Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Today was the first day of my pre-op diet. Had a Protein Drink for Breakfast, one for lunch and I sure enjoyed my dinner. I have a question do guys mix your powder with Water or milk? I mixed mine with water but I was thinking of doing it with milk so it could be thicker.... Thanks for any advise...

I would stay with water, my doctor and dietition insisted on on only using water. However my pre-op diet seems to be stricter than others on here, so maybe your doctor or nurtrionist could point you in the right direction :blushing:

HI Mom05 ! MY Pre-Op liquid diet was only 3 days but it did suck at first. In my last weight loss attempt I went through the UCLA Risk Factor Obesity Program and in my classes through them you learn that you body adjusts to a Very Calorie Diet within 3 days or so. You actually stop feeling physical hunger. You just have to watch out for Emotional eating / triggers and whatnot. By yesterday my physical hunger was gone.

Just think how great your new life and on the other side will be ! I have been living with another person with me for 40 years it is nice to finally start my process of getting rid of him.

You will be fine ... you will be better then fine, you will be GREAT !!!

-Brian :blushing:

I'm getting banded tomorrow, well later today since it's after midnite. I'm so nervous about the surgery. Been on Clear Liquids for 2 days and i'm so hungry, i'm hoping this hunger goes away since i'll be on liquids for another 2 weeks.

I AM BACK !!!! And I have very little pain or discomfort... actually I feel almost 98% NORMAL RIGHT NOW. The 2% is for the big gauze bandage at my belly button where the port is and some very little gas. I am actually feeling no pain at all. Maybe it might change in a hour or a day but now 8 hours Post Surgery I feel great. I feel renewed !!! :smile::smile2::blushing::cursing::tt1:

Anyway I get there 11:20am, filled forms, and go into Pre-Op. I actually had my surgery is a upscale Surgery Center - Valencia Town Center Surgery which is in an upscale outdoor mall. I didn't think much of it at first but behind the store front lobby is a fully equipped and staffed O.R. I was amazed. And it was upscale and nice to boot - not very sterile hospital like but a nice operating room / recovery room.

My Doctor is Dr. Michael Feiz of Beverly Hills and I did in in Dr. Mark Lussier's Valencia Town Center Surgery. Dr. Feiz is my surgeon who stopped counting his Lap Bands after 1000 and he does 10-15 a week. Dr. Lussier is the Surgery Center owner / boss / Plastic Surgeon and he has been extraordinary in his support.

The actual surgery I have no recollection of as I was out like a light. I woke up around 2pm after a 40 minute surgery. He also fixed my Hiatal Hernia. I was pretty groggy and in some discomfort but no real pain just very very groggy and discomfort / annoyance.

I got home around 3pm and went to bed immediately / out like a light. I woke up around 7pm and have felt basically normal ever since. Actually as I type this I feel great - hopefully I just didn't jinx myself or I don't know how I will feel tomorrow... But I do feel great now.

-Brian :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::tt1:

Congratulations!! I hope it will be that easy for the rest of us. :couch2: You make it sound like a walk in the park and that is very encouraging. I pray you will feel this good tomorrow. Rest well. :smile: PitPat

AnnaOz: thanks for your reply, Yes I think I am going to stick with mixing it with Water and hopefully in a couple of days I'll feel better.

BrianLA: So glad to hear from you and that you are doing so well. Did you have the new procedure where it's just one aparatus that goes through the belly button and opens up once inside you? I was reading about that... it seems so much better... and yes I do tend to be an emotional eater at times, that is something I really need to work on.

Saturday September 25th! cant freakin wait!:blushing::w00t:

Hiya Mom05 ! No I didn't have that procedure... My Doctor being a Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon goes for only minimal amount of incisions plus he hides the port in the belly button. Yes I am a very emotional eater plus I eat waaaay too much fast food ( I am a single guy who lives alone plus hates to cook ) so I figure the lap Band is great for me because it will be a control mechanism which will stop me by being full real fast.

If you are looking for a way to bulk up your chocolate Protein drink - try this that learned in UCLA RFO - use ice in a blender to mash it up and thicken it. You might try it. I don't know if it works post op as it now has ice and is thicker but pre-op it works.

