Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is my Nutritionst keeping me fat

Is my nutritionist keeping me fat?

scale is the same. Since banding shirt size from 2x to xl-large, Waist 44-46 now 38)

In addition to trainer have working with a nutritionst who has been increasing my calories. She wants me to eat at least 1800 a day. Granted I am eating more and weight is stable but I really want to loose at least another 30 lbs or so.

I keep a food journal etc. Since last week the scale has started to move, I droped my calories to around 1300, very well balance, also cut down on artifical sweetners, and also protien drinks etc. She looked over my food journal today and said I really need to eat at leat 1700 to 1800 and be very consistant. She said to eat.

200 grams Protien etc. and put the protien drinks back in. So really not sure what to do. Made an appoitment with a the Nutritionist I went to as part of the LAP-BAND®. Last time I had a fill they said to decrease the carbs, i am now eating about 150 grams a day. But I really fell bad when I cut them too low espically when I work out. On Monday I had some meetings so did not eat before my work out and really felt bad.

Today food, which I increased per her advice was as follows,

Breakfast, Egg on Pepperidge farm deli flat.

Snack: Mellon

Lunch: Eggbeaters, Deli Flat, swiss cheese

Snack: Protien bar and shake

Dinner: chicken / Bison , salad

Snack: Protien Shake, 1tbs peanutbutter

Total: 1735 Calories, 149 Protien, 48 Fat, 173 Carb, 34 Fiber.< /p>

Would love to have any help.

Thanks

Have you ever calculated your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR)? Here is a link to do so. You plug in your height, weight and age, and it tells you how many calories you need to take in to maintain your current weight.

Then, you need to calculate your caloric needs based off your activity level: Harris Benedict Equation

Harris Benedict FormulaTo determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

So, this just deals with your caloric needs.

As far as the Protein, that seems to be high to me, but I am not a nutritionist or dietician. It probably would be a good idea to go back to the nutritionist that your surgeon works with and see what s/he says about your nutritional needs.

Good luck!

Thanks, Actually had this done at the gym, with calculations for the work out zones etc. I will have to look back on the papers but I believe my base Metabolism was 2400 calories. My resting heart beat is low like 46 BPM. I too was a bit surprised yesterday when she said to eat like 200 grams of Protein. I have an app with the Nutritionist that I saw before and after surgery so I can get a sanity check. I think I will just try to keep around the 1400 mark and see what happens. The Math does not work out as by all means I should still be dropping some pounds. I have become fit and fat which I know is better than fat and not fit. Again I am pleased and my size keeps going down. But would really like to get some of this fat off. Thanks

Just remember that you should recalculate your BMR about every 10 pounds or so, as your caloric needs will change as your weight decreases (or even increases).

Good luck with it. Let us know what the other nutrionist says.

Get a Bodybugg and it calculate your BMR for you and be more precise. It will also tell you how many calories you are burning at any time during the day.

Downside is that it cost about $250.

1,800 calories is what my nutritionists had me on in the past and prior to getting banded.

I have been doing 1,100 - 1,500 since getting banded and it is working for me.

My current nutritionist asked me how many calories I am eating instead of telling me a certain number. He is happy with my current intake and so am I. But I am not working out a lot.

I wonder about the lack of fruits and veggies. I see melon and salad but that doesn't seem much. Plus you have 2 shakes, a bar, and 2 deli flats which I am estimating at around 600 calories of processed food, or around 1/3 of your overall intake. I personally do better when I have less than 10% processed food and eat more whole foods.

Just another thought-- if your sizes are going down then the fat IS coming off.... if you're getting smaller without losing pounds it's because the fat is coming off, and muscle is coming on. This is a GOOD thing, and will cause your metabolism to rise. At some point, the plateau will break, and you'll start to drop weight as well.

But I don't see a problem with changing up your caloric intake some. And I agree that less processed is better. Lots of fruits and veggies, legumes and lean Protein. Stuff with a single ingredient.

I am in a similar hell as you. I have actually gained about 15 pounds over the past 5 months, but my clothes still fit the same.

