Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help Lap Ban Comm.!!!

Hello All,

After much prayer, success and failure, I am seriously considering getting the band. I must admit that I am all over the place emotionally though!! Some days I am ready to have done right then and there and other times I am terrified hoping I am making the right decision. My wife is fully on board and continues to encourage me which really helps to calm the raging waters inside my head. I have been reading the threads on the forum and must say that you all are great resources for honest information.:thumbup: I am having trouble with landing on one side or the other though. I am praying I can come to the place where I am sure this is the road I want to take.

I have tried in the past and have lost the weight only to see it come back in less than half the time it took to get it off. I want to be healthier not only for myself, but for my wife and 4 children. They deserve better than what I sometimes give (although they say that I am a great husband and father) simply because I don't have the energy to give more. I know this is not the end-all solution, but from many posts I have read, it definitely helps you control your portion size. Any advice on how to deal with the emotional part of the process is very much appreciated. Also, was anybody else out there uncertain about going through with it and if so what did you do to help with the back and forth roller coaster of emotions? Thanks everyone!

Chris_Houston, TX

I asked to back out on the operating table! But after waking up and realizing I had take a huge step I would not turn back. A week after surgery felt better than any day before surgery.

I had my first adjustment last week and while it will not be the last it has changed things for me majorly. My meals were smaller already since getting the band but they just got even smaller.

I feel amazing and my friends say they see a difference in the way I look and in my energy. I love exercising. I want to be active all the time. My food bill is cheaper :thumbup: I do not eat fast food because eating for a bandster is not fast.

But I am having a challenge when realizing enough is enough. If I put too much on my plate I have to give it to somebody else to throw away or I will try and eat it until I am hurting. This has been the toughest change to make... throwing excess away! My mom always taught me not to waste food and it has been absolutley horrible. I was not prepared for it but I am making progress everyday.

I wish you the best in your decision whatever it may be.

Thanks for the quick response!! I too was taught to eat all of my food. It's hard to undo years of bad training but I am willing to do what it takes because my family mean that much to me. I have just started the approval process so I don't have a date yet. I just have to be sure I let no one talk me out of it!!

A part of feels like I am giving up since I am choosing the surgery versus traditional weight loss. I guess it's pride that says not to go through with it. I know people who have lost the weight both ways. They both have had to work hard to keep the weight off. I am hoping this is the restraint I need.

Thanks again for the quick response. I will keep everyone posted and also will be uploading some pics!! God Bless!!

I 100% am feeling the same as you are...and i do believe that most of us feel this way before taking this step. I am due to have surgery next month .. Ive read and read this forums and maybe i think sometimes I shouldnt read so much and get freaked out...lol. I know this decision will change my life. I have a BMI of 36 now and cant imagine the day its a 22 and i am feeling like a different person. I have two children and I want to LIVE for them...A LONG LIFE! too many failures in my past to not do this espcially when my insurance covers it. I am scared every day but I know its the right thing...and its ok to have reservations about it....hope this insight helps!

Wow!! That's re-assuring to know that this is somewhat normal. Thanks again for responding, everyone!!

I don't believe getting the band is admitting failure. There are very, very few people who lose the weight and keep it off. Look at the regain rate on the show "Biggest Loser". More than 50 % of those folks will gain it back. The band is another tool that will help in keeping the weight off for good by the discomfort felt when you overeat.

@ shelley1057...Thanks!! How long have you been banded and please share what your experience has been like?

So many of us could lose weight. It is the maintenance that was the hard part for me. Now I am over two years banded, and I am maintaining my loss with ease. It is wonderful to have this tool to help me in the battle to be healthier. It doesn't make the choices for me, nor does it get me out the front door to exercise, but never in my life have I been this successful at a weight-loss program.

Only you can decide if it is worth it for you. Only you can decide if you have given "tradtional" diet and exercise plans your all and they have failed you. I was on blood pressure meds and on my way to diabetes. That is no longer the case for me. Right decison for me? So far, yes.

Best wishes.

Hi Chris-

I was in your place over a year ago. On the fence and wanting to do something about my weight, but then not wanting to admit to myself that I can't do it on my own and that I need help.

One of my reasonings, in my head, was that there was no way I could give up eating for two weeks (or more) before the surgery. It was silly of me to think that I valued food for two weeks more than the rest of my life. Does that make sense? Right now, I'm on day 7 of my pre-op two weeks, and you know what?! I'm still alive! I'm doing it and it's not that bad.

I have two kids, the youngest being 13months. Right now, I was on the fast track to having a heart attack by the time she started school, or worse yet, even sooner. I NEED to be around to see my girls grow up. My quality of life should not revolve around what my next meal is going to be, and when I made that decision that enough is enough, I made the call to the surgeon.

That was in April and my surgery is next week. I don't know what the future holds, and of course I'm scared of what I'm giving up....but I'm more scared of missing out if I'm dead. That's kind of blunt, but you get the idea!

One thing that really inspired me was looking at the before and after pics. Knowing that these are real people who have done it before me just gave me SO MUCH HOPE. If they can do it, so can I.

This blog also pushed me too. She's awesome and such a success story. Look at her before and after pics. Unbelievable!! www.cheeseandsunkist.blogspot.com She's on here and she's awesome.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. We're all here to support you! Good luck with your decision!!

