Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you eat with your family?

I am currently on soft foods. I have not had my first fill. I am trying to obey the no drinking 30 minutes prior and 60 minutes after.

I am so skewed from my husband and two son's eating schedule. Initally, I am okay with this. But, eventually I would like to get back to eating with my family.

What have you learned about eating with others? Eventually this will also apply to work luncheons etc,.

Thanks,

Now that I'm off of the mushy foods and can eat more "regular" types of food, I just eat what the family eats, with some adjustments. For example, last night we had cheeseburgers, broccoli and strawberries. When I made the burgers, I weighed out 1.5 oz of hamburger, so my burger was the right size I ate .5 oz of cheese with it and then a few Condiments - that I measured. I didn't have a bun, broccoli or strawberries, but I didn't feel like I was eating a completely different meal either.

So far I've been fortunate that almost everything my family eats for dinner, I've been able to adjust to. If it is something I absolutely can not eat, I'll eat a slice of turkey and a slice of cheese. I'll chop them up into small pieces and put it in a small bowl and eat at the table with everyone else.

When there are pot lucks at work, I'll still contribute something, usually a Cookies or something, but I'll buy it, not make it at home. I'll also leave all of them there, so I don't even have any at home.

If there is something that I really want, not a sweet, but something else, I'll have a tiny amount. Otherwise, I'll just bring a lunch and socialize with everyone.

My husband and I usually split meals when we eat out. He gets two thirds and I get 1 third of the meal. If it is a hamburger or something that normally requires bread, I just take the bread off. At home, I eat the same as everyone else - just on a very small plate. If it is something that I can't tolerate, I just skip it.

It's not so bad eating with others. Like was mentioned above, certain things I stay away from (rice, bread) but otherwise I can usually find something from a meal to eat.

My biggest problem is that I eat so slowly that others get antsy and I usually just say they don't have to sit and wait with me to finish. In terms of food, however, you'll find a balance!

Good luck.

I'm still working on it, but it's been less difficult than I expected, actually. I just don't eat whatever starch we're having with the meal.

So, for example, tonight was roasted chicken, veggies, and couscous. I had one spoonful of couscous, but this is actually my first time to try it at all post-op. Ate my chicken first, then a few bites of veggies, then my spoonful of couscous.

I only had my first fill on Friday, and I feel a little bit more restricted than before, but not much. A lot of the restraint is still on my willpower, not the band.

I have gone out to eat with them too, and that's all about making the right choices. The few times my husband and kids have gone to a buffet, I've opted out, but regular restaurants have been OK.

As soon as your Dr. puts you on solids, it will be MUCH easier. ;)

I have not been able to follow through with the no drinking before meals, but I do not drink during or after for 30-45 minutes. So far so good!

Like Frogstar24 said, the only thing is that I do end up sitting at the table longer than anyone else, at least when I really do take my time and chew thoroughly. That's a challenge that I'm still working on, though. :wub:

Life gets more and more normal the further out from surgery I get. I look forward to hitting my sweet spot with restriction, but it's been manageable most days even without optimum restriction, especially since starting solids.

Hang in there!

Most of the time, I prepare meals from which I can have the Protein and veggie, and sit with them while they eat. I don't mind that they eat things I don't; my stomach space is limited, so I don't have room for those things, anyway.

I'm NEVER at the table longer than they are. They eat fast, but they eat a TON more than the 2-4 ounces I never manage to finish. I'm the first one done, and clean up the kitchen and talk with them while they finish.

That way, when everyone's done, I can head out to exercise, leaving a clean kitchen behind :wub:

On days when I'm tight, or have prepared something for them that just doesn't work for me, I tend to let them have a guy's dinner, and eat at another time.

Those days are numbered, though. My son's weight is creeping up (he wants to nip it in the bud), and my diabetic husband's blood sugar has been out of whack. As much as I've avoided playing mother to him regarding his eating, he really has NOT internalized the way he needs to eat to stay healthy. And since I want him to stay alive, I will be focusing on preparing---for the WHOLE family--foods that fit in just fine with my way of eating.

(I still will have off days--and still say, "Hey guys--I'm going for a walk and will have a Protein shake when I get back." But we all will be eating the same basic way, with minor alteration for the pubescent male who has slightly different needs.)

My husband and I usually split meals when we eat out. He gets two thirds and I get 1 third of the meal. If it is a hamburger or something that normally requires bread, I just take the bread off. At home, I eat the same as everyone else - just on a very small plate. If it is something that I can't tolerate, I just skip it.

How much weight have you lost?

Hey Everyone,

When I was first banded, my husband and daughter did my liquid and mushie phase with me - gotta love them! It was a chance for them to re-set their own cravings and eating patterns and they did pretty well.

Now that I'm eating more 'regular' food, because I'm well past my surgery (my 2nd anniversary is in Nov) I eat pretty much what they do. We eat more vegetables (salads and such) they eat the low-fat Protein that I prepare, and I eat smaller quantities than they do (at least until my unfill, but that's another story).