Now I am on what I consider an heavy workout schedule, and I am have seen significant improvement in the weight I am lifting (30% + improvement) and my cardio abilities, but I still get frustrated when I get on the scale.

I can hear "muscle is heavier than fat" argument a 1000 times, and my screwed up head still believes the pounds are all fat.

Now I don't believe I have put on 15 pounds of fat, so I know some of it is muscle, but the exact ratio is unknown. mad.gif

Anyway I guess my reply doesn't have anything to do with the original nutrition question, I just wanted to let you know I share your frustration.

I am in a similar hell as you. I have actually gained about 15 pounds over the past 5 months, but my clothes still fit the same.

Now I am on what I consider an heavy workout schedule, and I am have seen significant improvement in the weight I am lifting (30% + improvement) and my cardio abilities, but I still get frustrated when I get on the scale.

I can hear "muscle is heavier than fat" argument a 1000 times, and my screwed up head still believes the pounds are all fat.

Now I don't believe I have put on 15 pounds of fat, so I know some of it is muscle, but the exact ratio is unknown. mad.gif

Anyway I guess my reply doesn't have anything to do with the original nutrition question, I just wanted to let you know I share your frustration.

B-Man- have you considered body fat testing? Most gyms offer it for a pretty low price. There are a couple of different options and they each have pluses and minuses in terms of accuracy (just have the same person do it each time.) This way you won't be in the dark. If you are lifting consistently, and your lifts have improved that much, (and as a man) you may have gained a significant amount of muscle. Get it checked every few months or so... that way you'll have a different way to guage your progress besides the scale, and you won't be so frustrated.

Knowledge is power! :thumbup:

Thanks, Actually had this done at the gym, with calculations for the work out zones etc. I will have to look back on the papers but I believe my base Metabolism was 2400 calories. My resting heart beat is low like 46 BPM. I too was a bit surprised yesterday when she said to eat like 200 grams of Protein. I have an app with the Nutritionist that I saw before and after surgery so I can get a sanity check. I think I will just try to keep around the 1400 mark and see what happens. The Math does not work out as by all means I should still be dropping some pounds. I have become fit and fat which I know is better than fat and not fit. Again I am pleased and my size keeps going down. But would really like to get some of this fat off. Thanks

I am happy for you!

Are you sure your banded? If It takes me over a year to lose 50 lbs.. ID BE PISSED! Especially if I was eating good and working out! Do you not have restriction? Did something go wrong? Eating good and working out 3-4 times a day alone would cause you to lose 50 lbs over a year... thats crazy

Im happy that your happy, and you should be proud you came a long way. Just seems weird.

Anyone else think this?

No, not at all. I lost about 70lb first year, 20 the following six months and then it took me a YEAR for that final 10lb to drop off.

Do you think I care at all now, two and a half years after hitting goal weight - and a LOW goal weight at that, with a BMI of under 22 - how long it took to lose?

I exercised (and still do) like a fiend, I ran miles, I do bootcamp and boxing. However, I dont really eat similarly to a lot of bandsters here, we have different dietary approaches here in Australia but also, my primary focus was and still is, learning to eat normally. I refuse point blank to count calories, fat or Protein, I eat healthily but basically waht I want, my main "rule" is that I have cut sugar and white carbs waaaay down. The outcome of this was that I lost my food obsession, I dont spend my days thinking about food, journaling and planning, I trust my body to want what it needs, which for the most part it does. This was every bit as much my goal as actually losing weight - I wanted to leave behind the dieting insanity forever and I will never ever diet again.

I also began this with a BMI of 35 which no doubt meant slower weight loss - although I lost the first bit of weight extremely quickly - pounds and pounds fell off over surgery.

I think there's a lot more to this than simply droppign weight fast. Actually recovering from obesity to as much a degree as you can manage was a lot more important to me than just covering up the symptoms - the headwork part was vital too.

I think there's a lot more to this than simply dropping weight fast. Actually recovering from obesity to as much a degree as you can manage was a lot more important to me than just covering up the symptoms - the headwork part was vital too.

WOW, that might be the most important statement that I have read lately and really gives me something to think about. Thanks.