Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long post-op (& how much weight loss) before you could 'see' changes in yourself?

Whillow has a great line in her signature here that reads "My "Oh yeah" moment when I *saw* the changes 2/12/2010". When was yours? Those close to me say they can see a difference now that I'm down almost 50 pounds, but I still don't see it. Wondering how it is for others who are further along post-banding.

I feel like I've been seeing the changes all along, even in the first month post-op. But, I also am doing a weightloss scrapbook. I do a page for every month w/pics and the printouts from my doctor's scale. Sometimes I write NSVs in there too and printout entries from my blog. I know it probably seems a little self-centered, but its fun to go through and remind myself how far I have come.

It was around 50-60 lbs lost for me to see any changes.

I've heard others refer to the 'magical' 60 pound milestone. Love adagray's response too that she's been aware of the cosmetic changes all along. That's something that I aspire to as being in touch with my body and body image was never something that came naturally to me, even when I was thin.

It was around 50-60 lbs lost for me to see any changes.

Up until about two weeks ago (50-60 lbs. lost) I still felt fat. Now I'm beginning to fit into regular size clothes, can cross my legs and just feel and look thinner. I still have a ways to go but I can definitely tell the difference.

It's funny, I don't notice when I look in the mirror but I do when I look at pictures and see the ongoing transformation. It's such a head game what we see in ourselves.

Best,

Lauren

Whillow has a great line in her signature here that reads "My "Oh yeah" moment when I *saw* the changes 2/12/2010". When was yours? Those close to me say they can see a difference now that I'm down almost 50 pounds, but I still don't see it. Wondering how it is for others who are further along post-banding.

Are you taking pictures of yourself occasionally? I found that the only way that I could see changes were to put my pictures next to each other. I couldn't really see the changes in myself. Now that I am down 100lbs I can of course see them but I honestly didn't start seeing the changes until I was about 70-80lbs down.

Like Lauren, I can't see it when I look in the mirror, but I can totally see it in photos.

When I lose (I've been up and down the 100+ loss path before), I have definite points along the way where it seems to jump out at me.

225-ish, 200-ish, 170-ish -- all are places where I can typically see a real difference.

The range between about 230 and 280 all seems about the same to my perception, though I can very much see a difference in photos between the two ends of that range, especially in my face.

Funny you should mention pictures. I had pics taken the day of my surgery and just had more taken yesterday - 2 1/2 months post-op. Still hard for me to see much of a difference, but my face does look a little thinner now.

Are you taking pictures of yourself occasionally?

Funny you should mention pictures. I had pics taken the day of my surgery and just had more taken yesterday - 2 1/2 months post-op. Still hard for me to see much of a difference, but my face does look a little thinner now.

You will notice more changes soon. That's where I noticed the biggest change was in the face. You are doing wonderful though. Remember any weightloss is better then what we were doing before. Keep up the great work.:scared2:

Thank you, that means a lot coming from somebody who just passed the 100 pounds lost milestone. Kudos to you!

You are doing wonderful though. Remember any weightloss is better then what we were doing before. Keep up the great work.:scared2:

Its kind of surreal, I saw them but I didnt. the same way as I knew I was fat but I didnt "see" it when I looked in the mirror. That awful moment when you suddenly see a picture of yourself without your blinders on!

I'd have to say though that the most gratifying and exciting part of the journey was the last 30lb, that's when the changes became really obvious to me. Every couple of pounds made a difference in my appearance and dress size.

Its why I'm just baffled when people set goals for themselves 20 lb above a healthy BMI, saying they look "better" at a higher weight. Logically I appreciate that's true for different body types but I cant help thinking that people are scared to see the real change so they stop before it happens. that last 30lb is the difference between remaining a fat (but not SO fat person) and really leaving the old you behind and I'm sure for some people, its fear of that that makes them set those higher goals.

Enough pop psychology, I'm making enormous assumptions about people based on what I believe which is not really right. But yeah, that last 30lb was what was most exiting for me, and it took that first 70lb to be gone before I could see the new me emerge.

Before that, I saw my body get smaller but it was still the same shape if you know what I mean. It was still a "fat" body just a smaller fat body. The last 30, all the flab dropped away, the bone structure and muscles emerged, I started to look entirely different.

Edited by Jachut

I don't know whether you're right or not, Jacqui, but it does make a kind of sense.

This is the first time I've said that I WANT to get all the way into my ideal weight range. Every other time, I've stopped within 20-30 pounds of the top end of it, and then started gaining again.

This time, nope. I don't care if my family and in-laws say I look too skinny at 140-150#, which I know is what's going to happen. But I want to be slim, and fit, and NOT overweight at all for once in my adult life, and I want to stay there.

That's not to say I don't have some fears about getting there. I am not going to enjoy the negative comments from my family and in-laws. I don't actually like the heavy come-on attention I start getting from guys once I get below 200#. I'm nervous about the loose skin and saggy boobs. I worry about future potential complications with my band and whether or not I'll have foods that I can't eat forever.

But I've definitely made a mental shift to get here that hadn't occurred with any other time that I've lost weight. It feels very strange to be *this* determined about doing this, but it's a good feeling that's carried me through all of 2010 so far and hasn't let up yet! :ohmy:

Up until about two weeks ago (50-60 lbs. lost) I still felt fat. Now I'm beginning to fit into regular size clothes, can cross my legs and just feel and look thinner. I still have a ways to go but I can definitely tell the difference.

Hey girl,

Long time no talk. I was wondering how you were doing eating wise. I remember once reading where you said eating a chore and not enjoyable anymore. I have had six fills and I think I'm at 8ccs. Since surgery in December I have only lost 35 pounds but I only had about 60 to lose so maybe that's normal. My question is: I cannot eat anything hardly. I mean there is NO way I could go out to eat with friends or family unless they knew my situation. I can't eat anything. AT my last fill I lost about 10 lbs in two weeks. Since then I've lost nothing. I think my body is holding on to my weight because it's starving. I try to eat bacon in the morning. It comes back up. I usually eat cottage cheese every day for lunch and dinner well it's just a few bites here and there of whatever I can get down. Are you THAT miserable too or am I too tight. I literally avoid going to any type of restaurant with anyone and even my 7 year old who does not know says... Mommy what is wrong... EAT! I think I may need a little out!

60 was magical for me. I saw changes before then--my measurements and size have steadily decreased from Day 1. But at 60, there was just a tremendous shift, both in the way I looked and the way I saw myself.