Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded, few questions

I was just banded June 28th and I have a few questions. The first few days were super painful around my port area, but as the days go by it is definitely getting better. I would say the gas is the most painful part of this, sometimes it feels like I can't breath or that I have some broken ribs on my left side.

My questions are:

I feel a lump right next to my port incision but since I have a large belly, I figured if it was under the muscle I wouldn't feel anything. Is the port typically under the skin, or muscle?

Since I have a large belly, when I get up and walk I need to hold my port area in because it feels like my guts are going to fall out and it hurts to walk without holding it. Has anyone else had to do this?

I hate sleeping on my back although it is less painful, but sleeping on my side is actually getting better. When I move to roll myself over from side to side, sometimes I feel something around my port area pop, anyone else ever feel a popping sensation? Also, it is not painful, just feels weird.

Occasionally I'll have a feeling like I need to burp but nothing happens, is that normal?

Last question, I'm taking Omega-3 and Fiber gummy's. Does anyone have a problem with taking these or at least in Gummy form?

Thanks!

Glad you asked some of these questions - I had some of the same.

I was banded a day after you - 6/29. I planned to stay home for the day of and the day after and then work from home on Thurs & Fri. Well, Thursday rolled around and nope - wasn't feeling like working at all and I'm not today either, but kind of have to today.

I hope this helps a little. A gal I know who got banded in November let me feel her port area a few weeks ago. Yes, you can feel it. No, you can't see it. If you know where to press, you can definitely feel the outline of the port.

I am with you on the pain on the left side. I have a big tummy too and you described it perfectly - if I don't hold on, it feels like they're gonna rip away from my body. Dang it hurts. If I am lying in bed medicated and not moving, it's not too bad, but if I try to roll, sit up, move, go to the bathroom, etc., my left side hurts like crazy. the 3 incisions on my right side are fine - very little pain, but my gosh, I didn't expect it to be as painful on the left.

Never had the popping sound. Sorry I can't help on that one.

Burping - I am wondering about that too. I'm not overeating, I'm still on liquids and it's mostly Crystal Light and Water at that. I seem to be dysfunctional and must take in air on every sip. l am hoping that burping nonsense goes away eventually.

Good luck!

April

I was banded on the 28th and I have similar feelings. The incision around the port is clearly the one where the most discomfort is at. The gas pain was really REALLY bad the first couple of days but by day there, I'm almost back to normal. I'm still weak and get tired easily. Today is the first day that I'm feeling like I want more than the liquids that I'm supposed to be on for the first week. I expect that I'm going to be very ready for soft/mushy foods by the time next monday rolls around.

I had my surgery on March 24th. I remember the first day wasn't so bad, but it hurt a great deal on the 2nd and 3rd, however by the 5th-6th.. .I was much better.

I can "feel" the port when I touch it, but you don't go around "feeling" it all day long just because it's there.

You have to remember, the surgery has truly done a big deal to your insides, a lot of it is just swelling around the band, the port. You've disrupted muscles and tissue and it's rebelling.

It DOES get better.

As for the burping, I've not had as much problem as others. Some say they have it all the time. I get it only if I over eat. This might also be a result of the swelling you're experiencing.

I was fine the first week with liquids only. The second week wasn't too bad. The third week, I was crazy hungry and it was supposed to be pureed food only. I have to admit, I snuck in a bit of string cheese there.

I was banded in March, and what really helped me with the port incision pain was an abdominal band. Like a giant ace bandage for your stomach. I lived in it for about a week, then gradually didn't need it so much any more. Really helps with things like rolling over in bed and getting up and down.

Good luck, Sharon

I was also banded on the 28th... the pain is slowly subsiding and oddly enough i dont feel my port. However i find it that today (my 4th day) im getting hungry. The only salty food on the menu is chicken broth which i cannot bare to drink anymore. Do you guys have suggestions?

Thanks for all your responses.

I've noticed that I really haven't eaten anything the last few days since my surgery. I was really nauseated the first and second day and since then I try and force myself to drink a Protein shake but then I just don't realize that I haven't eaten all day and it's already time to go to bed.

I don't know if I'm just hating the fact that I'm sick of Protein shakes and chicken broth, or if I'm actually not really all that hungry. I am going to try and force myself to eat some more Protein at least. Has anyone else just didn't feel like eating after the surgery?

Thanks again.