Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 6/16, so I'm basically on broth and Protein Shakes for two weeks. My questions are:

1. Did anyone else experience painful burps...Like a gas bubble is in your chest and cant make it's way up?

2. Did anyone else experience pain when laughing.

3. Is anyone having a hard time with the Protein shakes (i.e., getting them down)? Is anyone using Protein Shots at GNC or anything smaller in volume?

I don't get the burps.. I get kinda like a hiccupy burp hah. I did experience gas in my chest that wouldn't come up.. it eventually went away.. TREMENDOUS pain when laughing.. I thought I was going to bust a stitch and felt like my stomach was going to rip on the inside. But it went away as well. The only thing hard about getting the shakes down, in my opinion, is that they taste HORRIBLE.. If you are having a hard time swallowing it for any other reason, maybe the band is too tight for you.

I definitely had pain that felt like it was stuck post op... not super bad but would twist my body to work it out.

Painful laughing for sure!!! I would hug a pillow when coughing or laughing- helped, not 100% but good enough

I wasn't allowed Protein shakes until after the first 10 days (was on clears) so can't help there...

I still get painful burps / stuck gas if I go too long between meals. It took me a while to figure out that was the cause, but I am almost 100% sure now. It also gives me referred pain in my shoulder, which is what prompted me to get to the bottom of it. try gas x and hopefully it will improve when u get onto more solid foods. also drink very slowly and eat very slowly. sure u know but no straws. all of those things make u swallow more air, thus more burps :smile2:

as for the drinks, I use chocolate powder from Walmart, and add a 1/2 tsp of Peanut Butter or 1/2 of a bananna..........or both if it has been a pretty low cal day and make a smoothie. anyway this helps with the taste for me, but u have to be careful because PB has lots of calories so dont use too much. if u like other flavors better, then just add some sort of frozed fruit in place of ice and blend it up and that helps too

sure the pain with laughing will pass once u heal more, but it takes a long time for the port site to stop being tender at times, I am still waiting for that day

Good luck to you:thumbup:

well at least you can burp! Havent been able to since being banded 2 weeks ago :smile2:

I had horrible pain from a stuck bubble of air. It was right where my ribs meet in front. Gas X is what my doc said to take. It eventually went away, but it was horrible.

I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. It is a bit more expensive than most brands, but it actually tastes good. The only place I have been able to find it is online at unjury.com.

I hope you feel better soon.