Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Billing Vent!!! Did this happen to you?

wow this post makes me really nervous. i am self pay and i signed a waiver that stated if a hernia was found i allowed the surgeon to repair it. i have a contract stating what my cost is and what i have paid so far. they bettter not start and mess with me cuz i will fight till the end!!!

Wow. All I have to say, is I'm glad to be Canadian!

Ha ha ha ha! I wish others could see that socialized medicine isn't as bad many Americans believe it to be. While no health care system in the world is perfect, a single-payer system works and allows all citizens to obtain health care. Yes, you pay higher taxes but by sharing the risk pool and sharing the costs, it allows everyone to obtain health care, which should be a right of every citizen, not just those who can afford it.

I'll step down off my soap box now. biggrin.gif

I am self pay too and paid everything up front. I had the hernia repair and they billed my insurance for that and my copay for that is a little over $2000. I understand that even though I don't like it. What I found amazing was they also tried to collect a second time for my banding procedure from my insurance company. They were denied due to my lower BMI, but what if my insurance would have paid for it? I am soooo sure they would have called me up and said oh by the way here is your $9900 back!!!!!

Ha ha ha ha! I wish others could see that socialized medicine isn't as bad many Americans believe it to be. While no health care system in the world is perfect, a single-payer system works and allows all citizens to obtain health care. Yes, you pay higher taxes but by sharing the risk pool and sharing the costs, it allows everyone to obtain health care, which should be a right of every citizen, not just those who can afford it.

I'll step down off my soap box now. biggrin.gif

While socialized medicine looks good in writing, you need to look a little closer. I live on the Canadian border and the doctors offices here have just as many Canadian patients as American. The Canadians come here because the wait time is so long to receive the care they need. One person I met was told "You have cancer. We can see you in 8 months". HELLO!!!!! How much is that cancer going to spread in 8 months?

Unless you have long term first hand experience about the Canadian system don't bash it. If someone has life threatening cancer they are treated immediately.

I'm concerned about this topic as well. My insurance covers WLS at 50% but the office manager at the surgeon's office 'has no idea' what my cost will be. How is this possible? Not even a ballpark figure? I didn't want to get too pushy until my surgery was approved but now I need to have some idea (I do not look forward to making this call !)

Not that all surgery centers are bad....but, when I went to a large surgery center in Ft. Worth for a consult I was told they would bill my insurance 60.000 for Lap-Band and I would have to pay my 20% of that plus testing (so about 20,000). Or....I could self pay for 9,900! What the heck? I got the feeling they were very greedy. I used a hospital and well know surgeon instead and paid about 1,200 after insurance. I am sure not all surgery centers are the same but I got the feeling I was just a dollar sign to them.

Totally inacceptable - I was self pay as well and had a hyneria repair and this did not happen to me

I was banded 5/18 as a self pay and had my procedure done in a surgery center. I paid the surgery center $8,500.00 and my surgeon $6,800 before the surgery as my band wasn't covered because I am low BMI. Today I received from my insurance company an explanation of benefits stating they have been billed for "supplies" at the rate of $9,500.00 from the surgery center. I then called the surgery center to ask what this charge was for? I was told that since I had a hiatal hernia repair (which I didn't even know I had until my post op check up) that they billed my insurance for that and I will be getting a separate bill from my surgeon for his part to repair it. I understand the part about my surgeon being paid to repair it, but how could the surgery center possibly rack up $9,500 in supplies for a 2 stitch repair? I am livid!! They are double dipping. I already paid to be operated on with anesthesia included and they billed my insurance company for a whole other surgery and expect me to pay the $1.532.00 of unpaid ins. deductible plus a $1500, co pay! I told them that this is a scam and double dipping and flat out insurance fraud. I told them I wanted a detailed list of "supplies" and was told that they bill globally for a procedure and don't count up each bandaid used. I am awaiting a call from their administration and flat out refuse to pay them for a whole other surgery! Unfortunately my insurance has already paid them their portion to the tune of $3,900. I intend to fight this all the way and let a judge decide if need be. This is the reason healthcare is so expensive. These kind of people bill and overbill as much as possible and get away with it. I also, plan to talk to my insurance company today to dispute this claim and hopefully they will investigate them. Sorry for the vent, but I cannot believe the greed in this situation.:thumbup: