Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Workout Literature do you recommend?

I'm talking anything from:

• Videos/DVD's

• TV Programming

• Radio Programming

• Websites

• Magazines

• books

ANYTHING!

It can be something you're doing right now, would like to try because a friend of a friend has recommended it, or one you've tried in the past... I just thought I might see what everyone out there is doing.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess.

I've had this book for a while and did some of the workouts, boy do they work you just have to do them consistently. My good friend who is in great shape uses it. It's a strength training workout book for women. Strength training is so important.

Good luck

Awesome!! Spot on, sounds like something I could definitely get in to. I don't have a regular strength training routine. I do need one, so THANK YOU!!

Recently, I've been into p90x, not because I'm looking to get epically muscular, haha, but more because it is LITERALLY the best workout with the fastest results I've ever had. lol. If I could justify buying Insanity, I would. Lately, "Beachbody" is great stuff. :biggrin: Oh, and the abdominal workout that comes with p90x is crazy. The first couple of times you do it, you feel like a totem pole for a couple of days. lol.

Edited by neveragain

Google Josh Henkin or sandbag training. For people like me for whom the mere mention of sets, reps and dumbells makes their eyes roll back into their head, its a great way to do strength training without the boredom and all the mental energy it takes to organise your routine. It gets your heartrate soaring, it makes every muscle in your body hurt, it will transform your core miraculously (I have a *just* visible six pack and I never ever do specific abdominal work) and its very functional fitness, you're training your balance and stabilisation as well. That means you can run without hurting your knees.

I find it great fun and I love anything that makes me see stars and want to puke and you really can have a workout that leaves you trembling and really worked within 20 minutes.

For cardio, I do like to use that as relaxation time and just listen to music, but I also use cardiocoach a lot. You can find that at www.cardiocoach.com. I find these programs really good for boosting fitness when I've slacked a little.

I do enjoy my twice a week people contact at bootcamp or boxing too, we've become quite a close knit group.

I'm not really into dvd's, I have a couple, but the cheesy music drives me nuts and I find they're just not hard enough, I cant bag a television (even though we have two) and I dont have the space, falling over kids schoolbags, cats, even kids! I've looked hard at Insanity, very tempted, that looks like my kind of thing, but its the tv/space/time issue for me. Often by the time everything is done and I have 'free' time, its 8pm bnoth tv's are being watched, etc.

Edited by Jachut

Not even so much direct to Irene, but to ANYONE who reads this post who is curious, my tip of the day for anyone new to the band or exercise in general is to find people who you can workout with. I can't even tell you how helpful that is. Whether it is strength training or a group exercise class of some sort, MAKE FRIENDS! When you have people you like who you know are going to be there. Also, make friends with the instructor. When you have a friendly connection with the instructor, you will be WAY more likely to go and you will feel somewhat required to go because you want the instructor to know you're working hard. Also, they are usually a dictionary of exercise tips, including this one.

Just my $.02 :biggrin:

Right now I'm using the new Bob Harper Inside Out Method dvds. They're tough. I have the P90x and am getting the Insanity soon. I'll see how they are. I'm mostly interested in the ab workouts though.

Awesome thanks everyone! These are all great!

Jacqui I'll definitely look into those you suggested. I do need some balancing work.

never, I would *really* love to get a personal trainer. After my knee surgeries I will seriously consider it.