Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How painful was your surgery on a scale of 1-10

I had absolutely ZERO pain. Of course they give you narcotics in the hospital. And I took the prescription pain med for one day. I slept in a recliner for a couple of nights just to be on the safe side. But I never felt one bit of pain.

The post-op gas pressure was uncomfortable in my neck and one shoulder. A heating pad helped a lot with that.

I did have a fair amount of nausea for a week after surgery. Definitely give yourself at least a week off work to heal and take it easy.

I was banded 22 days ago and the first day I would say was a 3. I took the liquid pain meds that I was given in the hospital before I was release. Didn't need any the rest of the day. On the second day I took another dose even though I would have only given my pain level a 2. (I was afraid that it was going to get worse.:)) Those were the only 2 times I took the pain meds.

My only pain and been discomfort around my port area and it's finally getting to the point where I don't notice it anymore. Most of my discomfort is at bedtime while I'm trying to roll around and get comfortable.

This was also my first surgery ever... I was terrified!:biggrin:

I would say a 3. It was really not bad at all!

3.5 first surgery ever....just tender around p ort site

Mine was about a 2. I didn't have any gas pain, or shoulder pain. It went incredibly smooth for me.

I would have to say that the pain after I got out of surgery was at a 10. I had a huge hiatial hernia (they said it was the biggest one they had seen, and instead of the normal 1 stitch they use, they had to use 4 on me), and they had to stitch it to my diaphram, so it hurt really bad, adn it still hurts a little, and i just had surgery yestury. I didnt have much gas, but the hernia repair definately made up for it.

Me, I had surgery yesterday. I don't feel my incision site or my port site. The trapped gas was a 7 - 8 yesterday and a 5ish today. Deep breathing helps with the exchange. Won't lie, the trapped gas has been pretty bad. If you haven't had the surgery yet, imagine trying to pass intestinal gas....but you can't pass it. It will stick under your ribs and move up into your right shoulder. Sucks but it will be totally worth it when I can wear a size 10 again!

I was a 3 for probably two days after... It was way, way, way less painful than childbirth!!!!

I only used demerol for 1 day after surgery. On day 5 post-op, I had seriously bad gas pains which was fixed almost immediately with a couple of Gas-x strips.

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to say my natural childbirth was a 10, having my gall bladder out the old fashioned way was a 9 and this was a 1.

I took pain meds day of surgery only. I had left shoulder pain on day three, four and five and that was a 1.5 for me - more of an annoyance.

I was off 5 days and back to work.

All in all, it was a breeze. Worst part was tiredness and some blue moods the first few weeks.

This was my first surgery too and it was very easy. I would say it was a 3-4 the day of and the day after, but after that I no longer needed pain meds and went back to work. I would say the hunger pains getting through the two weeks of Clear Liquids was far worse.

This was my first surgery and I would say 2-3, maybe. then again, I was accidentally ODing on pain meds for the first 2 days- I was taking 2-3tablespoons ever 4 hours, instead of teaspoons. There's a reason you shouldn't be in charge of your own medication right out of surgery.

oh for sure a 2, and that's because of the shoulder pain. i want to say it took me a good week to get rid of it. i used the thermacare heat pads and walked off the gas ;o)

Zero pain. No nausea b/c I let them know I usually have it bad so the doc put in extra stuff to protect against it and it worked.

Getting my teeth yanked was more traumatizing for me even when I was put under.

Could someone please explain why the gas and shoulder pain? I am a newbie awaiting surgery and never imagined this pain.

I rate it very low, a 3 probably. I had my gallbladder out about 7 weeks before and it was a 10. I took the pain med for a few days but found I really didn't need it. The port site is the worst, and it is more an irritation. My problem is that I am just so tired.

THAT makes me feel better. I'm 3 weeks from being banded and they keep telling me it will be no worse than when I had my gallbladder out... which was awful!!! Before that surgery everyone told me it wasn't that bad and i'd be up and back to work in a few days... I was miserable for 2 weeks!!! So if you had a painful gallbladder too and your banding wasn't as bad it gives me hope! Thanks!