Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. is Fill Happy

I just went in for my 2wk post-op checkup and was informed that my first fill will be in 4wks AND I will more than likely get 4-5cc in my 10cc band.

HOLY HUGE FILL, BATMAN!!!!!!:lol:

Does anyone else think that's a little on the aggressive side???? :grouphug:

I'm scared.

Mommy, I have to agree with you, that is a very aggessive fill. My first fill was 2.5/10cc. I even felt that one. Of course I needed more over time but easy does it.

Is there any way you can see if your surgeon is willing to go smaller?

See, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a bit much for a first fill. I guess he's the type that bumps you up and then works backwards from there. Rather than starting slowly. I guess I could ask him to explain at my appt and go from there.

Oops, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Since you're a mod, are you able to move it for me?! Thanks!

My first fill was in between 4 and 5 ccs of a 10 cc band and it was just fine! Of course, my second fill last week was like .5 ccs! I had the first fill done three weeks after my surgery on May 24, 2010. Are you having any restriction since the surgery? I had some restriction and could tell I was healing. But the closer I got to my first fill I felt that restriction lessening to almost none. I knew I was eating less than I usually would and I was nervous at just how much less it would be after the first fill. I had great success losing from the pre-op and the first three weeks of the band! Just remember to eat slow and take small bites of everything! I cut everything into tiny pcs before I even attempt eating!

Oops, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Since you're a mod, are you able to move it for me?! Thanks!

Sure. ;-)

My doctor gave me 1 cc at a time.. I got sooo mad at him I would cry when I would leave thinking he was just making money off of me.. But eventually I did get there and now looking back and having to have had several unfills due to reflux, I guess I can kinda see why taking it slow would be a good thing.

The same thing happened to me, my first fill was 4 cc and everything was fine, then I continued to go every month for a fill and he would give me 1 or .5 cc after that. I am at 9cc with a 10cc band. So dont get scared every doctor works different.

My first fill was 3 weeks ago and it was 4 cc. I had a little be of a rough time the first week and a half, then I got used to it and I have been fine since. You should definitely feel the restriction and its just a matter of getting used to it.

My first fill was 3.5 CC (10cc band), and I had to have a complete unfill 3 days later, because I couldn't even swallow my own saliva and had become dehydrated. I went backseveral weeks later and got a refill of 2.8 cc, which was perfect at the time almost 2 months later, my band suddenly got too tight and they had to take .3cc out.

Moral of my (overly long) story? Everyone is different. Some people can handle big fills and it never affects them, whereas others have to have more "gentle" fills and several unfills.

My Dr is aggressive with fills also. First fills with her are usually up to half of what the band will hold. I have a 14cc band and got almost to half on 1st fill. Her logic is that most people can handle it and why wait months to get to restriction. It is hard to stay motivated for sooo long. According to her stats only like 5% come back for an unfill. Just make sure and stay on liquids for the day and mushies for a day or 2 after so you wont cause any more swelling than the fill itself will cause.

My first was 4.4...they usually try to do 1/2 for the next then 1/2 of that until you get happy :) good luck!

My First fill was 5cc's and I went back after 3 weeks for another fill since I had not restriction... So I guess my doctor is aggressive but I'm fine with that... I don't want the months to pass by and still have no restriction..

Believe it or not sometimes you have a fill in there already. You might want to ask about that. I was shocked to find that my surgeon had put in 2cc during the surgery and I thought I asked all the questions I could. I went up to 3 1/2 for my first fill. Then I did another shorty after. Recapping that was 5.5,then 6.5 and lastly 7.5. I enjoy the fills. The hunger is gone and you eat so little it will shock you. I am going to get a slight unfill this Monday because I am getting reflux at night and that's got to stop however otherwise I'm staying with this.

Here's what to do-Follow the rules. Drink slowly--don't eat for 2 days. Add yogurt and Soup and stuff like that for 2 days. I also don't drink or eat at least 2 hours before going to sleep. I don't drink an hour before and after eating. Go with fish, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. Good luck.

Ditto - everyone is different. My first fill I was given 3 ccs in a 10 cc band and had to have 1 cc removed the next morning because I couldn't even swallow my own saliva. My next fill is Thursday and I'm a little nervous. I can tell that I need more restriction, tho...