Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have a large band?

Hello! I've been reading messages on this site for months but never took the time to post anything, (I'm not that savvy on the comp.). I have been banded since July 2009. I have been slow at my weight loss but I have recently had a fill in my band and I'm up to 9.5 in my 14 band. I was wondering who else has a 14 band and how long did it take you to find your sweet spot?I had this posted on introductions but I thin I should've poted it here...oops!

Welcome from lurkdom. I have a 14cc band and it's currently filled to 6.5cc with no restriction so far. There's at least one thread/poll here about fill amount to gain restriction in a 14cc band.

Here are the links to a couple of threads regarding the 14cc band and what it takes to get restriction http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f13/how-many-ccs-restriction-14cc-52373/ & http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f13/poll-poll-how-much-fill-14cc-band-111551/.

There's at least one thread/poll here about fill amount to gain restriction in a 14cc band.

Thanks Katy for the info. I will definitely check it out!:smile2:

Hi there and welcome!

I have a large band (14cc) and it seemed like it took FOREVER to get it properly adjusted.

I had my surgery last August and am down 40lbs at the moment. My first year's goal is to lose 50lbs. It took 6 fills and 8 months for me to reach my sweet spot, up until then weight loss was more difficult and a lot more me than the band. Good restriction makes weight loss a lot easier. Now that it's been a couple of months from that great fill, things are loosening up again and I'm scheduled for another fill next month.

Hang in there, it's worth it!

Thanks for the positive advice Trixie! I seem to be obessed with the scale since I have started losing again and I have that feeling of dread every time I get on that it will show I've stopped losing weight. Did the Dr. give you any idea why he gave you a lg. band?

So this is interesting to me. I have a 14 CC band and have been losing weight. I do notice, however, that as time elapses I am able to eat more (normally at dinner). My most recent fill brought me to 7.8 cc (was a .6 cc adjustment) and I will tell you this. It is FAR more restrictive.

Maybe this is what I was supposed to get to, I am not sure. I know that I am having to be VERY careful about everything (I was being a good patient before, but now it is extreme).

Is this the "Sweet Spot" you folks refer to? I am on a business trip (which usually causes at best a stoppage of weight loss due to increased sodium consumption from dining out) but I know that my quantities will be down across the board.

i have large band & never feel satisfied. they keep telling me i will get there in time. lost 30lbs in 6months not very happy w that:thumbdown:

What size band? What is it filled to? How many fills have you had? When was your most recent fill?

i have large band & never feel satisfied. they keep telling me i will get there in time.

What size band? What is it filled to? How many fills have you had? When was your most recent fill?

im not sure how much is in i think they may have said 5.5 but i can eat anything. i have had people ask me if im sure i had the operation because im eating the same or more then before the operation. its very frustrating because drs. keep telling me to be patient. how many fills does it take to get to that full feeling because i never really feel full. i hear people say they can only eat a half sandwich i can eat the whole thing & not feel anything. im going back again to drs. on 7/8 for another fill was supposed to be on 7/19 but i called & said i put on 3lbs. i have had 2 other people in my office that went & had this done 3 months after me & they both lost more weight than i did. HELP. I find myself going back to my old habits because this band is letting me.:bored:

I have a 14 CC band. Immediately after surgery I had restriction. It eased as the swelling went down (I assume since there was no fill at that point) and I have had 3 fills subsequently. Each one provided restriction and I certainly have never felt as though I could eat anything since surgery.

The band is a tool but you have to work on it too (obviously and not meant with any disrespect). The pre-op diet and initial weeks were supposed to train me (and you) to think of food differently. "Eat to live, not live to eat," and all that crap. (Read as true but annoying) The band is simply the guard enforcing it.

Your guard seems to be asleep. I hope your Doc can figure out why. Good luck!

It's different for everybody. Many say three fills, but folks differ. You should probably make an appointment with your doctor and find out for sure how much you're filled with and if you're due for a fill.

im not sure how much is in i think they may have said 5.5 but i can eat anything.... how many fills does it take to get to that full feeling...

I had my first fill last week, june 21st, in a 15cc band, 4ccs fill. My doc said to come back this week if there is no change. So I made the appt for Friday july 2nd. I hope this fill will provede some restriction because if I eat slow and chew I can eat a lot, and I get hungry in 2 hours. I wonder how many ccs she will put in this time?

I was banded on 5/5/09 and so far I lost about 70lbs. To date it took me about 6 fills with one minus .2cc and then 6 weeks later he put back the .2 cc. I'm presently at 12.4cc on my 14cc band and i'm at my sweet spot. I hear everyone is different with the amount of fills they need. I'm a guy so I don't know how different it is for women with large bands. Some days I feel alot tighter than other days, right now I'm very restricted but a few days ago I could eat more (2cups of chili compared to a 1/2 cup chili). I'm just happy I'm finally at my sweet spot and the weight is coming off with more ease. So good luck and keep working at the fills you will know when your at your sweet spot

My surgery date was April 28th with Dr Jessee too. My starting weight was 371. I have a 14cc band and got my first fill on June 8th 6.6cc. I did notice restriction right away but things seemed to get easier to eat and digest. I have lost a total of 45 lbs since preop and have started working out much more. I notice I am starting to drift up on the scale and am scheduled for another fill this week. I am hoping to get to the better restriction after this fill and see the weight start dropping.