Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling & Eating out all the time....HELP!!

Hello All,

I've been banded for a while and haven't been overly successful. I travel all week, every week which means eating out every single meal. I orignially told myself that I just needed to order the 'right' foods. That this could actually be easier than eating at home. Nope! Just the opposite. Too many choices...eating too late... grazing on room service for hours and hours.

Has anyone successfully managed this type of lifestyle? Any hints and recommendations are very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Where do you stay when you travel? Could you switch from hotels to serviced apartments where you could cook for yourself?

I'm no fan of Protein shakes as a staple food, but maybe you could consider some sort of formula diet with shakes and bars - easy to pack and transport and then just go out for dinner every night? For the losing phase, this might work and then you would probably be able to at least maintain eating out so often if you choose right.

And invest in some running shoes and run/walk daily or use a gym if its available?

Where there's a will, there's a way but it would sure be hard in those circumstances.

I agree its not that easy. I travel with work also and am having issues. I have lost 60 pounds since January so its working but its hard. Eating on an expense account and being alone all the time makes making good choices difficult. You just have to try and do your best. Sorry I dont have a majic answer. The band helps me...tells me when to stop eating....but I feel your pain.

Here are some suggestions because I work at a hospital with fantastic food...that I do NOT need. I buy the packets of tuna fish and no salt saltines and take them to work with me. Those would easily fit into your travel bag. I use sparkpeople.com and it is WONDERFUL in tracking calories and fitness.

I'm also a grazer so I have a rule...that I do pretty well following....I eat my 3 meals...and then if I'm hungry in between I have to feel the actual grumbling in my stomach. Usually a cheese stick (another travel idea) and crackers or a SF pudding or yogurt will do. Otherwise, with the room service trays, when you are full, get rid of the tray right away. Dump tons of salt on it or something that will force you away from it. You are doing great losing 60 pounds and you are definitely in a tough spot but you can do it!! It does take some effort, though.

Here are some suggestions because I work at a hospital with fantastic food...that I do NOT need. I buy the packets of tuna fish and no salt saltines and take them to work with me. Those would easily fit into your travel bag. I use sparkpeople.com and it is WONDERFUL in tracking calories and fitness.

I'm also a grazer so I have a rule...that I do pretty well following....I eat my 3 meals...and then if I'm hungry in between I have to feel the actual grumbling in my stomach. Usually a cheese stick (another travel idea) and crackers or a SF pudding or yogurt will do. Otherwise, with the room service trays, when you are full, get rid of the tray right away. Dump tons of salt on it or something that will force you away from it. You are doing great losing 60 pounds and you are definitely in a tough spot but you can do it!! It does take some effort, though.

I'm on the staff of a football team and travel with them. You just solved something I was going to be concerned about. In the past I would eat Breakfast and usually not eat anything until 10 or 11 at night. And I don't eat after 8pm so often I still wouldn't eat.

I will try the tuna and crackers since they travel well and I can keep them with me is my back pack.