Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do they make you do sugar free during the pre-op diets ? I am just wondering because some of the stuff on the list does have sugar and some don't. I wanted to drink a Decaf coffee with sugar or should i use splenda ?:)

In our bodies, the liver stores carbohydrate in the form of glycogen. We draw on it when our blood sugar is too low---so it's a great mechanism to maintain homeostasis.

However, too much stored glycogen causes the liver to become engorged/enlarged.

The purpose of the preop diet is to deplete the liver's glycogen stores. This shrinks the liver in size, and makes it easier and safer for the surgeon to manipulate tools during banding.

Carbohydrate, including sugar, is limited during the preop diet to spur the liver to release its glycogen stores. (If you don't eat the carbs/sugar, then glycogen is released by the liver to keep your blood sugar steady.)

If choosing between foods, I'd opt for Splenda over sugar during the preop diet; your doctor can give you more specific guidelines about how many grams of carb to which to limit yourself, if you need them. (Mine just spelled out exactly what I could eat: 2 Protein shakes/day--with <10 g carb each---4 ounces of lean Protein and 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies each day. Plus up to 2 servings each of broth, sugar-free popsicles, and sugar-free Jello. So maybe a total of 35-50 g carb, max.)

Why do they make you do sugar free during the pre-op diets ? I am just wondering because some of the stuff on the list does have sugar and some don't. I wanted to drink a Decaf coffee with sugar or should i use splenda ?:)

Congrats on your decision

The idea of no sugar is to get your liver and your system ready because after surgery you have to have a certain foods that you can and can not eat. I would not suggest splenda or any artificial sweeter because they are still made out of sugar and can cause you to gain weight. (My doctors words not mine)

I myself have some sugar I just make sure that it is not everyday. Pre Op diet I just did all Protein, it was a shock to my system believe me. Post surgery now I eat a little of everything that I can, mind you there are somethings that the band wont let me :puke: (the website livestrong.com can help you see what has sugar, carbs, Protein, etc)

Good luck

Sandee

I am sooooo sorry thank u for explanation but I meant post op I had surgery on July 1st.... sorry again for all that typing

Funny you asked this, I was ready to post the same question.

Can we have sugar post-op? Do we still have to do SF stuff? I understand to not overdo, but wondering if having a regular popsicle vs SF is a problem post-op?

I was told by my dietician that sugar free is for lifetime if I want to lose and keep it off. My surgeon and dietician said anything with splenda or equal was fine.

I just faced the fact that I can NEVER EVER have any Gum, Sugar,Carbonated drinks, or fried foods AGAIN Doctors and Dieticians orders.

Plus I have to limit small amounts of the white stuff (bread,pasta, potatos, and rice)

Edited by Laylas grandma

Post op you can go back to sugar - although you obviously know that a sugary diet is not ideal for weight loss!

Personally, I think that we have to get our heads around the fact that sweet foods are NOT for everyday, therefore just moving to artificial sweeteners is not the answer. You have to learn that everything doesnt have to be sweet, I mean coffee straight and black is fantastic if you've not polluted your taste buds with cream, Syrup, sugar sugar sugar. You can overcome a sweet tooth over time by just gradually learning how to eat less sweet food. Greek yogurt is tart and wonderful, yogurt doesnt have to be flavoured with sugar and flavourings to be palatable. You just have to get used to the taste.

As well, you probably need to cut right back on things like cereals (which are nearly always very high in sugar).

If you do those things your sugar intake will be pretty low and if you DO fancy a piece of cheesecake on a speical occasion, there is no reason in the world not to have it and enjoy it.

if you need large amounts of artificial sweeteners on a daily basis, then you are definitely choosing the wrong foods and drinks. You need to move your diet in a more natural direction.

I was told to cut out all artificial sweeteners for one month after surgery because even though they don't have calories, they drive your hunger for more sugar and deaden your tastebuds to the more delicate tastes of natural foods. In particular, the dietician said that people who drink crystal light, don't lose as much weight. You wouldn't believe the gasps and distress in the room when we were given this news. And, yes, I was amongst those gasping. LOL I mean how was I gonna cut down my sugar AND not eat artificially sweetened things at the same time??? And, I've always been skeptical of this theory that artificial sweeteners drive your hunger for more sugar.

But, guess what... after a month of cutting out the artificial sweeteners, I no longer have a sweet tooth. It really is amazing. So, even though my dietician only asked us to do this for one month, I haven't gone back to artificial sweeteners. If I want something sweet, I have the real thing and take the caloric hit for it. And, its not that big of a deal anymore because I don't crave or need sweets all the time.