Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any help?? I am dieing, last night i woke up choking from it - i have tried prilosec, protonix, maaloxx.. i am miserable :thumbup:

I have it super bad too! I have to take Prevacid daily. Only thing that works for me. If I dont take it, im miserable

You may want to try eating earlier.....I will not eat after 7pm because of this. I wake up at night coughing and reflux as well if I eat too late.

YES!!! I've been having trouble off and on since Christmas. Doc unfilled me in Jan. and that helped for a little bit but it came back with a vengeance! Found out that I was eating all the wrong foods and when you have a tiny little pouch for your food, the wrong kinds can really hurt! Was told NO...chocolate, caffine, tea's unless they are herbal decaffinated, spicy, greasy, deep fried, acidy, citrusy, Tomato based, and strong spices like mint or cinnamon. All the foods I love basically, and ate a lot of! Also a big no-no is NSAID's like Ibuprofen. They have me taking basically two previcid (40 mg total) a day one pill every 12 hours until told otherwise and no eating or drinking for 3 hours before bedtime. I also sleep propped up on 3 pillows. I go in for GI Tests and lapband inspection this Friday. Don't let it go for too long though, if it persists definately see your bariatric doc! Many bad things can happen if you let this go for too long! Good luck!

Edited by LaDawnS

Whillow, didn't i read another thread of yours a day or two ago where you said that your band is really tight but you like it that way because of the weight loss?

It sounds as though your reflux is a direct consequence of you having your band too tight. The quick weight loss is not worth the damage that you are doing to yourself. you need to get and get some fill removed ASAP.Severe reflux can cause all sorts of problems and may even lead to you losing your band or worse.

Please don't ignore this.

I have the same issue. From time to time I have a complete unfill done for 1 month, and that probably lasts me about 3 to 4 months of no problems. I also take Prevacid prn (as needed). As well, I do not eat after about 6 PM. If I am really having issues then I go to liquid diet temporarily. When I am better I start to re-introduce soft foods and once I eat a certain food that gives me problems, then it goes on my "no eat" list. Going back to liquid diet temporarily may help because the acid buildup is sometimes due to food that is stuck.

I always go to my doc if I am having problems for 3 to 5 consecutive days. If you let it go too long then you may be subjecting yourself to major problems in the future, such as, chronic esophagitis or esophageal cancer (to name a few).

Thanks guys-

I will buy some prevacid - prilosec isnt working and I will call the dr today.

whats weird is i am fine all day - can eat small amount for Breakfast and lunch, but then this hits around dinner time

Okay...I have a stupid question... What does acid reflux feel like? Thanks.

Acid reflux feels like what the name implies, that you have acid washing up your throat. It burns and chokes you.

I'm having the same issue, plus I am having problems with restriction but the doc says my band is LOOSE. Some days I can only get liquids down, and barely, other days I can eat like a lumber jack.

I'm on 80mg of Nexium a day and still have heartburn. My issues are: Restriction, Heartburn, Nausea

Anyone else have this problem?

I have the horrible heartburn so I have carafate slurry and Protonix but does anyone have a problem with frequent vomiting? I am one year out and the vomiting just started recently. Regardless of what I eat.

Hi Steph,

If you are throwing up that frequently, I would talk to your bariatric doc! I was having the same problem! I was a year out May 1st. I got to the point that no solid food stayed down and my doc had me go in to get a swallow test, stomache x-ray. They found out that my band had been to tight, causing the acid reflux...which in turn caused my lower stomache to swell and go up my band causing a big blockage! I was to the point, two days before my tests that I couldn't even keep Water down! There was barely a trickle getting through my band! They emptied my band and want me to wait for 6 weeks and then I will go get it filled again. They said that it should all be healed by then. It took a few days for my stomache swelling to go down and allow me to eat solids again...BUT...the acid reflux that I had been suffering horribly from since Christmas was instantly gone the minute they emptied my band!!! I slept laying down instead of straight up and down on four pillows for the first time many months, that night!!! It's been wonderful!!!! And even though my band is empty, I've been loosing weight again, which I had not been doing much of since Christmas either! Hope this helps you! Good luck with everything!:tt1:

Edited by LaDawnS

sleeping laying down? oh I cant wait! Glad that everything worked out for you without too much intervention or having to get your band removed. that is my fear. I will def call them after the holiday! I am 3lb from goal so if they emptied most of it I wouldnt be horribly worried. I have only had 3 fills and at the last one he said it was only half full so I have some space to play with.

sleeping laying down? oh I cant wait! Glad that everything worked out for you without too much intervention or having to get your band removed. that is my fear. I will def call them after the holiday! I am 3lb from goal so if they emptied most of it I wouldnt be horribly worried. I have only had 3 fills and at the last one he said it was only half full so I have some space to play with.

I'm glad you're going to call your doc! Hopefully it's the same as me and you just have your band a bit too tight. Simple fix!

Congratulations on being only 3 pounds from your goal!!! That's awesome! I still have about 17 more pounds to go...but now that I'm actually loosing again, hopefully, I'll be there soon! Take Care!

I had the same problem. Was sleeping sitting up and still was choking on stomach acid. Went to have band checked and found out that i had a huge bulge the size of a mandarin orange. Was completely unfilled and a month later (today) I went back to have it checked and thank god it had gone back to normal. Was scared to death that I would gain weight but with careful watching of what I ate and having only Soup for dinner i actually lost 4 lbs which I hadn't done since Dec. WooHoo!! If you continue to have a problem get a barium check and follow their directions carefully. Tip: sleeping on your left side helps too. :thumbup: Good luck and hang in there as it will work out.

Thanks,, I am actually much better and not taking prilosec anymore.. I do however take a little maloxx before bed just in case,, but im doing well and down 74lb