Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you pay? Would you do it again?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What did you pay? Would you do it again?

• Self-pay, would do it again!
    • Self-pay, wouldnt do it again
    • Ins-pay full cover, would do it again!
    • Ins-pay full cover, wouldnt do it again
    • Ins-pay partial cover, would do it again!
    • Ins-pay partial cover, wouldnt do it again

Nikki my fills are covered for 90 days and then $100 after that. I havent had my first fill yet but might get it today so I will keep you posted.

I was concerned too about being selfpay..I borrowed from my 401k and took me forever to actually click "submit" on the loan request. I kept thinking of the extra $ for the next 4 years coming out my checks and than all the other things I could do with that money..like payoff debt but finally i just decided I was going to do it and as soon as I got the $ I paid for surgery..its scheduled for July 30th!!

Self pay here as well. Paid close to $18,000. I have lost about 40lbs in 5 months. My weight still goes up and down and then drops and then bounces up and down by a few lbs. If I did not make the decision to do this, I would still be the same weight or higher, still miserable, still have no self-esteem, still frustrated with my clothes and still not going out and enjoying life. Now, even though I have only lost forty, I feel better about my self and more comfortable out in the world. My kids are enjoying their life more because I am able to do more with them. I do worry that if something happens in the future, I will have to fork out money again to have it removed/replaced.

I hope we get to the point where my husband can have this or another surgery for his weight problems in the future.

I was self pay and i can honestly say- if I would have known what i know now- I would have worked 4 jobs to put away the money and do it sooner in life.. In 9 months my life completely changed.

I went from 242 lbs to 135 - losing 108 lbs and hitting goal-- I am now (bouncing) between 130-132 and am ok with that... it keeps me under goal... I went from wearing a 18/20 and some 22's to 4's and 6's... and really big 8's bc i dont want to spend anymore money on clothes.... I actually did get in some 2's but I dont know if the brand just runs big.

I feel healthy- live life now... not embarassed- but am still working on my image in my mind-- but I think that will only come with time- there is no surgery to use as a tool for that!

After shelling out almost 17k in March, the first 6 weeks I was in huge doubt, worrying about complications mostly. Since I've been losing regularly, I'm very happy with the decision and would definitely do it again.

WOW! Its great to hear from so many happy banders. I went to the doc 2day and was suppose to get 1st fill but couldnt b/c my port incision hasnt healed quite right:crying:. I am ready to get the weight loss train out of the station, so I am still having my doubts, but also still hopeful!

Thanx again for all the input

omg please tell me what dr you went to and about your fills. im getting ready to go to Mexico and have it done also

I went to Dr. Verbooten at Galenia Hospital in Cancun. Everything was arranged through International Patient Facilitators. The surgery was $5900. I spent just under $7000 total with airfare and hotel and, of course, shopping as I went several days early and had a vacation prior to the surgery. I spent a day out on a catamaran, another out on a reef snorkeling and another swimming with dolphins, seals and manatees. It was totally awesome.

I go to Weight Loss Surgical Center in Kansas City for fills. I paid $1000 for unlimited fills with fluoroscopy for 6 months. I can go in every two weeks if I want to for fills and unfills if needed.

So all total with trip to MX, vacation and fills for 6 months around $8000

I'm self pay. Around 18K, but I purchased a warranty that would cover complications for 1 1/2 years. I'm nearly 1 1/2 years out now, and so far, so good.

I've lost 100lbs. Lately I'm having a hard time losing more, but I think I need an adjustment. I have an appt in 2 weeks luckily. I would totally do it again! if I could have afforded to finance it earlier in life, I totally would have!

I'm so appreciative to my husband for being supportive of taking on the debt of my surgery. I feel it has given me new life.

To the thread starter-- you may not have lost much yet because you are in the beginning stages. It took me a couple fills to begin losing more steadily. Just follow the bandster rules and measure foods-- you'll lose!

Good luck :thumbup:

I am self-pay as well and just had the surgery on 09/10/10. I still can't believe I did it! I am down 6 pounds from surgery day.

I too am having the same thoughts...what if I have a complication? What if I have to get it removed? What if my port flips and I have to go into surgery? I am extremly nervous about how I would pay for these! But, I know I cannot dwell on the what could happens...and think about the now and following the rules.

This post and following threads have been great, thanks everyone for your input :thumbup:

Yeah- I think it's normal to worry some, but basically, I think our bands will be fine if we just follow the rules. (measure and avoid certain foods) I know that I'm very vigilant about sticking to the rules, because I can't afford any complications! That has really helped me to lose weight too.

I paid so much that I KNOW it's extra incentive for me to stick to the rules.

I was self-pay and I would do it again in a heart beat. For me, it wasn't so much about getting help LOSING the weight (though I'm of course glad for it) but it's about keeping the weight off for me. It's so nice going on vacation and knowing that I'm not going to come back 5 or 6 pounds heavier.

Of course we still have to make the same healthy choices as everyone else... but that band sure helps.

I paid 15K, and it includes a whole year of fills and follow-up with my surgeon's office (which is right in my town. hooray!) :unsure:

LOVE my band! (oh, and I just reached 50 pounds off today!)

I was self pay as well. I don't have any regrets. I am only 7 weeks post op and I am down 25lbs so far. I know that this will be a life long journey and the weight isn't going to fall off over night. I am very pleased with my decision (my bank account isn't, LOL) but I am. Good luck to you!

Technically self-pay, although my parents generously paid the $11,000 for my surgery. I feel an obvious level of responsibility to them to make it worth their money.

And it has been. I was a slow starter, but once I hit my stride (about five months post-op), I've been losing very steadily. 115 lbs in 9.5 months. I still have about 85 lbs to go, but like someone else said, it's more about not fearing gaining the weight back than losing it. I have discovered such freedom around weight loss and food that I never thought I could feel. It's incredible!

I was self pay too. $12,999 including fills and office visits for a year. I would do it again in a minute. I put mine on a very low interest credit card.

Cheri