Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded one week ago tomorrow and I am feeling great. I go in for my post-op appointment tomorrow and I will then be able to eat pureed foods. My question is, how long after surgery did you have your first fill? How much do they fill each time? How long do you go between each fill?

My insurance will only pay for fills done within 90-days of surgery and after that it will be $250 out of my pocket for each fill. I know everyone's surgeon does it a little different than the next, but I would like some ideas of how it will go for me. (If it helps, I was banded at WLSC/Overland Park, KS.)

Thanks!

I was filled about 6 weeks after my surgery. I was only given about 4cc out of a 12 cc band. It didn't do anything for me, but the recommendations are to start slow. I was filled again about 3 weeks after that, and took another 3 CCs. That was great. I lost 10 lbs the first week. I started loosing about 2 -5 lbs a week after that. I was upset witht the whole processs until I got me 2nd fill, then I became a believer, and I'm totally satisfied with my decision to have the lapband. Good luck. btw, I'm down 60 lbs total, and had my surgery Feb 8, 2010. The best part is I'm off insulin.

I was banded one week ago tomorrow and I am feeling great. I go in for my post-op appointment tomorrow and I will then be able to eat pureed foods. My question is, how long after surgery did you have your first fill? How much do they fill each time? How long do you go between each fill?

I had my first fill 30 days after surgery and then a fill every 2 weeks. I was at 8cc within 90 days after surgery, but over the last 8 1/2 months, I've gone in a couple times to get some taken out. I know my clinic charges $250 to the insurance company but if you don't have insurance, they don't charge more than $100...which I think is a crock since the tech spends all of 5 minutes with me.

I was filled 4 weeks post op. They initially put in 3.5 cc. I returned three days later, dehydrated from vomiting and had a complete unfill. Since then, I've had one refill (to 2.8cc) and one mini unfil (took out .3cc) because a month after the refill it was suddenly too tight.

My story is not the norm. Not everyone has reactions like that. Heck, 4 months out, I'm still only at 2.5cc.

My Dr lets me schedule my fills when I feel I need them- no strict schedule.

I'm the other side of the spectrum. I had 4ccs in a 10cc band at surgery. 4 weeks later I got 1.5 (to 5.5) and last Monday I got 2.25 (to 7.25), only 9 weeks out.

I don't need more; I might need a little out, but I'm riding the tide until Monday (2 weeks after fill). My surgeon told me its very individualized as to what amount of saline in the fill creates a "successful fill" or sweet spot -- when you can eat 1 c of food every 3-4 hours and not be hungry in between.

I have Blue Cross HMO. I was told I get free fills for a year after surgery and then its $250.

I've read on this forum that sometimes a sweet spot goes away and you need a fill or unfill after a month or so. I'm just going day by day and trying not to think about it so much :-).

Good luck to you!