Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you out

Hello all

I have a question. I am getting banded on 7/28/10. I am very excited but a little stressed at the same time. I work a highly stressful call center in here in GA. I am not able to move around alot and is timed when I am off the phones. Because of this I am worried that I may have to go back to work too soon and inturn with the stress of my job and the newness of my life I will not be successful. I say all this to find out how long if you are working, did you get leave? I would like to take at least 6 weeks. Just to make sure I am really healed. I have AETNA, so that may help in answering my question.

I thanks you so much for your answers. :thumbup:

I was banded on 7/2 and today I feel like can go back to work,. The only thing that has hindered me was the soreness from the port site.

I only hurt for about 3 days and 5 days after surgery went back to work, with the help of some mild painkillers of coarse! It depends on the person! Just like every other aspect of the band!

I took two weeks off before I went back to work. I am a home remodeling contractor and do very physical work, so I really listened to my body and stopped each day when it told me that was enough. After the first week back to work, I was feeling completely normal again. The key is to really listen to what your body is telling you, it will let you know when to rest. Good luck.

I was banded on July 2nd and went back to work on the 6th. I am an attorney and sit at my desk much of the day. However, I have left early on the 6th and 7th because of terrible gas pain in my shoulder. I have a solo practice and so I have pushed going back to work quickly because if I don't work, my client's work doesn't get done and I don't get paid. If I worked at a firm where I could have someone else pick up my work and had vacation pay, I would probably have stayed out longer.

I think six weeks is more than sufficent to take off. I would maybe take three or four weeks off and save the other two weeks to take a vacation later on to treat yourself for the lost weight.

i am getting banded on the 14 and i am getting 4 weeks off of work, because i work at ups and i wont be able to lift the packages...so just tell your surgeon that your job is very physical and he will give you the time off that you need.

Honestly, it was the easiest recovery for me...felt totally normal 4 days out..only took two doses of pain meds. Was back to work in a week, and I work with special needs children so it is not a sedentary job...

when I got banded I went back to work 1.5 days after surgery. I am having a new band put in tomorrow ( Saturday) and will go back to work on Monday. I am a teacher so my job isnt about heavy lifting etc I just have to stand on my feet a lot. It will help with the gas I hope which I remember taking forever to go away.

I had surgery on Monday and was back to work on Wednesday. Probably should have taken 1 more day :) After a week I was back to feeling 100%. I work a desk job - so there isn't a ton of moving. I'm loving my band!!!

wow 6 weeks. I had my surgery June 28 and was back to work July 6 with no problems.

I took 1 full week off. I had fatigue problems but it was not the end of the world. IMO, 2 weeks would be ideal. Right when you should be starting mushies. You will feel better all around! And you should have your head on straight too!

I had surgery on a Friday and went back to work the following Monday. I was a little sore but it was an easy recovery. I'm a Instructional Assistant in a special education setting. So I move around alot.

My suggestion is listen to your body. You'll know when it's time to go back.

I was back at work within about 48 hours of my surgery. I wasn't really feeling "normal" for about 10 days, but I was functional--both work-wise and in terms of doing household things.

There is pain, and there is sort of general discombobulation as you get used to new routines. But the latter can be helped tremendously by starting to act 'as if' now. Start practicing banded behaviors---it makes it SO much easier after the fact :)

Good luck!