Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Need Some Support...and Affirmation

Last week I went to get my surgery date set. My surgeon's P.A. is the one I spoke to. She did EVERYTHING she could to try and get me to switch form the band to a G.B. I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, or other co-morbidities. I have a BMI of 42. BTW, my surgeon is Blue Cross Bariatric Surgeon of Distinction

She went on and on about what a hassle the band was and what would happen if I was on vacation and it got too tight or too lose. She said no one would touch it. She said we had better never move cause other surgeons won't do fills on patients that are not theirs. She mad it sound like I would never be able to travel again and that the band would become nothing but a hassle and a curse to me!

Then she launched into the problems. She said 80% of all Lap Bands have problems. They get so tight they can't swallow their own spit, band erosion, reflux, esophagus dilation, having to get fills or unfills every few weeks, not losing any weight. Yet when i asked how many bands they had have to remove she said only one since they began doing them.

Finally, she wrapped it up with the fact that, if I was lucky, I might lose 40 pounds of the 100 i need to lose.:smile: She said the only way for the band to work was to follow the diet without one goof-up and to exercise like a Trojan Warrior!!!!

Why, why, why??? Please tell me it ain't so!!!!!

Too bad she didn't give equal time to all the possible horrors GB patient's face with their insides chopped up and rerouted......permanently. GB causes absorption issues while the band has restriction issues. All of the things the PA said can happen, no doubt about it. Without my band I would be back to 236 pounds and I have no regrets for choosing the band.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Ask the PA if they have a support group meeting associated with their practice. If it's like my practice, the support group is filled with bypass patients, the band patients don't come. Why? Because they're happy. Even though everything she said can happen with the band, it usually doesn't. With the bypass, you are guaranteed weight loss with the physical cost of malabsorption for the rest of your life.

If you look at my ticker, you can see I've been very successful. I don't "diet". I eat sensibly, but I eat my fair share of garbage. I work out about 3-4 time a week for 45 minutes. That's it. I don't live at the gym. I don't count calories, carbs or Protein.

Good luck with your decision. Obviously, I'm biased about the band. Just do your research and make up your own mind.

Cindy

I hear what your saying! I am due to have my surgery in July and I am into day 3 of my liquid diet and am really struggling. I hope we are making the right choice!!

She is right in some regards, if you just get the band you will be lucky to "lose 40 pounds of the 100 you need to lose" however, if you get the band, follow up with fills, eat the correct portions of quality foods and exercise 3 hours a week you can do much better. Its all up to you.

FYI: I am doing well and I eat frozen custard every Sunday and I work out 3 times a week for an hour or so, not anything "Trojan warrior" style.

OH! Thanks so much to you all! I am very serious about what I am about to take my family and myself through. I know I am going to have to commit and work and I am OK with that. I just want to know that I will succeed if I do my fair part. I do feel very strongly that this is the absolute best choice for me but after my "talk" by the PA. I was feeling rocked.

Looking at your tickers, you are outstanding examples of success:thumbup: with the LB. I hope to soon be one too. Thanks for propping:smile2: me up!

You will do great. Your expectations are aligned with reality, and you are committed to success.

I would have that PA's butt on a stick if they ever talked to me like that! Geese o peat... Prolly why their a PA and not an MD... sorry that just irritates the blazes out of me!

I bet they have an ulterior motive in trying to get you to switch to GB.. and I bet it has to do with the amount of $$$ or a power trip!

I'm sorry that you had to go through that! Stick to your guns, your on the right path and don't let any moronic PA's have any say in it!

BTW I was banded on 4/8/10.. and I am down 35 pounds AND I haven't started exercising really yet... so... anyway for what it's worth!

Hugs