Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, anyone have bmi too high for surgery?

:confused:Hi, let me start by saying its amazing to see people that have been n my situation and actually get to a place where they r happier and healthier. im 24 yrs old. i m 455lbs n 5'4. i basically have no life to speak of rite now. i joined a gym almost a year ago, and i do really good for a month or so, then i quit for 2 or 3 months, and then do it all over again. ive recently started looking into being banded n mexico when i emailed back and told them my bmi, she said i would need to lose a considerable amount of weight, and has since quit replying my emails. :smile: am i really going to have to lose alot of weight before surgery is even an option ? im more depressed then words could ever even express, and now i find out im 2 fat for the weight loss surery, wth??? i need help asap. i get so head strong i do perfectly, exercise, diet, a few weeks, i feel awesome , have energy, then just quit. and when i quit. its for a long time. i am so good at advice for others. but have none for my self. i always think, if i wanted it bad enuff, id do it, so i must not want it that bad? if life was this hard, id change, but i dont? other ppl can do it. i must be 2 lazy. mayb it just isnt going to happen for me? i feel like i have this amazing personality, and wld love to let people see it. wld like to meet new ppl and enjoy life. but its soo barried under sadness jealousy and insecurity i just want my chance 2 be happy too.

Hello, well you sound like you're in a fix...you obviously have some bad eating habits happening there that you could be working on one bit at a time.

If you make drastic changes to your eating and exercise you may feel good for a while but it is seldom sustainable. Anyone making that many changes would go back to their old habits or at least most of them. It is too stressful and takes us out of our comfort zone so it all collapses.

They make Reality TV shows out of how bad the stress is when you go from over-eating couch potato mode onto a super angelic diet and he-man exercise routine. It is just not practical in the real world as you have found out. It also puts your heart and other organs under even more stress.

When was the last time you had a heap of tests done at the docs? Thyroid especially.

You need to look at changing your eating to Low GI. Slowly. If you take one step forward and never go back then it is better than taking 20 steps forward and not being able to stay there :-(

I can give you loads of good, sensible suggestions on how to take the first of your steps to get this under control but only if you want to hear them :-)

It's the old 'even a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step' thing and if you are trying to run before you can walk then you probably aren't moving forward at all.

You are obviously smart and probably know deep down what you should be doing but I thing we get past rational reasoning and action at times like these.

I had undiagnosed medical conditions that kept me fat all my life and when one was resolved then another made it even worse. I am 46 and learnt what works and what doesn't with weight loss. I can tell you that you should never go 'on a diet' but make small permanant positive changes, one at a time, to improve your food intake and give your body better fuel.

I'll shut up for now but if you would like to hear more then you know where to find me....right here.

Good luck and if you look really carefully I am sure you will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

And just because one doc has knocked you back that does not mean they all will. While you are finding out if you can find one that will take you on; you can be making the first of the changes that you will have to make banded or not.

Good luck.

:confused:Hi, let me start by saying its amazing to see people that have been n my situation and actually get to a place where they r happier and healthier. im 24 yrs old. i m 455lbs n 5'4. i basically have no life to speak of rite now. i joined a gym almost a year ago, and i do really good for a month or so, then i quit for 2 or 3 months, and then do it all over again. ive recently started looking into being banded n Mexico when i emailed back and told them my bmi, she said i would need to lose a considerable amount of weight, and has since quit replying my emails. :smile: am i really going to have to lose alot of weight before surgery is even an option ? im more depressed then words could ever even express, and now i find out im 2 fat for the weight loss surery, wth??? i need help asap. i get so head strong i do perfectly, exercise, diet, a few weeks, i feel awesome , have energy, then just quit. and when i quit. its for a long time. i am so good at advice for others. but have none for my self. i always think, if i wanted it bad enuff, id do it, so i must not want it that bad? if life was this hard, id change, but i dont? other ppl can do it. i must be 2 lazy. mayb it just isnt going to happen for me? i feel like i have this amazing personality, and wld love to let people see it. wld like to meet new ppl and enjoy life. but its soo barried under sadness jealousy and insecurity i just want my chance 2 be happy too.

