Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my band almost 3mons ago and I haven't lost any weight. I jump from back and forth 230 to 225. I'm going for my 2nd fill on Monday. I'm feeling really down and I'm starting to think that this may not work for me and what a waste of money if it doesn't. I know the band works differently for everyone but I would like to know from all of you how many fills did you need to start feeling restricted? I'm asking because I haven't lost anything is this normal? Please let me know what you think.

It took me four fills to feel any restriction, and I'm not at my sweet spot yet. I go again next week. That being said, I have slowly lost weight since surgery, the old fashioned way through diet and exercise.

What are your eating habbits for the past few months?

It is totally normal. Many people don't start loosing weight until they get restriction. For me it was 3 fills. Hang in there, it will get better!

I felt the same way-I was banded on Feb 4th and the weight loss was SO slow...until my last (4th) fill-Now I feel restriction and I've lost just about 30 pounds. I think everyone should know that weight loss will be slow until you get restriction (and that could take MONTHS)-and even then, it's typically a pound a week...I was being really hard on myself thinking I was doing something wrong...keep going for your fills and don't give up~:smile:

We've all experienced this frustration!

I am right there with you. I was banded 3 months ago and I have had two fills. I have not reached restriction yet and I am HUNGRY!!!

I lost very little the first month of banding. I couldn't believe that I went through with the surgery and I still couldn't lose weight. I was educated enough before to know that with restriction comes weight loss. I read all about Bandster Hell on this forum and thought that I was prepared....whoo, it is much harder than I thought!

I have finally started to lose weight by basically going back to the basics....diet and exercise. I have limited myself to 1000-calories, +80-g Protein, and an hour of exercise a day. This is the only way that I have found to lose weight.

I have to maintain a strict control on my calories since I am not restricted yet. If I wanted to I could eat the same volume of food that I could pre-band without ever feeling that 'full' feeling. I know that I will eventually reach restriction after receiving another few fills. I cannot wait for that day to come!

Don't give up on the process. We will eventually reach restriction! Good luck to you!

wow that is so scary for me because im using all my money to pay for this and what if it doesnt work for me!

The only thing that keeps me going is the idea that one day I will be at my goal weight with the help of my band. I'm hungry all the time like everyone says the band work differently for everyone. Just cuz I'm having a hard time doesn't mean you will. If you feel that this will help you. There is no reason not to go after what you want. I wanted this so bad and I'm feeling a little down. But I have to force myself to realize that the band isn't going to do all the work. I'm going to have to start restricting myself as well. I paid for this myself so I know thinking it won't work is a scary thought. But think positive. I did it and it will work for me.. Sooner then later I hope. Monday is my next fill I'm really hoping that I start feeling something... I mean you read all these great stories about all these wonderful people losing all this weight and it seems so easy for them. I wonder if it was ever hard for them at the beginning? Or did they just lose it like nothing?

I have been banded for a year now. So far I have lost 35 pounds, so yes, it can be very slow. But.....the extra weight sure didn't get put on you overnight and it sure doesn't come off overnight either! I learned to say to myself...as long as I am doing the right things, as best as I can, I know it can't be wrong. My doc says as long as the scale shows some weight loss when I come in every three months...then not to worry. As you get your fills, you will start to feel restriction more and more. Try to teach yourself to have some mental patience. This will be a long term comittment so you may as well settle in for the long haul. A pound at a time my dear....before you know it, you will be shopping for new clothes because your others no longer fit!

I started feeling some restriction with my third fill. I'm heading in for my fifth on Wednesday; I think it will likely take me to my sweet spot.

That said, I've lost weight from the outset. At first, I just was terribly hungry as I lost. Now I am far less so.

What are you eating?

What are your eating habbits for the past few months?

At the beginning I couldn't really eat that much. That's why I'm so surpised that I didn't lose anything. Slowly I've been able to eat more and more.

-I drink a slimfast in the morning.

-Have small snack at work. like fruit or special K bar.

-I eat half my lunch which is like a sandwich, a salad, or a Soup ( not all 3)

but it's when I come home that I get hungry.

- I'll have a small bowl of special K Cereal

- dinner which is either chicken or fish with brown rice and some veggies.

It really isn't that bad. Or is it? :smile:

This is just a suggestion......

You may want to substitute your Special K bar and Cereal for something more Protein packed. The Protein will keep you feeling fuller longer. If you like the convenience of bars you should try a Protein Bar that has 20+ grams of protein in it. The strawberry Special K ones only have 1 gram of protein, 18 grams of carbs, and 9 grams of sugar (I am/was diabetic and am concerned about the sugar content).

I love the convenience of protein bars! I have gone through many different ones until I found one that tasted good and was filling. Mine has 20 grams of protein and I am able to stay satisfied after eating them for 3-4 hours.

Just stick with it. You are doing well and will do even better after a couple of fills! I am hoping for this for myself too!

I agree....up your protein! When I get in a pickle and I am "starving"....I keep that canned chicken breast meat and tuna in stock. There is usually a big bowl of prepared salad in my frid, so I grab either tuna or chicken, mix it with a little mayo and add that to my salad. Those imitation crab sticks are good in there too. Then I add dressing and that will almost always fill that empty spot in my tummy. There will be tons of advice available on here also of what others do for quick hunger fixes. You will learn what does the trick for you and just be sure to always have it on hand. I love meat, but my problem is since I do have restriction, many things just don't go down very well. Forget anything on the grill....it gets stuck nearly every time. I made hamburgers on the grill the other night....I got a few bites in....then it got stuck so I had to stop eating. Just recently I have learned to recognize the feeling of the very onset of getting stuck. When I get the feeling a problem is happening, I spit out what is in my mouth.....every bit.......and wait it out to make sure it goes down.

I agree- up your Protein, and something my nutritionist told me was to avoid drinking your meals. Instead of a slimfast for Breakfast, have an egg and a piece of toast and some fruit. Liquid Protein slips through too easily- you want to eat things that your body will need to work harder to digest.

Just a thought-

Things are finally starting to change. I just got my 3rd fill and I'm losing weight and pretty fast. I have to say. I was like 222lbs at the doctor on the 7/19 and as of today 7/23 - I'm at 214lbs... FINALLY! I really can't eat much but whatever :)