Hi PitPat ! Thank you for your kind words. I don't know if my experience so far will be everyone's experience - I doubt it will - but for me so far it is going well / I am feeling very good. I don't know if tomorrow if I will be much more sore but tonight I am doing pretty good. A little, very little gas but good. :blushing:

-Brian :couch2:

Hiya Mom05 ! No I didn't have that procedure... My Doctor being a Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon goes for only minimal amount of incisions plus he hides the port in the belly button. Yes I am a very emotional eater plus I eat waaaay too much fast food ( I am a single guy who lives alone plus hates to cook ) so I figure the LAP-BAND® is great for me because it will be a control mechanism which will stop me by being full real fast.

If you are looking for a way to bulk up your chocolate Protein drink - try this that learned in UCLA RFO - use ice in a blender to mash it up and thicken it. You might try it. I don't know if it works post op as it now has ice and is thicker but pre-op it works.

Hi PitPat ! Thank you for your kind words. I don't know if my experience so far will be everyone's experience - I doubt it will - but for me so far it is going well / I am feeling very good. I don't know if tomorrow if I will be much more sore but tonight I am doing pretty good. A little, very little gas but good. :blushing:

-Brian :couch2:

Hi Brian it was encouraging to read your report this morning, right before I head to my surgery.... thanks for sharing and I hope you continue on your 98% pain free path!

To ya' all! I am getting ready in about 20 minutes to drive to my local banding airport to fly into bandland.... wish me a great flight! And pray for me!

Ready for take offffffffffffffffffffff!!!

:blushing::clap::clap:Good luck to all that are getting banded today, I will be leaving for the hospital soon to enter bandland (hehe). I can't wait , but I must admit I'm scared and nervous, I haven't been till now, but I'm so glad today is finally here after a long journy its my turn YEA!!!!

Hey guys. Woke up in more pain then yesterday and the fact that they removed my morphine but whatever I get to go home and watch my new TV addiction Weeds on NETFLIX. Thanks everyone for the support and good luck to everyone still waiting. I feel like I honestly just received a second chance at life and plan on making the best of it.

PS

my hospital roommate just informed me that his friend last week ate a cheese steak sandwich after only having the band for 3 weeks *sigh*

Our Special Dates:

Today: September 9

Butterfly2010, aliciaj, Olsweetmusic

THIS WEEK: Good luck too those of you having your surgery this week. Let us know when you get a chance how you are doing after your surgery. We will have you in our thoughts.

September 10 - ally UK, angelpix, jmariedel, jlr58, Mandyrae, Desiree1972, drm1123*

September 11 - missjoany

Next Week:

September 13 - lillyegg, debrarh, ready4change10, CalaCake, bandalley, RN.Violet, SarahMarie123, glitteryvampiregirl, ConB113

September 14 - KAS1971, TheMaxwellFamily, WAH.MOM, purplevix, Angel82

September 15 - Kysmith72, piperboo, leeblewb

September 16 - sunny day, fldanny, kimmila, onceuponaband, kissalovoe, matzobeans, sugarmoma, stephanie24p, lauravarley*

September 17 - Stateofzen, hserrra, blondeej, vega1star, helgainaz, AnnaOz, MrsFitand42, maxi2010, risenhour1

Following Week:

September 20 - RACandler, mytrice, Natalka, lbtss16, shellyh*

September 21 - angellegna29, krieck, wishful-thinking, ledgins

September 22 - ebonykisses, kittykat56, papoose, mom05, teach830, highlojack*, Scarred4Life*

September 23 - emsbugbug, cicigirl, kierstyun2010, hocuspocus

September 24 - ctrose, kmckinleyrn, South Dakota Girl

September 25 - candy Rain*

Last Week of Sept:

September 27 - babyk, LisaA, ocbutterfly, david314

September 28 - Zippy74, kosy2, ebeeze824, newbs, Marte80

September 29 - wanna.b.healthy

September 30 - sourmissg, mrsbure, cndalbs, qtney1

*newest additions

I want everyone to be recognized for this journey, so please let me know if I overlooked you.

