Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STUCK! for over an hour now....help!

So I have never been stuck for more then maybe 10 minutes but tonight I took one tiny bite of chicken and now its been over and hour and I am still stuck! I have thrown up several times...like 5! and the offending item doesn't seem to want to come out! I am just throwing up a lot of saliva! is this normal? I didn't realize we could get stuck for so long....I am terrified that this vomiting is going to make my band slip...anyone out there have a similar experience...i have tried everything from walking to jumping to drinking Water to get this out and nothing is working....:biggrin:

I am not a doctor, but my suggestion is to remain standing and stretch your arms above your head and do that repeatedly for a few minutes at a time until it goes down. I have held onto the top of the door seal for support. I know it sounds a little wierd. It worked for me but I was never stuck that long.

Relax and breathe, then walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk...

It will go one way or the other.

I just got my band,so dont know what to tell you. But reading this makes me not ever want to eat solid food. If you just eat a small bite of chicken and this happens. Going to rest of my life wondering if this will be the one bite that will make me go through this.:biggrin:

I'm just getting to the "stuck" phase and it's no fun for 5 minutes, I can't imagine for an hour. I've read that sometimes when you throw up, the band gets tighter on it's own. You want to take a teaspoon of warm liquid (decaf --- warm Water is fine) every 2-5 minutes. The warmth of the Water helps to loosen the band/esophagus. 1 teaspoon limits it so you don't overload and throw up again. Same thing with the timing.

Good luck.

try drinking a small amount of pineapple juice or eating a small piece of pineapple. The acid in the pineapple will help digest the food. When eating chicken of any kind you need to chew it more thoroughly. for some reason it is harder on some of us than others.

First of all, you should know that many of us have been through this so what you are experiencing is not all that unusual. Sometimes you can have swelling that is caused by the vomiting and it can feel like you are still stuck when in fact you are just swollen. If you are still stuck, chewing a few papaya tablets can help. If you are worried, call your Dr. because they can talk you through this first time experience. When it does finally pass you will probably be swollen so plan on drinking liquids tomorrow and then mushies the next day. Also, breathe. We all panic during this first experience and taking a few deep breaths will help you through this.

Let us know what happens.

I know exactly what you are going through. This happened to me the other day with my Multivitamin. It was the absolute worst. Try what the pp'er said, raise your arms up and walk, walk and walk some more. I also second drinking something warm/hot like tea. I went staight to get chewable vitamins. Also, I know we are not supposed to drink while eating but....sometimes I have to when eating chicken and dry meats. Otherwise, they may not go down easily. Good luck.....

the last time i was at my doctor's office, he was really backed up and all of us had an impromptu support gp meeting. One lady had a similar issue, but she was stuck for more than a day! She used a little bit of meat tenderizer in warm Water and it passed very quickly. I am not a doc...but thought the idea was ingenious...kinda like the pineapple juice! hope you are feeling better!!

Also, I know we are not supposed to drink while eating but....sometimes I have to when eating chicken and dry meats. Otherwise, they may not go down easily. Good luck.....

This is a bad idea!! I learned by experience.

If you drink while eating chicken the Fluid can reconstitute that chicken you just chewed up to a paste like consistency and it will stick.

For me, what I have found is that when I'm stuck I bend deep at the waist while standing. I stumbled upon this by accident. I had a horrible stuck episode and while I was up walking trying to get the offender down, I was doing laundry. I was bent over picking up the clothes and I felt the offender move, it almost felt like it was coming back up. I stood up, had a huge gurgle come out and I was no longer stuck. So now when I'm stuck I do the bending and 75% of the time it works...but that's what works for me, maybe not everybody.

~Annette~

How are you feeling now? What finally worked for you?

For me, I do the "downward dog" position. I stand and put my hands on the floor and let gravity pull it up until its high enough to trigger my gag reflex.

Also, for some reason, when I take clothes from the washer and put them in the drier, that helps. I guess alternating between twisting and bending kind works it through the band. Sometimes if I think I can get it down, I just mimic that motion and it works pretty good.

I can usually tell by the amount of slime and if my nose is running, that's a pretty good sign it's not going to go down. If just a little extra saliva, I have a shot at not PBing.

When I am t that stuck, I swallow about 4 oz. of Water, thst will start the launch sequence, so be near a toilet or sink. The offending item will come up with all the water.