Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Effectiveness of LapBand on men

First time post here. I'm in the early stages of getting authorized for surgery. Actually attended my first support meeting last night as a prerequisite for surgery. 95% of attendees were Bypass clients, only 3 banded folks. My question is I've been told by my surgeon the banding works better for women than men. Have you found that to be true? Would appreciate hearing from any guys that have been banded to see if it has worked for you. I am hoping to lose 75 pounds.

thanks for the info

Pocono59

Yes. It works

Lost 101 pounds so far

BMI down from 60 to 46

Went from a 58 Waist (ish) to a 48 waist (ish)

Started on 2/17 of this year.

I think its one of those stats like "you only lose 60% of your excess weight" - its completely within your control.

My DH is banded also. He got banded at a BMI of 36 and has gotten down to a BMI of about 29 or so. He's fine with that. He's not into how he looks much. Like a lot of men, he thinks he's fine how he is now and isnt motivated to do much more. Health risks down, check, buy clothes in normal stores, check. Fit in with the blokes, check. What else would he want?

Were he a woman now, lol, well, we're always making sure we're thinner than the woman next to us, that we can fit into THIS latest fashion craze, that our nails, our hair, our make up is perfect. We're much vainer creatures by and large and probably willing to put ourselves through a lot more to get that "look" we're after.

That's a generalisation of course and in no way does it apply to every man or every woman, but its also generally true that women do tend to be more compliant with doctor's advice and instructions by and large.

There'd be no actual physical reason why the band would work better for a female and of course how hard you want to work is entirely within your control.

IMO, since men have more muscle mass than women, I think it's much easier for us to lose - especially when properly exercising. Once you get your metabolism cranking, the calorie expenditure from the muscle mass alone will carry you further.

Brad

Yes the band works for men and there are a lot of guys on here to prove it. I myself am down over 140 in less than a year. Like Jack said above, if you follow the plan it will work.

Thanks for the info and the encouragement. I should be ready for surgery in late October.

Absolutly yes! surgery on may 25th. total weight loss 41 lbs. since surgery i have lost 26lbs.

I was banded may 7th and have lost 95 lbs so in my opinion the band works great in men. U know this is not a magic weight loss cure ,its a tool, and it all depends on how well u learn to use that tool. Good luck

Well...Its works for men...My day of surgery was 4.15.10 and I was 272 and now I'm 237....that is 35 pounds, but this year, I have gone from 286 to 237, which is 49lbs.....It works! My doctor told me that I have lost more than bypass patients...So it doesn't matter what surgery you get its up too you and the work you put in to lose the weight.

Edited by Vitamin D

I am losing much faster than my female friends with the band. But we are all different ages, had different starting weights, different fat/muscle compositions.

Follow the plan and you will be just as successful if not more. We've all seen the stats from the research but there is no reason why I cannot get to my goal of 80% of excess loss despite the 60% statistic.

Yeah I have to agree with everyone above. I am sorry but I didnt like the thought of my indoor plumbing being "rerouted" permantely lol.

I am liking the big numbers I see in the posts before me, and so far since July 1 I have already lost 30 (probably more go in for a weigh on Tuesday) and the nurse is just flabergasted by the numbers I am throwing up week after week.

Wife aint complaining either :wub:

Yeah I have to agree with everyone above. I am sorry but I didnt like the thought of my indoor plumbing being "rerouted" permantely lol.

I am liking the big numbers I see in the posts before me, and so far since July 1 I have already lost 30 (probably more go in for a weigh on Tuesday) and the nurse is just flabergasted by the numbers I am throwing up week after week.

Wife aint complaining either :wub:

Your numbers are great but that picture in your avatar is priceless!!!!

I think besides physiology, the reason men lose faster is because we are stubborn. When we set our mind to something we do it. Women, not so much.

LOL thanks. We were up at a cabin in the Smokeys and there was a hot tub. Told my wife I was afraid of the Water.< /p>

I think besides physiology, the reason men lose faster is because we are stubborn. When we set our mind to something we do it. Women, not so much.

Duck!!!! :wub:

Brad

Your numbers are great but that picture in your avatar is priceless!!!!

Bob, this statement proves that you are not married. :wub: