Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "dangers" of the WLS craze

There is so much in this article that is just wrong, it drives me nuts. I colored the last line in red. Seriously? If you don't *really* work for it, you won't be proud?

The Dangers of the Weight Loss Surgery Craze

By food. It’s expensive, invasive, dangerous (1 in 350 people die) and irreversible. It’s forced starvation, yet many people gain the weight back because they still don’t know how to eat properly and over time stretch the remaining portion back out. Vomiting is also very common as most people are unable to decipher hunger cues and over fill the stomach.

The Lap Band surgery is the same principle, blocking off part of the stomach, except a rubber band is placed around the stomach. The band often slips, and has to be fixed with more surgery. Your tiny tummy doesn’t allow you to eat more than a few bites of food at a time, which makes getting a well balanced diet nearly impossible, and causes many Vitamin and mineral deficiencies (but who cares if you’re thin, right!?) Because of the shrunken stomach, patients must follow a strict diet to reduce complications and to not damage the stomach after surgery. If you have to follow a strict diet anyway, why not just follow a healthy one to lose weight, and leave surgery out of it?

liposuction is a cosmetic surgery where fat is sucked directly from the body. People often look to Lipo as a miracle cure, but lipo is meant to be a spot treatment, to lipo multiple areas of the body can be very traumatic and a horribly painful recovery. Fat and blood clots can occur and travel to the lungs causing death. Nerves and skin can be damaged causing intense pain and a puckered, bruised, wrinkly appearance.

And you thought making it into the gym was painful.

Approximately 1/3 of people who have weight loss surgery need a followup surgery to fix complications.

You need to learn how to eat healthily to make a lifelong change. Something got you over weight in the first place, and until you start taking care of yourself the right way, and not the easy way, that weight will come right back on- even after a major surgery.

Besides, if you didn’t work for it, will you ever really be proud of it?

Oh, and in case you want to discuss your "easy way out" with the author who as never suffered from a weight problem, here's her e-mail address: kellycturner@hotmail.com

Misinformed ignorant people make me laugh. :thumbup:

Kelly Turner

Kelly Turner is an ACE Certified personal trainer and health and fitness writer from Seattle, WA. When she’s not training clients or glued to the computer, Kelly enjoys working out, cooking, and writing. If you would like to contact Kelly, please email her at kellycturner@hotmail.com.

Follow me online

Blog: Every Gym’s Nightmare

WOW! a Personal Trainer writing about the woes of weight loss surgery. No agenda there! Especially from someone with a past eating disorder. She obviously did NOT do her research and why would she as she is not a REAL journalist! I find it funny that many people who write a blog consider themselves journalist just as many who like to exercise can take a few "at home courses" consider themselves personal trainers! I suppose she is also a 5 star chef! Ignorance is bliss and unfortunate. I am going to go eat my half serving of fat free plain yogurt and work out now!

FYI-- Visiting her blog will increase her "hits" and give her better stats to sell advertising with. Most people who write controversial things such as this are just trying to generate traffic so they can sell advertising space. Please do not help her by increasing traffic to her site.

Yeah, I didn't go to her blog. I'm just surprised that the website she wrote this to didn't have more people comment about the flat out lies she wrote.