Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many of the posts that I've been reading will have the phrase "but it's not for everyone". Could you explain what this means? Does it mean that physically, the band may not do well in some bodies? Does the body not adjust to the presence of a foreign material? Will the stomach never really accept this piece of silicone (or whatever it's made of)wrapped around it?

Or does this mean mentally, some of us will never accept the fact that we cannot/will not adjust our eating and exercise habits to make the band work for us?

I'm scheduled for my second informational session in August. I'm anxious to get the process started. But some recent reading from the negative sides got me thinking -- are there some people that physically cannot use the band?

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't think that if you're weak...either physically or mentally, that surgery is necessarily for you.

The actual surgery is easy.

Learning to eat, battling our eating demons, learning to adjust to the band - those things are all physically and mentally painful.

I, actually, just blogged about this very thing. I don't think this surgery is for everyone.

There were months, at the beginning, that I fought depression because I thought that I made the wrong decision, that I thought my band would never work, that it hurt every time I ate, that I questioned everything I did. You HAVE to be strong.

Now - 5 months later, I am ecstatic with my band. However, it's been a long road. And, I've been blessed enough to have had one of the top lapband surgeons (and his team!) behind me (being aggressive with fills!), my family and friends behind me and a whole slew of people supporting me, every step of the way. Not everyone has this and it's vital to being successful.

Personally, I HATE it when people come on here and say that we need more motivation and that the band is "just a tool". Yes, the band is part of the process...but having the right fill and following the eating "rules" is more important than anything.

Bottom line is - I don't regret it. I'm 100% happy with my band. But, it's hard and don't expect to feel ecstatic the day (or even months) after surgery.

I think I would explain it as "not the solution for everybody". My band has been a great tool but it is not a solution to my eating habits and emotional sabotage. It does not force me to be 'good' but when I am bad, at least it stops the extremes that I can go to - that is why it is simply a tool for me. I still have to put in all of the effort that I would with any other healthy eating and exercise plan. Despite all of my research and knowledge beforehand, I think I did hope my band would be the final answer or solution to my food problems but it will never be that. As was previously mentioned unless you can find the strength to do the work, it will not be a "solution" to any problem. Must say though when I am in the right space and have it working well, it really does work well for me - just wish I could master that all of the time.

I agree with k-baby; it's not the right solution for everyone. It requires behavior changes that not everyone is willing or able to make. IMO, it requires a fair amount more "work" than some other procedures. And at least initially, it may require a LOT more patience. (Sticking to an eating plan before you achieve restriction is hard, and can be difficult emotionally, if you're not prepared.)

When I say, "It's not for everyone," it's not a judgment---it's just an acknowledgment that not everyone has the same needs or expectations.

It was TOTALLY the answer for me. My body requires ridiculously few calories, and fewer still to lose. It's a tool that allows me to give my body what it needs without going insane with hunger. It does require that I choose the "right" foods, and exercise, and all that good stuff. But it gave me the boost I needed.

Someone else might do better with RNY, which has an element of malabsorption and the threat of dumping syndrome to boost loss. Others still might do better with old-fashioned diet and exercise---or simply waiting until they've "hit bottom" and are ready to make the changes necessary (for whatever route they take).

That's all I mean when I say, "It's not for everyone."

I think that, from a physical standpoint, most people do pretty well with the bands available today.

I am actually wondering if it was right for me or not. I'm 2 1/2 months post-op, eating between 800-1200 calories a day, 2 fills in with 5cc's in my 10cc band, and have continued to gain and lose the same 2-3 pounds for the last month. I have started to do some mild exercise, which is big for me since I hate exercising. But I have come to realize that calorie deficiency alone is not going to do it for me. But...with that said, I am frustrated, confused and over all, wondering if this is going to work for me.

Heather, don't give up hope! You're in that awful stage where the band isn't quite doing the trick quite yet. A little more adjustment, and I will bet anything that you will be more confident and pleased with your decision.

Adding exercise is a BIGGIE--for me, it is a critical piece of the puzzle. As you get more accustomed to it, you may find yourself loving it :)

One of the things the dietician told me before surgery is that you have to "retrain your brain" and that success is 90% Mental.

Good Luck to you. Im only 5 days post op so cant say long term but so far Im great with it. But I dont think I have my appetite back yet, but I am full on 3oz of some form of liquid.

Linkco - When I say it's not for everyone, it's because some people do not want to put the effort into it that is needed or are willing to change their habits. Someone that is a "grazer" or a junk food junkie that wants to continue to eat that way will more than likely not have much success with the band. There are very few people, although a few on these boards, that their bodies cannot physically tolerate the band for whatever reason.

There is a part of the lap band process that requires the person to make changes to the way they eat and really try and change the reasons they eat. That may be the most difficult for many people. I had reservations about the lap band initially because I knew what kind of eater I was, BUT, I was willing to change and it was the only WLS I would personally consider at the time.

It's a journey that goes far beyond just getting the surgery and fills. But I don't want to scare you, it is doable if you sincerely want to change your life and the desire and will is there. Support helps in whatever form you get it. This forum helps many of us as well as face-to-face groups. It is a journey that requires you to make changes for the rest of your life in terms of possibly what you can eat, how much and how fast. But I feel that the payoff is well worth it.