Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do with too-big clothes?

I had this problem in the beginning too after my 1st big weight loss. I had a yard sale..clothes always sell so well at yard sales lol. But I took the profits and donated them to my local animal shelter. I made about $700..with the proceeds and setting up a donation jar. Charity yard sales might be a option once it starts gettin cooler out..u get to pick the charity of ur choice. It was a wonderful feeling going down to the shelter and handing them my proceeds :rolleyes2: I also sell a few things here and there on ebay if they're clothes I only wore a couple times..sometimes I only get to wear something once or twice before its baggy after spoending $30-50. Just some ideas..I'm sure u'll find something to do with them.

I'll be taking anything that can qualify to a new plus sized consignment shop that's opening here in town in a few days (the shop's owned by a friend, so it's going to help both of us! :w00t:).

A few things will be going to a friend who's had bypass surgery and will probably stay about one size behind me along my way... She's at her 1-year anniversary so her loss has slowed some, and she's much taller than I am.

The rest I'll donate to Safe Place (a women's shelter).

When I lost 100+ a few years ago, I sold a TON of clothes on Ebay, but it was a lot of work to do. I'll probably make less money with the consignment process, but it will be way easier. I wish I'd waited to sell that stuff back then -- who knew all that weight was going to come back, and bring some friends?!? I had to buy all new fat clothes as the weight came back. Ah well, at least I kept the smaller clothes so I don't have to shop again on the way back down this time! :rolleyes2:

Many ladies (I haven't seen the men do it) swap clothes or pass on clothes through the Sisterhood of Traveling Pants (or something like that) through the blogging community.

Often times, someone will post on their blog what size clothes they have along with photos of the clothes, and people who read their blog will comment saying what itmes they want. The blogger then packs it up and ships it off.

There is usually no charge for this. It's done with the assumption that the next person will pass along items as well.

There is some cost involved with this, but, if you give as well as receive, it should all even out in the end.

I'm planning on giving most of mine to Goodwill. I will keep a few of my favorite pieces in order to make a quilt.

I'm planning on giving most of mine to Goodwill. I will keep a few of my favorite pieces in order to make a quilt.

Love the quilt idea! Maybe some throw pillows :blushing:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches