Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon is too Soon?

I was banded on may 25th and im getting my first fill tonight, 4 days shy of a month. Is it too soon? I have not even had reg food, still on soft food! I am a lil nervous. I have had some tender meats cut real small and mixed wth mashed potatoes or butternut squash, and some grilled chicken breast that i cooked nice and tender.

I imagine you'll get a few different responses on this. My doc waits until you are on your lifetime (solid) diet and you're 6 weeks post-op before he gives a fill.

Not sure what everyone else will say, as there are many different docs and instructions that each of them follow, but that's my story :-)!

Good luck to you!!

I think a few days before the 4 week mark is fine. Good luck!

The timing may be fine but I wouldn't do it if I weren't eating "normal" food yet.

My surgeon has a rule of 6 weeks as well.

Some surgeons do a fill during surgery. I have seen some that do fills at 4 weeks. It seems the majority use 6 weeks, but each has his or her guidelines. I do not believe there is one set standard.

Well all went well! I got 4cc's in my 15 cc band. She said see how I feel this morning with mushies. I am hungry ever 2 hrs. today. I will try reg food tomorrow. As far as guidlines, she said they are just guidlines. every person is different. and she treats each patient individually. who knows? I dont think I have any swelling from the fill because I feel I can eat alot still! :smile2:

For many the first fill does not provide much restriction. Do go easy today, but being hungry is not surprising. Also, for me, my hunger feels the same, I just don't feel it as often and it goes away more quickly when I eat. But when hungry, I swear I could still eat the same amount as before being banded.

After two years, my head knows that is not the case, but my stomach doesn't!

I just got my first fill a week ago. I found out I already had 3 ccs in my 10 cc band - didn't even know that! They added 2 ccs. I felt almost the same the first 2 days, but just not hungry, and stuck to liquids. However, it was like the swelling was a delayed reaction - it hit on day 3. I think it *may* be subsiding today - but I def. feel different! Have to eat VERY slowly, and only a little, and no hard food yet. It's all a learning curve!

I had my first fill a few days shy of the 4 week mark but I was already on solid foods. I only got .25cc put in because I still have good restriction. I wouldnt go for a fill if you arent on solid foods yet, how do you know how its really working ?

Last night I went out to Bonefish Grill. I ate 5 Bang Bang Shrimp, 6oz pc of monk fish with a few spoons of mashed potatoes and 2 pcs of asparagus! I ate very slowly! we were there for 2 hours. This was too much food although I never got that full feeling. I chewed my food really well and took my time. I never even got those weird lil hiccups when I am full.:thumbup: I think I will call my Dr on monday and see if I can get an other fill.

The hiccups are my signal but different people have different signals. Yawn; sneeze; watery eyes; etc... Give it some time and you will recognize yours.

You may have spent 2 hours in the restaurant but you should not spend more than 30 minutes eating or else it becomes grazing and if timed right you can eat forever.