Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st visit didn't help

I went to my first doctor's visit since my surgery last week, which itself was a really bad experience. I had to see the nurse since the doctor is out of town and I insisted I not have to wait and continue the clear liquid diet for another week if I didn't have to. Well, when I was there, she told me that my pills, which I thought were surely small enough to swallow, would need to be crushed. It made me feel bad to think I wouldn't even be able to swallow something so small, smaller than most pieces of candy, like what had I dont to myself that I can't even swallow a little pill anymore? Then I felt like she basically told me to never eat sugar or Pasta ever again. I got the band so that I could have those things, not all the time, but once in a while. Ugh, I already feel so much regret over getting the band and a lot of sadness too. This didn't help me. I guess i'm writing this in hopes that there will be some encouragement somewhere to help me remember I did a good thing. :smile2:

First off, let me say that you DID do a good thing! As for your appt, I am sorry it went so badly. Let me ask you this, have you been taking the pills whole already? If so, than I say continue on. If you haven't, are they something that you ABSOLUTELY NEED? Forgo them all together. I don't know of anyone who stops their meds for a week and then goes back on them (at least I dont know any..not saying there arent any). As for clear liquids.....did your doctor tell you when he did the surgery or before.....what the time frame is with liquids and purees and such? EVERY DOCTOR IS DIFFERENT..but I will say, I was on liquids (NOT CLEAR) from the day after my surgery, Soups and such, and I was told a week out, I could start soft and pureed foods (not in that order lol). BUT as for the sweets, everything in VERY LITTLE moderation I say, it is also why I chose the band. Not that I want to eat all that, as I realize that most of THAT was what contributed to my weight problem in the first place. I have had sweets...small amounts and it has not affected much of my weightloss. I would say (and this is just me) I would start having liquids other than clear....soups (without meat chunks, or puree them) and Protein Shakes, applesauce, Jello, puddings...just make sure you are liquifying those things before you swallow. I wish you luck, and say you did the right thing, don't let that oof bring you down.

I'm so sorry to hear that your first visit following surgery went badly.

Did you see a nutritionist before surgery or did your surgeon give you a schedule of what you should eat following surgery? If you still have questions, call the surgeon's office and ask that he/she return your call. If the nurse returns the call, tell him/her that you really need to speak with the surgeon, be firm. Have your questions ready.

Regarding medication. I was given a pill cutter while recovering in the hospital to bring home with me, you can purchase these at any pharmacy. I was told to swallow nothing larger than an m&m.

Good luck and gentle hugs.

Edited by Drasan

I think in most cases you will always get an answer from the nurse, that errors on the side of caution. first not every pill can be crushed (entric coated, time released etc) so saying you need to crush every pill is silly. I would say to split the pills that are long, such as Calcium pills, but most sizes of round pills are fine for just about every. also keep in mind that you dont even have any Fluid in your band so the odds of getting stuck are slim. If you do need to crush your pills now ( while the swelling in your stomach goes down) then rest assured that you wont have to do it forever. I will tell you my diet progression, but every doctor is different. I think mine advances diets a bit more slowly then some others that I have heard, but again better safe then sorry.

week one - Clear Liquids only ( only approved non see through item was Protein shakes)

week two- week 1 foods + full liquids ( Jello, cream Soup, etc)

week three - week 1 &2 foods + soft foods ( cream of wheat, pudding, mashed taters, hummis, cottage cheese etc)

week four - weeks 1,2 &3 foods + non red meat Proteins ( fish, chicken, shrimp, lobster, crab etc)

week five - weeks 1,2,3 & 4 + fruits and veggies advoiding uncooked veggies until well tolerated

week six - weeks 1,2,3,4 & 5 + red meat, Pasta, bread, and rice - be careful with these foods, try them in small amounts one at a time until you know how u will tolerate them.

**NEVER FOODS** carbonated beverages & gum

that was it. good luck and if you are unsure of anything call your doctor or nutritionist

I was banded just over a week ago and have no trouble taking any of my pills including a decent sized capsule.

As for the diet progression post-op, mine is as follows

Week one: full liquids

Week two: mushy foods (anything the consistency of applesauce)

Week three: soft foods and progress from there

While I don't think you made a mistake getting the band, it sounds like your surgical practice may not be the best fit for you. You may want to search around and see if there are other offices you can work with even though you have already gone ahead with the surgery.

Good luck to you-

kagead

I still don't know what I am going to do about the pills but I was originally told that I could have my pills if they were smaller than an M&M as well, and now the nurse is saying differently. I even called the pharmasist to see if my pills should be cut and they told me no because it is an extended release.

As for the diet, I am suprised that the diets are so different for everyone. You would think the doctors would be on the same page. Mine was this:

week 1: Clear Liquids only, no Protein, no pills, no Vitamins (no wonder I feel like crap, and they wanted to do it for two weeks until the doctor got back)

week 2: full liquids, including applesauce, Jello and oatmeal. I can have my pills, Vitamin and Protein now.

week 3: mushy foods. pretty much baby food and mashed potatoes

week 4: soft foods.

I would love to start eating mashed potatoes now. I should just be happy I can have more than just Water and diluted juice.

First off, let me say that you DID do a good thing! As for your appt, I am sorry it went so badly. Let me ask you this, have you been taking the pills whole already? If so, than I say continue on. If you haven't, are they something that you ABSOLUTELY NEED? Forgo them all together. I don't know of anyone who stops their meds for a week and then goes back on them (at least I dont know any..not saying there arent any). As for clear liquids.....did your doctor tell you when he did the surgery or before.....what the time frame is with liquids and purees and such? EVERY DOCTOR IS DIFFERENT..but I will say, I was on liquids (NOT CLEAR) from the day after my surgery, Soups and such, and I was told a week out, I could start soft and pureed foods (not in that order lol). BUT as for the sweets, everything in VERY LITTLE moderation I say, it is also why I chose the band. Not that I want to eat all that, as I realize that most of THAT was what contributed to my weight problem in the first place. I have had sweets...small amounts and it has not affected much of my weightloss. I would say (and this is just me) I would start having liquids other than clear....soups (without meat chunks, or puree them) and Protein Shakes, applesauce, Jello, puddings...just make sure you are liquifying those things before you swallow. I wish you luck, and say you did the right thing, don't let that oof bring you down.

+1, I agree. I stayed on liquids for 1 week. It really differs from doctor to doctor, but the reason being is that your body is healing and Protein intake in liquid form is essential for the muscles repairing the damages done during the procedure. As for sweets, I had a soft serve one time, big deal, i must have had 4 tbsp of it before my body told me to stop, and I did without further cravings. If you needs sweets, make sure its no calories and no fat...and never force yourself, you'll just puke it out. Youre doing fine!

Try not to be discouraged and remain positive and committed to this lifestyle change that you have entered into. The band is only an aid to weight loss though and we each must do our part in order to make it successful.

Every doctor is definitely different. I was on liquids for a full six weeks post-op. As for pills, the bariatric coordinator at my surgeon's office advised of the need to crush what could be crushed and to substitute liquid medicine options where possible for other meds at our preliminary visit a good six months prior to surgery. It was at that same visit that I was given a document with dietary guidelines that outlined what foods would be difficult if not impossible to include in a post-band diet plan. I'm grateful for receiving that information early on and wish that other physicians would share at that same level.

Good luck.

Edited by Katy517