There are surgeons in the USA that would definitely be ready to work with you?

Where do you live? Are you limited to Mexico?

Don't do the band. My BMI is 68 now. It was about 62 when I was banded 2 years ago. I have since changed doctors and am now able to actually get good restriction with the band and am finally losing weight. Hopefully this time it's for good. Anyways, what I wanted to say to you was to consider the gastric bypass. The doc I have now has explained that anyone with a BMI over 45 should not have the band. It's not always possible for the band, even the largest one, to compress your stomach enough even when the band is full for you to get good restriction. It's very difficult with very large stomachs like ours. I am currently at 381 lbs. I was 360 when I was banded 2 years ago. I would not recommend the band for people our size. JMO

if you really want to get the band and not have a more intense weight loss surgery then consider getting the BIB balloon placed in your stomach to help you lose weight so that you can have a BMI that is safe for the band surgery.

The BIB is a great temporary solution to help you lose weight but it doesn't last forever.

thanks for everyones replies....I have never even heard of a bib balloon ? i will have to look into that. I was looking into mexico because it will be a self pay.

I would strongly urge you to find a surgeon in the US. With a very high BMI there may be complications and you will need many folow-up appointments. Even with a BMI of 35-40 many follow-ups are needed. Please check in your area and in towns near you.

I was 441lbs when banded. I have heard of Dr suggesting that larger people do not do well with the band but IMO thats a bunch of crap. The weight definetly comes off faster with bypass but studies have proven that like 3 yrs out banders and bypassers have the same results. Bypassers have a window of opportunity (usually like 18mnths) and then have to be very careful to maintain. Banders lose slower but can be adjusted forever. Slow and steady wins the race!

If you are planning to get banded in Mexico due to self pay, then you had better find a doctor that will see you for fills, follow-ups near where you live BEFORE going and getting banded. FYI. I had a heck of a time changing docs and mine wasn't done in Mexico. However, when I was calling around trying to find a new doc, that was the first question they asked me, "Were you banded in Mexico?" because they don't take patients that were banded in Mexico. FYI

I was 441lbs when banded. I have heard of Dr suggesting that larger people do not do well with the band but IMO thats a bunch of crap. The weight definetly comes off faster with bypass but studies have proven that like 3 yrs out banders and bypassers have the same results. Bypassers have a window of opportunity (usually like 18mnths) and then have to be very careful to maintain. Banders lose slower but can be adjusted forever. Slow and steady wins the race!

I love your attitude and it looks like you are taking off some pounds too!! :)

thanks for everyones replies....I have never even heard of a bib balloon ? i will have to look into that. I was looking into Mexico because it will be a self pay.

BioEnterics Intragastric Balloon, Obesity Treatment, BIB System, Obesity Management Asia

check out this link. I had the BIB balloon between my bands and though I didn't lose weight, I didnt expect to because I am so close to goal. I know of someone else who had the balloon before getting the band surgery ( to help lose some weight) and it worked.

My starting BMI was 52 - was never told it was too high for the lap band. I am 4 and a half months post surgery, and my BMI is down 9 points to 43. I love my band! Good luck to you.

DaChanginQueen, I so agree with you. Slow and steady wins the race. I was 409.81 when I had the surgery. Now I am at 355 !! With the band, it is all about lifestyle change. Unlike with the bypass, I still can have my carbs (from time to time) and don't get sick . :tt2:

Don't know what part of the country you are from, but here in Ohio there is a very good lapband surgeon in Cincinnati area, Dr. Curry, and several people in Columbus went to Cincy due to being self-pay and their total cost was in the $12,000-$15,000 range and then they can get fills done locally at his Columbus office. I'd definitely try to stay in the U.S. given your BMI and the definite long term relationship you will need to have with your lapband surgeon's office. I had 200 lbs to lose when I started and I have lost 140 of it so far and I'm still chipping away at this last 60 lbs but I've changed my life tremendously with what I have lost.

Best wishes.