If you don't tell them it's low-fat, low-sugar and / or high-Fiber, generally they won't be able to tell, and it gives them a chance to try something new without their prior food prejudice getting in the way.

Give them a chance to be supportive, but if they can't do that quite yet, then eat what you know you should and tell them you are doing this for you and that's that!:wub:

So true what EbonyRose said about making the foods healthier without announcing that that's what you're doing.

My mom has done that with a lot of the things she has in the house and my dad hasn't batted an eye. But if she were to point out that things are low-fat or "light" or whatever, he wouldn't touch them. Silly.

I had a distinct advantage already when it comes to our family meals at home in that I didn't have to break them of bad habits or choices. My husband and I went through that back when I was pregnant with my first in 2003. During that pregnancy, I switched us to whole grains, lots of veggies, and lean Protein. I didn't want our kids developing bad tastes and habits early on. So our kids have been growing up with that for all prepared meals at home.

Reducing our tendency to go out to eat, especially at buffets, helps tremendously with the remaining food *quality* issues I have. And it's way better for our budget too!

The band is helping me with my nemesis --- quantity. Because it's totally possible to gain weight on healthy food. heheh

If only I could get my husband on the "band"wagon. He has the same issues with Portion Control and fast eating that I have, and his waistline and yo-yo scale numbers reflect it too.

I think easing your family into healthier meal choices will make it easier on you, and better for them. Maybe not all at once, but just one dish at a time. And don't tell 'em that this is a "diet" meal, just say that you're going on a cooking kick and experimenting or something. A lot of non-healthy recipes can be pretty easily modified to be much more health conscious too, with no one but you the wiser for it! :wub:

So true what EbonyRose said about making the foods healthier without announcing that that's what you're doing.

My mom has done that with a lot of the things she has in the house and my dad hasn't batted an eye. But if she were to point out that things are low-fat or "light" or whatever, he wouldn't touch them. Silly.

I had a distinct advantage already when it comes to our family meals at home in that I didn't have to break them of bad habits or choices. My husband and I went through that back when I was pregnant with my first in 2003. During that pregnancy, I switched us to whole grains, lots of veggies, and lean Protein. I didn't want our kids developing bad tastes and habits early on. So our kids have been growing up with that for all prepared meals at home.

Reducing our tendency to go out to eat, especially at buffets, helps tremendously with the remaining food *quality* issues I have. And it's way better for our budget too!

The band is helping me with my nemesis --- quantity. Because it's totally possible to gain weight on healthy food. heheh

If only I could get my husband on the "band"wagon. He has the same issues with Portion Control and fast eating that I have, and his waistline and yo-yo scale numbers reflect it too.

I think easing your family into healthier meal choices will make it easier on you, and better for them. Maybe not all at once, but just one dish at a time. And don't tell 'em that this is a "diet" meal, just say that you're going on a cooking kick and experimenting or something. A lot of non-healthy recipes can be pretty easily modified to be much more health conscious too, with no one but you the wiser for it! :wub:

curveycat....are you saying that in under two months you have lost 58 pounds? Man, you rock girl!

I had no special diet preop and two weeks postop I was back on regular food. We only eat dinner together but I just cook a normal protein/vegie/carb healthy meal and take my smaller portions. Since I'm now able to eat Protein again, I just avoid the carbs and eat the Protein and vegies.

When we go out to eat, my husband let's me order and I just take 1/3 of his meal (or less if the restaurant is particularly generous)...or the components of his meal that I want.

curveycat....are you saying that in under two months you have lost 58 pounds? Man, you rock girl!

I wish!!

Nope, I started in on things at my first appointment in January. My insurance required a 90-day medically supervised weight loss program, so I decided to try to start eating like I was banded in the months leading up to my (potential at the time) surgery.

A couple of factors were in play along the way there. First, I was not certain at all that I would be approved for surgery, as I had very spotty medical records showing my weight ups and downs.

Second, I was undecided whether or not I wanted to go through with it, even after I was approved.

I did know, however, that I was done gaining weight.

I wasn't going to wait around and see what happened during the 90 day program, and I wasn't going to wait and see if I was approved before trying to start getting some of this weight off.

I'm pretty good at following a restricted diet for the short term. Usually I can do 3-5 months before the hunger gets me and I fall off the wagon. I managed to stick with things from Jan 6 - May 12, when we went on vacation at Disney World. The last 2 weeks of May were a total lost cause.

However, looking at my vacation photos (and other family pics) --- even after losing about 40# --- was enough to solidify my decision to get banded. So, back on track for the pre-op diet the first two weeks of June, and I got my band June 15.

So...... I lost 44# before surgery, and #14 since getting my band in June! :wub:

I hope to hit my halfway point by next weigh-in on Thursday, and I am SO glad that I made so much headway before getting banded. It was really hard, but worth it!