Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you do in preparation for surgery? (kind of personal)

I regards to personally...

-Did you shave downstairs? (I have never had surgery so I am a little curious as to what the process of it all is like)

-I am a little nervous of just getting naked in front of a doctor. (i know they see it all the time but I don't)

-What was it like when you woke up from surgery?

Admittedly I did do a little trimming, but nothing major. I didn't worry at all about the dr seeing me naked because I wasn't conscious for it anyway.

The first thing I remember from waking up after surgery was still having the oxygen mask on, but not being able to lift my arms to move it off of my face. That passed quickly. Once the recovery nurse noticed that I was awake, she started asking me question and also asked me how much pain I was in. She then gave me a shot of painkillers.

It really wasn't bad at all, but it can be stressful if you mind is running wild on the days right before surgery.

No you shouldn't need to shave. Neither the band nor the port are placed in that area!

I trimmed a bit and shaved my legs, not because my doctor was hot (which he is!), but because it made me feel more comfortable. However, you could go in looking like Sasquatch and they probably wouldn't care. I'm sure they've seen it all.

My hospital gave me this special disinfectant soap that I am to use to wash the belly area for the 5 days before surgery. There have been alot of posts on here about TOM the day of surgery. Which will probably be a reality for me and I am not happy.

Depending on how your doc does the surgery he may not see much down there - some go between the legs and others do it on the side... you are draped and the only open area is the surgical area.. the nurses see more of you for sure... Do what ever you are comfortable with and remember they have seen many many big folks on the table.

I wasnt sure who would be doing the draping and such and so I just trimmed up and shaved my legs...just in case I ended up on display.

I cleaned downstairs cause I knew i would getting a cather(spelling) for atleast the surgery.. The took it out right after surgery i guess, dont remember it..

Not a thing. They only dealt with my belly area and the doc and nurses were considerate enough to pull a sheet over my lower half before lifting my gown to prep my belly and in after care.

I only used the disinfectant soap the night before and morning of, like I was told.

Hey, I'm paying the doctor to look at my pubes.

LOL Laura...good way of looking at it!

I wasn't given any special soap to use, just instructions to shower that morning and not to use any deoderant, lotions, powders, perfume, etc.

I did shave my legs and underarms just because I knew it would be a couple of days before my next shower and I didn't want a jungle growing in those areas.

I didn't do anything for my pubic area.

I didn't get undressed in front of anyone. I was behind a curtain when I changed into the gown. I still had the gown on when they put me to sleep and it was on when I woke up. What they did in between those times I was oblivious to.

I did ask my surgeon before the surgery what he was going to do with my girls since they were so big and floppy. He said he'd use tape on them to keep them up out of the way. I had a bad case of the giggles before going into surgery (and this was BEFORE I had any meds in me) and this just made me laugh even more!

I figure if I wasn't going to be aware of what was going on during the surgery, I didn't care what happened. If I farted, oh well. If I peed, oh well. Luckily, I still don't know if any of that happened because they never told me. Life is bliss when some ignorance is involved! :0)

LOL at Laura and Mel:)

I had female surgery a few months ago and honestly I could have cared less what was going on but my SIL works as a scrub tech and later on she laughed and said she checked in on me. Her exact words were I saw you but you couldn't see me and then she laughed.

I don't even want to know what she saw and I'm never using her hospital again. LOL

When I changed into the lovely surgical gown and cap, I was allowed to keep my undies on! When I woke up, they were still on, so I don't think anyone did any messing around in that area (I never even thought about a cath, but obviously that was not part of the plan, or I would have been instructed to remove U-trough). The surgery is so darn fast...I was wheeled into the OR @ 9:40...I was leaving by 11:15 (not feeling too bad, either, I might add!) Nurse told me actual surgery time is 17 minutes ---holy cow! Almost 2 weeks later...don't even feel like I had surgey except for the occassional shoulder pain reminder :(

wow thanks for all the good advice :] do they put a catheter in everyone?