Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What my Dr. trying to hide?

Today is 13 days since my surgery and went for my post-op visit. Since I didn't see him after the surgery I asked him what size band I got. He said the large Allergan LapBand. When I asked him what the maximum capacity of it is he kind of hemmed and hawed and said they have never really filled one to capacity before. Huh? He was pleased with my progress, 23 lbs since starting the pre-op diet and 11 lbs since surgery. Incisions are healing nicely. I asked when I'll be able to have a cocktail again and he said on my birthday Oct. 1st. I asked him if it's true you get drunker faster after having LapBand and he said yes, but they don't really know why. He scheduled me Aug. 1st for my first fill. When I got home the insurance company's bariatric dept. called to see how I was doing. I asked them what keeps the Drs. from putting in tiny amts. of fill and having you come back every month so they can bill your insurance $600 for each visit. They told me my fills will be covered for about 6 months until he hits that "sweet spot". I get suspicious as I've had Drs. use every excuse to have you come back in just so they can bill insurance and get the co-pay from you. I was glad to hear the fills will be covered under the surgical portion of the bill and I shouldn't even have to pay my co-pay! She also told me about some "protein shots" you can get at the grocery store to keep my Protein intake up. Any of you heard of them? She said they taste like Koo-Aid. Well now I'm on the full liquid diet and looking forward to staying fuller longer! Can't wait for the fill though!

If you have the larger of the two lapbands, I believe it holds 14cc (vs 10cc in the smaller). I do believe they've probably never filled one to capacity before. It seems the bands are designed to work at about 75% full. For example, I have 7cc in a 10cc band I feel good restriction. Most people I see on here w/a 10cc band, find their sweet spot someplace between 7 and 8. So, just adjust upwards for the 14cc band.

As for being scammed by your doctor into having smaller fills than you should have, I really don't think it happens that often. I think most doctors really want you to get to your sweet spot as quickly AND safely as possible. And, it does take time because with every fill there is some swelling. Once you get too much swelling (to the point you can't swallow), its natural to not want any more fills.

I've never used the Protein Shots, but heard from quite a few bandsters that they are too sweet and they mix them with Water to dilute them some. I may be wrong on this, but I believe the Large Allergan band is 14cc's. And as for the gradual fill of your band, I think that all dr's do that. I'm not sure of the exact reason though, but what I do know is I am happy that my dr does it that way because I know that after each fill I have had it was like learning what to eat all over again. I don't think my body would have tolerated 1 huge fill and I can think of a few people that can only handle like 0.1 or 0.2 cc's at a time. Everybody is different though :grouphug:. Hope at least some of this helps you!

Thanks for the information guys! I was looking around on another site and yeah I think the large band is 14cc. I would hope it'll be 3 or more fills. I understand the stomach swells after each fill and it takes a couple of days for it to settle down. I'll have to see if I can find those Protein Shots but I don't think the Dr. wants me using liquids for Protein unless there is very little calories and carbs in them. But I can check them out for the post-fill days!

Alcohol is absorbed normally in our digestive systems. We do not get drunk faster than before surgery, unless tolerance is decreased due to drinking less frequently for caloric reasons.

Bypass patients do, due to the restructuring of their systems, the alcohol is metabolized quicker.

My 14cc band is perfect with 9cc in it. At least for now.

I get drunk a lot faster now but it is because I've dropped over 1/3 of my body weight and cut it back to every 3 weeks or so instead of every 2 or 3 nights.

Its strange that your doc didnt tell you the max capacity of the band. yes an APL holds 14cc and an APS holds 10cc I have the smaller one and would never need it filled to the max.

As for making you do many small fills, it is because it is safer for your stomach. Rapid fills can cause erosion and trust me erosion isnt fun.

My doc barely charges anything each time I went and will go for fills so it is not only your doc that makes you go often for small fills.

There are more than 2 sizes of lapbands. Mine only holds 4ccs. I am at 2.3 in it right now and may be at restriction - I have not decided yet lol.

I say be glad you have a Dr. who does fills slower so my only gives me .5cc at a time and each one except the 1st one has kicked me the butt. I have a 10cc band and I am a year out tomorrow and only have 4ccs and I am fighting with eating now.

Cheri

Just an addition - yes, LapBands have been filled to capacity. While I'm only 6 months out and have 8cc in my large (14cc) band, I have a friend who had the LB put in a few years ago. He also has a 14cc band. He lost all the excess weight (not all the skin), but DID get filled up to capacity (all 14cc's) to do it. Now? He's put back on quite a bit of his weight and can't get a fill to help him, since he's at capacity. Just goes to show you that you really need to have a mental shift in how your brain treats eating/exercise when you go through this process! Obviously, the lessons didn't quite all sink into his brain...

It sounds to me like they used a band that was too large for your friend. If it is filled all the way and he does not have restriction, the band is too large. I don't think it has anything to do with the brain. He could also have a leak and not even have the 14cc he thinks he has. I hope he is still in touch with his doc. I think I read something that said the tube that goes from the port to the band can hold 2cc.

I just thought it strange he wouldn't tell me the capacity of the band he used on me. Maybe he thought I would get all hung up on the amount of fills or something but after everything I've read on here I think it's safe to say we can go by how it FEELS after fills. I'm just looking forward to the day I get restriction without vomiting!

Im suprised he didnt give you the box so you could have the serial number and such. Someone else mentioned this already but there are more than 2 sizes bc I also have the 4cc band, so if your DR carries the 4cc and 10cc, he may consider the 10cc the large band and that COULD be what you have. I would just call and ask him flat out.

I read someplace that the 4cc bands are not used or discontinued in the US because of faliure rates. Was everyone with the 4cc band who was banded recently banded in Mexico?

I read someplace that the 4cc bands are not used or discontinued in the US because of faliure rates. Was everyone with the 4cc band who was banded recently banded in Mexico?