Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded June 28, 2010... I am 66. It's never too late! In fact, we will probably live longer and happier lives because of it.

My company had an exclusion for 2009 but cahnges in 2010. Many companies are looking at it. I have a friend who workks in city HR and they are considering it for their employees next year. Get with your company and push. It is getting very popular.

Don't give up. There are places you can go for much less money and you can get financing. I am spending much less on food, going out to eat, fast foods, and meds now. I am however, buying a lot of new clothes, but the smaller sizes are cheaper - it is so much fun!!!!

Don't give up your dream!!!

Loving all your responses, thanks so much.

Changing insurance isn't an option. We actually own the business and provide insurance for our employees. They pay some, we pay the bulk of it. We just changed insurance companies, but WLS wasn't even mentioned. They sell insurance packages. We could probably add this option, but out of 24 employees, I'm the only one that would need the surgery. I don't feel we could do that to our employees -- make them all pay extra for me to get the band.

So, self pay will be the way to go. I haven't started the search yet, there is one doctor in the area that has a good reputation, and then there's Hershey Med Center. I will be contacting them to get some info, including pricing.

I would be a little concerned that if something goes wrong, I would have to pay for whatever needs done, beyond the banding charge. I'm assuming this is a rarity, but it can happen, right?

The idea of spending money on clothing is seriously a thrilling idea. I've already told my husband if I lost weight and could actually go buy clothing that looks good on me, BE PREPARED for big credit card bills. I think he'd be happy to do that, because I complain so much now when I go shopping and can't find anything.

Still having second thoughts at times. I wake up in the middle of the night and think "is this really right for my lifestyle?" Then I get dressed and feel awful. Oh, what to do!!

My mom got her band when she was 62. I followed in her footsteps two years later. It has been great for both of us. My mom had a lot of obesity related health issues and so did I. The lapband has reversed all of those conditions for us (diabetes, high bp, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc.). You are definitely not 'too old' for it. It will help you live a much longer life and have a much better quality of life.

It will help you live a much longer life and have a much better quality of life.

My dad had several strokes, then died of a heart attack. This has been one of the reasons in my "go for it" column.

Just keep researching and asking questions until you feel you have enough to make a good decisions on. It is a big decision and not one to make lightly.

Good luck to you!

OMG. You are not to old. It's all about what you want and this point in your life and what you are willing to do.

My lap band mentor, Sandi is in her early 60's. She was banded 6 years ago, and has been maintaining a 250lb weight loss! She swims everyday at 6:30 am, runs a successful business, scuba dives, bikes, and well her grandkids have a hard time keeping up with her. You can learn more about her experience by visiting her blog at Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story. Let me know if this helps.

I don't think your age has anything to do with the criteria for surgery. I think it has to do with your physical condition. I"m 66, and healthy and active. They checked me with a find tooth comb but I passed.

Loving all your responses, thanks so much.

Changing insurance isn't an option. We actually own the business and provide insurance for our employees. They pay some, we pay the bulk of it. We just changed insurance companies, but WLS wasn't even mentioned. They sell insurance packages. We could probably add this option, but out of 24 employees, I'm the only one that would need the surgery. I don't feel we could do that to our employees -- make them all pay extra for me to get the band.

So, self pay will be the way to go. I haven't started the search yet, there is one doctor in the area that has a good reputation, and then there's Hershey Med Center. I will be contacting them to get some info, including pricing.

I would be a little concerned that if something goes wrong, I would have to pay for whatever needs done, beyond the banding charge. I'm assuming this is a rarity, but it can happen, right?

The idea of spending money on clothing is seriously a thrilling idea. I've already told my husband if I lost weight and could actually go buy clothing that looks good on me, BE PREPARED for big credit card bills. I think he'd be happy to do that, because I complain so much now when I go shopping and can't find anything.

Still having second thoughts at times. I wake up in the middle of the night and think "is this really right for my lifestyle?" Then I get dressed and feel awful. Oh, what to do!!

Are you close to Hershey? I lived there for three years and grew up not too far away. Howdy, neighbor!

Hi Aredlie, I grew up close to Hershey, I could ride my bike there. Now living about 45 minutes away. I guess I could still ride a bike there (if I had one and could ride it and didn't have a mountain to go over)!

Linda, I just got approved for surgery and I'm 58. My stomach looks like a road map from previous surgeys. I also have high blood pressure. I have no surgey date yet. I am so excited at the thought of getting healthier. Good luck !Judy

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website and just in the investigation stage -- Thank you for your positive thoughts and advice. I am 60 years old and have battled with my weight all my life.

I have contacted my insurance (and they do cover lap band surgery) and have contacted the local bariatric surgical clinic (which has mandatory meetings with other surgery patients, psycologist, nutritionist, etc.).

I looked into this surgery about 2 years ago but "chickened" out and said I could lose weight by myself -- NOT!!

I recently became a grandma and have a reason to make myself healthier. I am now ready to make the commitment and take care of myself

Linda, I just got approved for surgery and I'm 58. My stomach looks like a road map from previous surgeys. I also have high blood pressure. I have no surgey date yet. I am so excited at the thought of getting healthier. Good luck !Judy

Nooooo I was 66 when I had mine done. Never too old. I also take blood pressure medication.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website and just in the investigation stage -- Thank you for your positive thoughts and advice. I am 60 years old and have battled with my weight all my life.

I have contacted my insurance (and they do cover lap band surgery) and have contacted the local bariatric surgical clinic (which has mandatory meetings with other surgery patients, psycologist, nutritionist, etc.).

I looked into this surgery about 2 years ago but "chickened" out and said I could lose weight by myself -- NOT!!

I recently became a grandma and have a reason to make myself healthier. I am now ready to make the commitment and take care of myself

Talk to people who have had it done. I was 66 when I had mine done. Everyone is different. I only lost 40 lbs and can't seem to get anymore off. Is it age? Maybe, or the fact that my parents were both big people. I'm not one bit sorry I had it done though because I couldn't even lose 10 before, and I'm keeping it off. I talked to a lot of people before making the decision and this forum is a good place to start.

Thank you all for the great information.

Just called my insurance company to find out that there's a "bariatric exclusion" on my policy! Guess that rules out insurance paying for it.

Now, on to checking into self-pay.

Try another insurance, if possible, or ask the docs if they take payments or credit cards. Just a thought....