Those approved/self pay and waiting for dates:

sarwenc

TheLovelyMissJ

desperatelyw.loss

HeatherinCA

phershey

wendyhart

PitPat

bayareanan

Bugaboo77

jakealta

32 have crossed over to Bandland:

1reign - from FL

ahlmanfamily - from MA

aliciaj - from PA

BandedNellie - from CT

Brian-LA - Brian from LA

Butterfly2010 - from NC

cece1967 -from CA

CSinTX - Cathy from TX

danide - Danielle from NY

donnalys - from AL

Esin - from London, England

Freshstart2010 - Christi from CA

gracerev - Pastor from GA

ILUVFOOD - from NJ

jshort - Jennifer from MO

kydman - from KY

LadyT39 - from FL

Lanah - from TX

lemonchick - from TX

Loyalfriend - from NC

msmith73 - from NH

Nani4five - from MI

NYsLegend78 - from NJ

Olsweetmusic - from FL

playermimi - from MA

pooky032281 - from OK

rkwilliams1013 - Rebecca from GA

Run Girl Run - from MO

sannersplace72 - from MD

spitfireleo - from MA

stephanie1975 - from Victoria, Canada

swissnis - from IL

Edited by Banded-Sept-2010

Hi Guys! I've been banded one week today and am down a total of 13 lbs! I could hardly believe my eyes! But, I've been sticking to the rules, and walking everyday like a good girl, so hard work pays off!

Good luck to everyone being banded today and this week!

wow rk - and all congrats on the weight loss and the new people getting banded.

all this information is great.

It's interesting how each Dr. does it so different.

so about the post op liquids, My dr has me on that for a week, but I haven't heard any particulars about it except Cathy (thanks)

so CS or anyone on the post op clear fluids- when you say sugar free juice, what does that mean, is this a drink made with nutra sweet- cause any juice, even fresh made carrot juice will have sugar. So are we talking like a crystal lite drink thats juice flavored.

and broth? does anyone have a fav- are you all doing the msg bullion type thing or has anyone made their own. or is that allowed - I'm thinking of making some and freezing as I know I won't want to afterwards.

Jello, interesting, I was listening to a webinair from dr ortiz and he calls jello solid food I think that's what he said. I just want to stalk up on the right stuff-

cS I'll try the tea suggestion.

It's hard to imagine a week of clear liquid- is there no hunger? Like why not juice with sugar, does anyone know why? is it just the swelling is such your body can't handle anything, even sugar? I imaging now a week of clear liquid and I think starving!!!

Anyway momof5, I started my preop diet a month before surgery so I could make sure I lost the 15 lbs they felt I should- to shrink the liver. I mix with milk and juice- and ice in the blender. even a little fruit from time to time. My doc doesn't have a clear liquid preop time- you can chose that one, but if you don't and do the 2 shakes and a lean cuisine for at least 2 weeks you don't need to also do clear fluids. Beside getting and earlier date, which isn't possible for me, what are other reasons one might do clear fluids for a couple days preop. does it help with comfort/ gas etc.? I wonder. anyway some fat free milk or a little juice for flavor doesnt' raise the calories that much but really gives good flavor. I think it was RK earlier in this thread posted some really great protien shake recipes.< /p>

Well good luck all, thanks for posting all the great info.

thinking about all the new bandsters out there.

lisa

Hi NYsLegend78 - How come you got Morphine / a hospital stay ? I know different surgeons and programs are different but I was in and out yesterday, didn't get morphine and 98% pain free. My doctor did prescribe a liquid pain killer ( Hydrocodine or something like that and I have taken it a few times ) and some anti-nausea pills too. One drug was over the counter.

I Hope you are doing better today and good luck on your road to recovery.

-Brian :blushing:

My Dr did the one port hidden in the bellybutton just like Brian's Dr. Today is day 2 postop and I can't wait to get off this clear liquid diet. My biggest craving is for milk which I can have starting tomorrow. Tomorrow I begin full liquids.