November, I should be able to be approved and hopefully have the band done in late nov, early dec.

My dilema is this..

We are planning a big family vacation to Disney for 1 week at the end of March/Beginning of April. My wife wants to get the dining plan option. (1 large meal, 2 quick meals). We will be travelling with 2 picky boys (7/3 .. or 8/4 at trip time) and an infant (1 at travel time) Now, I know I won't be able to eat much on this trip, and have a few questions:

1) How do many of you handle eating on vacations? Do you share a portion from your spouse/partner/friends plates? Do you order your own meal and just toss most of it (since saving food on vacation is tough).

2) Has anyone successfully done disney for 5+ days on the band?

3) Should I just wait 3-4 more months until after we get back to have the procedure (which I assume isn't the best idea).

Just a little worried that either I will be paying for something I can't use or will be unable to experience part of the magic.

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome...

Thanks

Mark

You'll be fine.

Vacations are about spending time with your family and enjoying yourself.

The band requires no major changes to your life except how much you eat.

Eating should not be a major consideration. Just order an appetizer; kid's meal; split a meal or get a full meal. Stop eating when you are no longer hungry no matter which option you take.

Hi. I'm actually goin to disney in sept. For my vacations I always stay at a place where I have fridge access. If we eat out I always come home with leftovers so I have a place for them. I also go to Walmart while I'm there and grab things I may need like lil Snacks and Protein Shakes.

But since ur goin for the meal plan..stick to ur small portions and stick to the stuff u should be eating and if u don't eat it all and can't bag it up for later then toss..its only food.. You'll be fine..don't overthink it..it shouldn't be an issue. Have fun on ur vaca

//Just a little worried that either I will be paying for something I can't use or will be unable to experience part of the magic.//

One of the first things you quickly get over as a bandster is that food has no magic. It is nutrition, pure and simple. When we get extra, it's either 'waist' or 'waste' and it all goes to crap in the morning. <grin> So, that said, it's an all-inclusive vacation. Enjoy the entire experience. food still tastes pretty good (though you will find your tastes change) and it will still be part of the experience you can share with your family.

I personally feel a great victory when I eat what I want from a plate of food and toss the rest. I used to bring food home for the dog and I ended up with a fat dog. My advice is to just let it go. Your mind set will truly change once banded and it won't be an issue.

Take care and be well.

Ducati Bonnie

Hubby and I are going to Disney in November and we're doing the deluxe dining plan only because he wants to go to a bunch of dinner shows. I'm not going to worry. I'll make the best choices possible and what I cant eat I dont. :thumbup:

I am actually talking to a CSR about this so as I hear more I will keep this thread updated. They do have a dining plan Quick Service which is smaller meals and Snacks and it is cheaper, but my only issue is that whichever plan you pick is for everyone in the group, so expressing a few ideas and seeing what the CSR says.