Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a few concerns of mine

1- i barely drink the Protein Shakes. ive tried 6 and they all make me gag horribly. the smell, the tast, just everything about it and i KNOW im supposed to have 70-80 grams a day.

2-i can drink a lot, fast. other people i notice sip drinks, i can finish a bottle of Water in about 3 gulps. im always thirsty and am always drinking.

3-i can eat a larger ammount than i thought i was supposed to be able to handle. for isntance, i can egg a whole boiled egg, a yogurt, and a 5 oz can of chicken (like the tuna) and finally feel full. im only on stage 2 (pureed foods) and am sure i should only be able to eat about 2-3oz but im soo hunger i eat more..til im full. so shouldn't i get full way before i finish all of that?

i was banded on 7/21 by the way.

anyone have some insight into this or had the same issues? feedback is def. appreciated. =]

No you should not be able to only eat 2 ounces. You are not even a month out and the first month is for healing!!!!!!

You do not have restriction yet. You may not have restriction for several fills down the road. Don't rush things.

Right now you need to be focusing on healing, eating slowly, learning to sip, getting all yor Protein and fluids in and chewing. Practice, practice, practice! As you get restriction, you will eat less and less.

Don't let yourself get discouraged. This is a long process. You are just getting started. You are actually in the hardest phase, sometimes referred to as Bandster Hell because you have gotten the band, but it is not working for you yet.

Someone posted that this stage is like getting a new expensive sports car. It is wonderful and you just can't wait to take it out and drive it really fast - see just what it can do. But it doesn't have any gas in it yet. You have to get some gas put in (fills in your band) before it will really do all it can do.

You will get there. Just keep reading about what each stage is like on this forum.

I know how impatient you are feeling. I have been there. I am now 4 months and 4 fills out and have lost 60 pounds. My band is finally working like it is supposed to and I am a happy camper. You will be too, before long!:redface:

Edited by Froggie D

Hi..... I agree with you, the Protein drinks...I can not and will not drink them!!!! but I did find Special K... it is K 2 O protein Water mix... you mix it with your water it has 5 g of protein 30 calories no sugar... I get the pink lemonade add a slice of lemon and lime with ice it is so good. Its not as much protein as a Protein Drink but I eat chicken, tuna, cheese and eggs. And I am 6 weeks and had my first fill last monday, I am doing ok but I think I need more fills.... :party: and TIME.

You need to do a search on here about bandster hell...you are smack dab in the middle of it. BH is that time a few weeks after surgery where you're swelling goes down but you don't have any (or have very little) restriction from your empty or nearly empty band. Do some research and you'll feel much better. As said above, this is the time for healing and learning new habits, not for focusing on major weight loss. Many people lose very little the first weeks/months after surgery, a few lose none or even gain.

I was not prepared for this period. I went in to surgery expecting to immediately have a small stomach and be barely able to eat, I was, for 9 days...then all hell broke lose and I was starving to death. My doc/nurse/nutritionist had not warned me about this. I started thinking I'd made the biggest (and most expensive) mistake of my life...then I googled "2 weeks post lap band and starving" and found this forum and it all clicked. Follow your doctors orders, don't eat what you are not supposed to, your body needs the time to heal. Exercise and get into a regular routine exercising, your body needs it to boost your metabolism and lose weight, it will also help maintain your weight once it is gone. Get your Protein in...most of us here don't lose when we aren't getting our Protein, it's essential. Drink drink drink your Water....be patient.

Take a deep breath and relax. I read on one of your posts that you're about 2 weeks post op and down 13 pounds and feel like that's not fast enough. Oh child are you setting yourself up for misery. The band is not a miracle (well, not true, I actually think it IS a miracle but even the band can't make fat vanish) and does not make the weight disappear over night...it took years to get where you are and will take time to get where you want. 1-2 pounds a week appears to be average, it doesn't sound like much, but if you're consistant with it, it can be 100+ pounds in a year...which is huge, PLUS, your chances of keeping it off this time are so much higher!

Try not to obsess about the numbers, do your best to help yourself, but don't set yourself up for disappointment, you have to be realistic with your new band. It takes a while to reach restriction and takes a while to develop new/better eating and exercise habits. If you are willing to work with it and make the changes you will succeed but it does take time.

Good luck, I know it's hard, we all want it to come off fast, but it does take a while.

1- i barely drink the Protein shakes. ive tried 6 and they all make me gag horribly. the smell, the tast, just everything about it and i KNOW im supposed to have 70-80 grams a day.

2-i can drink a lot, fast. other people i notice sip drinks, i can finish a bottle of Water in about 3 gulps. im always thirsty and am always drinking.

3-i can eat a larger ammount than i thought i was supposed to be able to handle. for isntance, i can egg a whole boiled egg, a yogurt, and a 5 oz can of chicken (like the tuna) and finally feel full. im only on stage 2 (pureed foods) and am sure i should only be able to eat about 2-3oz but im soo hunger i eat more..til im full. so shouldn't i get full way before i finish all of that?

i was banded on 7/21 by the way.

anyone have some insight into this or had the same issues? feedback is def. appreciated. =]

Hi, we were banded the same day by the same Dr.

Have you tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or any from GNC?

For about 5 days after my surgery I did good to be able to eat 1/2 of a sugar free popsicle! I have an AP Large Band 14cc which was put in empty. I quickly found out that once my swelling went down...I was hungry! I get my first fill 8/19. I make sure I drink lots of Water and eat lots of protein..that has helped me thus far in controlling my hunger. I also found www.livestrong.com and it is a great tool in helping you track your calories and fitness. I absolutely love it! Plus, it gives me something to focus on other than my hunger or emotional hunger! It's so hard to not be so demanding of ourselves after having had this surgery. The fear of failure is always there and not to mention all the people who know about it that are constantly asking "how much have you lost so far?". As if they think the years of weight will just magically disappear a week after surgery! LOL...I was really down on myself for "only" losing 12 lbs. at my first two weeks post op. My doctor thought I had lost my mind and had to give me a reality check. He said this is "bonus" weight I am losing right now until I get my fills, then that's when you will start to lose the weight. But, it takes time...just do your best to make healthier choices with food and exercise...your weight loss is sure to come! Good luck! =)

Chrisietmr...Great reply. It helps me to hear this information again. I'm in BH but am surfing along smoothly.

Glad I could help. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow (or surf right along). I think between weeks 2 and 4 I lost a total of 1 or 2 pounds and wasn't thrilled with the whole thing but I'm now just shy of 8 months out and 80 pounds down...it DOES get better :party:

If you don't like the Protein Shakes try a Soup a (non cream veggie soup) like Tomato, broccoli, carrot and ginger or butternut and add unflavored Protein (I love unjury) to it. Make sure you are getting at least 60 grms of protein per day...with the unflavored powder 1 scoop = 20 grams!!