Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you had plastic surgery covered by insurance?

Did your insurance cover plastic surgery?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did your insurance cover plastic surgery?

• Yes, they covered it all.
    • They covered some, not all.
    • They didn't cover anything.
    • In the process of getting approved right now.

Good question....I was told they don't cover it under any circumstances. Now thaT IS NOT TO SAY THAT THERE AREN'T SOME mILITARY hOSPITALS DOING IT, JUST NOT UNDER tRICARE.

Sorry for the caps, my finger slipped and I didn't want to retype.

Mimi

My husband and I are stationed in Kansas and I got the referral for a consult to see a plastic surgeon about my stomach. I am being positive; if they have given me the authorization to go see one, then they may pay for it. I got the standard; consult plus 3 visits. I will probably need to lose more weight though.

I have lost 70 pounds and in all honesty I don't want to lose any more. I am happy where I am.

I too have Tricare. We are stationed at Ft. Lewis and I had my band here. From what I have been told recently is that you can have a TT done at the Military Hospital but you now have to pay. Tricare isn't the ones charging for it, it's the hospitals. Madigan has been so wishy washy with the actual price that's it's quite frustrating. I have heard it can range from anywhere between $1800-8000. It all depends on what CPT code your doctor submits to the billing department at the hospital. I have an appointment next week to start the paperwork to submit to the billing department. He said he would try to go the cheapest route but still ultimately giving me what I want. It just really depends on your surgeons knowledge on the CPT codes. Good luck to everyone, I just thought I would share what I have found out as recent as yesterday.

I have Tricare Prime and they immediately approved me for a panniculectomy; the doctor's office told me that I would have to pay the difference for a Tummy Tuck which is about $6000 out of pocket in addition to what the insurance pays for the panni. I just don't have the money or the ability to make payments on it right now so I am just going for the panni. I have my scheduling appt on the 21st and will find out then when I'll have it done. So excited!:smile:

Leigh

After seeing this poll, I figured to give it a looksie, to see if my insurance company will cover it.

I learned that for weight loss surgery patients, they will cover surgery to remove the access skin 18 months after surgery, if the person has a stable weight for six months.

Nope my insurance wouldnt cover any of my extended anchor Tummy Tuck. It did cover part of my band. So my husband and I took out a medical loan at a low interst rate to pay for my tummy and breast implants.

My insurance approved my abdominoplasty w/ suction assisted fat removal (Lipo). I'm scheduled for surgery Dec. 22.

Here is what tricare says-

panniculectomy (tummy tuck) performed in conjunction with an abdominal or pelvic surgery when medical review determines that the procedure significantly contributes to the safe and effective correction or improvement of bodily function.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do?kw=Reconstructive+Surgery&topic=Women

My insurance co covered it all. Only because I had the band. If i didn't have the band they wouldn't have covered it. They felt the paid for me to loose the weight with the band they will pay to take off the extra skin. I got really lucky!

what insurance do you have?