Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did a half marathon this weekend

I just wanted to share, because I am so proud of myself. I would have never been able to do something like this before I was banded, and it was a huge milestone for me. Words can't express how amazing it felt to cross that finish line. It actually brought tears to my eyes. Even before I became obese, I wouldn't have had the guts to do a half marathon. My band really has changed my life. :ohmy:

Anyone out there have a proud moment lately that you want to share?

Not yet but I wanted to say Congrats on yours! Way to go!

well you should definitely be proud of yourself!!! that has been a great accomplishment and you have worked really hard for it....keep it up!!:ohmy:

Congrats. I am beginning training to due a half marathon in Sept. I am a little worried I will give up though because that what I am use to doing. Hoe did you plug through when you wanted to give up? Again congratulations.

Congratulations! I dont know what it is about running, but there's NOTHING like the feeling of conquering a big distance like that. No other athletic accomplisment feels quite the same. I know that teary feeling as you cross the finish line, by the time I did my one and only half marathon I'd lost my weight and kept it off for a while, so it wasnt then, it was actually crossing the finish line when I did my first 7.5kms. I was blubbering like a baby.

I did my half the year I turned 40 and it took my 40 year old hips and knees about 3 months to recover, lol, so I'm happy to say I've done it but 10kms is my distance!

Good on you, you should be very proud.

Thank you everyone!

Shanny-I won't lie to you, there was a lot of pain and exhaustion. I hit a serious wall around mile 9 and really contemplated giving up. But I knew I would be so mad at myself for quitting with just 4 miles left to go. Plus, how was I suppose to go back home and tell everyone I couldn't finish? My advice to you is to really, really, really pace yourself from the get go. 13.1 miles is a very long distance to travel, and if you feel yourself getting too tired take it easy. Walk if you have to. Stop and get Water and electrolytes at every station. You have to do what's best for you and even if there are people flying past you, just do what you need to do to get to that finish line.

What a great accomplishment-- congratulations!! Which half mary did you do?

What a great accomplishment-- congratulations!! Which half mary did you do?

I did the Pacific Crest Half Marathon in Sunriver, OR.

That's so awesome! Congrats! I hope to be able to do that one day :) I'm starting to like the feel of running but my stamina is zilch at the moment. I guess I should try the C25k. :thumbup:

That is awesome. I am training for a 5K with couch to 5K so am nowhere near you but can only aspire. Great job!