Sorry...We're having a bit of a summer storm here in Florida and the power went out and then this site said my password I entered was wrong so trying to change it and then it let me on anyway! Anyway answering your question, I have not been banded yet. I am starting my 2nd week of the Optifast liquid diet and will be banded June 29th at Palms of Pasadena Hospital in St. Pete. And I AM counting the days! I have battled my weight all my life, I am now 52 yo and have tried many, many diets most with success but always managed to gain the weight back. I also have had to quit smoking a few time and gained weight with each attempt. I had a heart attack at age 47 with placement of 2 cardiac stents. In 2008 I had chest pain and 2 more stents were placed. I also developed Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, have high cholesterol and asthma. I am also profoundly deaf and have been hearing impaired since age 5 months when I had measles. Since my 20's I have been on massive doses of steroids in an attempt to keep me from losing any more hearing but alas it was a progressive thing anyway. I worked as a cardiac nurse for 15 years but gave that up when I couldn't get hired due to being deaf. The Drs don't like it when you can't hear on the phone. Anyway I attended a seminar Jan 2009 as I knew 2 women who had Lapband done. Since that time I have been doing whatever was required to get this approved through my insurance. Being on disability means I have Medicare Advantage. Had to change insurance companies in Jan 2010 because the old one don't approve Lapbands. Had to then get a new PCP since the old one didn't take my new insurance plan. I don't own a scale but after one week of this Optifast I already have more energy, my breathing has improved and the swelling in my feet and ankles is gone! I have ankles!!!!!! Oh well, in 6 months I won't have any boobs!!!! I am excited and impatient for this next phase of my life. I've read all the posts about surgery day and post-op. I have a high pain tolerance so I'm not afraid of that, just that I won't lose! Right now all I can think about is a real cigarette and real food!!! But I suppose that's to be expected. I just keep telling myself how much better I'm gonna feel and it will all be worth it. :thumbup::Banane20::party:

Hi,

I've only been banded for three weeks, but I am thrilled with my decision. Including the pre-op, I've already lost 30 lbs...and I haven't lost that much at one time in years! I hadn't made any positive health changes in a long time-- I'd kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'd always be big, lethargic, achy, etc.

So..I thought about the surgery for a couple years, but I wasn't ready until the end of last year. I was still dealing with uncertainty throughout the process, but then something I read or heard really hit home: if you qualify for the surgery, it means that your risk of not doing anything is greater than the risk of surgery. For some reason that really struck me--that by just continuing to do what I'd always done(not much), I'd continue to be at a very high risk for adverse health outcomes. In some ways, the qualification made the decision for me :thumbup:

You have to do what's right for you--and I tend to believe when you're ready you'll know it.

Best of luck to you whatever path you choose.

Wow!! I am overwhelmed by the amount of support I am already getting from so many people on the forum. I am also amazed at how so many of you are or either have been where I am today (back and forth on whether or not to do it). The more I think about the more I realize that this something that I need to do. PRIDE often blinds us to what we really need to see! I can't say enough times how much I appreciate the outpouring of honest opinions. You all are GREAT!!

@shelley1057...thanks for being so open about your health. It really helps me put things in perspective. I too have type 2 diabetes and I know if I don't make the decision to do something now, many more complications can come from having this debilitating disease. My quality of life is no where near where it should be. I am often too drained to even play with my children which is something I love to do. People often say you have to push through the tiredness and just do it, but it's a lot easier said than done especially when you feel like you have been caught in a stampeded!!:smile2:

I think I my decision has been made. I am just praying that I can get the approval from my insurance to have the surgery done.

Thanks again All!!!!

Chris_Houston,TX

What insurance do you have and do you know their policy yet?? We are all here to support one another, and I can say that joining this site has helped me tremendously in my decision , not to mention how informative and family like it is. Good luck...you better keep us updated...lol. And do you have a surgeon in mind yet?

Chris...knowledge is power. Read everything you can. Spend time on this site. Ask as many questions you can think of. Focus on the end result. And, #1, don't let anyone push you to doubt your decision for a healthier you.

The best advice I can give you is to absolutely stick to your doc's rules...even when it's tough to do so. Feed your newly banded stomach like you would feed your newborn...very carefully. With thought and planning. It's not easy but all the effort is worth it. You will not have restriction at first and that, in itself, can be quite frustrating. Just take everything day by day and as I stated above, focus on the end result that you are looking for.

I was a slug prior to my LB surgery which was 2 yrs ago last week. With each pound loss, I felt a renewed energy. I hit the ground running each morning and have endless energy throughout the day. I'm 54 yrs old and had countless health troubles. Today, I take no medications. My highest weight was 249#. Go into my public profile and look at b/4 and afters...do the same with other banders that are a year or two out. I used to do that and it gave me the kick to stick with my plan even when things were tough.

There are sooooooooo many ppl on this site that are willing to talk you through anything you might not be sure about. Good luck with your decision and the decision to make your life a healthy one for your family.

I started to look into the surgery in december and had the surgery on may 14. During this time I was a roller coaster of emotions and also tried to back out. My husband has been supportive but never really thought I needed the surgery. I surely hoped he would support my wanting to back out. But he didn't. Continue to educate yourself here and lapband.com and with your surgeons team. I hadn't decided to definitely have the surgery until the moment I scheduled it and in my heart, I knew it was the right thing to do. The first few days postop were hard and I wondered the the HE!! I did to myself!! But many go through that too. I'm almost 6 weeks postop with my first fill scheduled in a week. I'm losing, have more energy and have been getting many compliments. Not everyone loses immediately postop though because they pump you up with fluids and you are healing. I already know that this is the best thing I ever did for myself!!