Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My incision looks like it maybe getting infected WARNING PICS

100_1524-1.jpg

It's hard to get a pic of but there's a pink/red area on the edge of my incision. In the middle of that area there are 3 heads. They look like whiteheads. Should I be concerned or just keep an eye on it?

I know this incision looks awful. They didn't clean them very well before they applied the Dermabond and it kind of smeared the blood.

If they look like pimples or spider bites call your Dr. Not to scare you but that is how Staph tends to present itself, and the sooner they find out the better.

Good luck and I hope I am wrong

Yeah I would call just to be sure, from this web page

"The bacterial infection surfacing in schools and other settings around the country is called methicilin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA. It is primarily a skin infection, often resembling a pimple, boil or spider bite at its onset"

MRSA (staph infections) Warning Signs and Preventive Measures

Before you "jump the gun" on the infection idea... do you have an opsite over the incision or surgical adhesive? Have you showered & cleaned the incision? I can't tell from your picture.

It's covered in Dermabond. I have showered and cleaned it but since it's all covered in Dermabond you can't really clean it.

I have no fever.

probably smart to call the dr and check. Better safe than sorry.

Okay I called my mom and she works for a surgeon. He said it sounded like it was infected and to call my surgeon ASAP. So I called my surgeon and his nurse said to keep an eye on it today and call her back first thing tomorrow morning and tell her how it looks. She thinks it's not an infection but a reaction I'm having to the Dermabond.

I'm not sure. I know the last abdominal surgery I had was my gallbladder and I was fine with the Dermabond but I had a major reaction to the sutures. My body expelled them after 3 days and my wounds got infected. So I watch surgical incisions very closely now.

Don't put anything like neosporin on it. If you have an infection it will only make things worse, believe it or not.

Amanda, I am a surgical nurse on post -op unit that is why I asked you about the surgical adhesive & cleaning the incision. From your picture I'm thinking the dermabond was applied with blood& betadine still on skin. By the way I'm the one who gave you the info on Syntrax!

It was and that's making all my incisions look nasty. They have blood smeared all over them and then plastered there by the Dermabond. It's hard to tell where 2 of them start and end.

I'm loving that Syntrax! I already went through my samples and ordered 2 full size tubs. That stuff tastes awesome!