Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days post op and I am STRUGGLING !!

I didnt know it was going to be like this .. honestly. I jumped through every hoop my Dr's put in front of me. I had an EKG, a stress test a sleep study, blood drawn a chest xray... I even STOPPED SMOKING. I was ready for my life to begin..

I sit here 7 days after the surgery and i cant even tell if im hungry or not .. I honestly dont know if what I am feeling is hunger pains or just general low grade pain.

Also I dont get Soups being included on the diet plan for the first two weeks .... doesnt it slip right through ?!? i am so confused.

I have also decided that I despise Jello .. omg I hate this substance now more than i ever have anything else in my life.

Also is it normal that 7 days post op I have only lost 2 pounds ??

Sorry everyone I know it sounds like I am complaining but I am kind of sad right now :smile2:

I know how you feel. I to stopped smoking, but lap band or not I'm glad I did stop. After reading some of the posts today I wonder how some of us could of been so unprepaired for the surgery. I don't think this part was explained to me has it should of been. I am also at fauilt for not reading up more on it. All I can do is hope its worth it like others have said.

Why does everyone worry about their damned weight so soon after surgery?! Wait until you heal first! Yes, the liquid diet sucks! I have also discovered that if I ever see Jello again I will vomit. Talk to your doctor. Find out what else you can possibly eat. Me, I can eat about 1/2 cup of something and not be hungry. I'm almost a week out from surgery but I would definitely like to eat something else other than liquids. You can do this but it will be a struggle.

I was banded 5 days ago, and I must say I was not prepared for the gas pains and the burping. My gas keeps getting stuck in my check -- like a burp that cant quite make it out. :smile2: I'm okay with the liquid diet, I guess. I think I might be having a hard time getting my liquids in. I have no desire at all to intake liquids or foods. I feel like I have to force it down at times. I guess everyone is different.

Sorry about the smoking thing, but hopefully, it works out for you. You have a lot of big life changes going on so be mindful of realistic expections.

oh my goodness. i'm only a month post-op, but i had the same exact feelings as you did my first week and a half out. i STILL don't think i can eat a jello-cup or a creamed Soup ever again! lol. but i promise things will go up from here! just follow your dr.'s diet (as much as it SUCKS) and HIDE THE SCALE! hahaha. i still have to hide my scale or i obsess over how much i way from day to day.

p.s. WAY TO GO quitting smoking! that shows how much will-power you have. you'll do great with the band. :smile2:

First off congratulations on quitting smoking- best thing you have done for yourself and I know from personal experience it is very hard!!!

The post op period is weird- all these changes in your body- having to learn what is what but it comes and it gets easier. As far as having Soups in the beginning- basically you are on liquids because they are easier to digest. This puts less strain on your stomach which gives time for it to heal and for the band to settle into place securely. Many folks will tell you the post op is not a time for losing but a time for healing.

As far as not losing a lot- did you lose a lot in your preop diet? Also remember that during your surgery you were pumped full of liquids- you may still be holding on to that.

Hope you feel better!

You want things to slide through after surgery so you do not irritate your stomach. Just remember, they cut you open, moved organs around, lifted up your liver and stomach, wrapped a strange object around your stomach, and sewed the object to it. You want to baby it, let it heal and keep hydrated. Weight will fall off later. Just focus on healing!

Be kind to yourself and your body. You have been through a lot of trauma. It gets better every day.

Good luck to you!

I am 5-days post-op. Up until yesterdsay, I followed my doctor's post-op diet to the "T" - Clear Liquids Only. I was so weak from not consuming calories, I had a Protein shake. I felt 100% better after having the Protein. For the most part I am focused on healing & trying to take advantage of the weight loss that will occur from my new liquid diet.

Still a little sore from surgery; I feel about 80% and very excited to start my new life with Lap Band.

It's perfectly normal to be sad and it's ok. You're ONLY 7 days post op as am I. Mentally, it's rough. This is a huge lifestyle change, not to mention physically. Plus, you stopped smoking. You are doing GREAT! 2lbs? No worries. . . that's the one thing I have learned is this stage is truly about healing (though I wish it were more weight loss). I don't know if I'm hungry or not either. Or if I have gas, or the hernia or what!? But.. I know I'm not ravenous and snarfing everything in sight. . so this is a good sign. . I think? :smile2: Hang in there. . give yourself a few weeks to feel like crap, be sad, even be mad. . but know that you are doing well. (Not sure who I think I am spouting off advice like that. . but it's true!) :) All my best!

Please know that you are not alone!!! I am 4 days post-op and I do understand all of your feelings. First KUDOS to you for quitting smoking. That's something that I just haven't done yet. But, back to the original post. All I can say is follow what your dr says. It's not about losing weight right now, but healing the inside of your body. Just imagine what it's been through!!! I am on 5 weeks full liquids which means I can have a liquids plus oatmeal, yogurt, pudding and the dreaded Jello. Plus I have to get in 60 grams of Protein a day! I have had the hunger pains...some so painful I cried. My saving grace is my protein shake! Dry protein mixed with skim milk!! or if you can't do dry mix...try Light Muscle Milk. Of course ask your Doc if this is allowed first as apparently all doctors prescribe a different plan to folllow after surgery. We will overcome!!!! We will overcome!!! Many blessings to you!

I didnt know it was going to be like this .. honestly. I jumped through every hoop my Dr's put in front of me. I had an EKG, a stress test a sleep study, blood drawn a chest xray... I even STOPPED SMOKING. I was ready for my life to begin..

I sit here 7 days after the surgery and i cant even tell if im hungry or not .. I honestly dont know if what I am feeling is hunger pains or just general low grade pain.

Also I dont get Soups being included on the diet plan for the first two weeks .... doesnt it slip right through ?!? i am so confused.

I have also decided that I despise Jello .. omg I hate this substance now more than i ever have anything else in my life.

Also is it normal that 7 days post op I have only lost 2 pounds ??

Sorry everyone I know it sounds like I am complaining but I am kind of sad right now :Banane20:

Hey there. I think we can all relate to what you're saying. First, congrats on quitting smoking! That's no easy feat (and I speak from experience).

Also, you are supposed to be on things that will slide right through as your stomach needs to heal. I am right there with you---I despise Jello. I will figure ANY way around it after I have my fills. Ugh.

As far as the weight loss, your body has been through a tremendous amount of trauma. It needs to heal, the fluids are an issue because you were on ivs from the surgery, so that sometimes doesn't help with weight. My doctor told me he doesn't even look at weight loss until 6 weeks post-op, that this initial time is the time for healing and anything we lose during that time is a great bonus (yeah, I wanted to slap him too at the time :thumbup:). I know most of us had a million things on the checklist, jumping through hoops getting insurance approval and doing everything we have to and thinking "as soon as I get my surgery it will all be different". That is the one thing I think the docs and nuts need to reinforce with patience and telling them how hard it will be in the first couple of weeks so you're able to mentally prepare somewhat. It's a difficult time--your body has been through the ringer, you are starving, mourning the loss of one of your best friends and wondering if you did the right thing.

I can honestly say that I was in your shoes 8 months ago and looking back, knowing how hard it was, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have gotten so much from this band I can't imagine being without it.

You'll get there....and you have all of us pulling for you to lean on as you continue your journey!!!

Hang in there!

Congrats to stop smoking! I am 5 days post op and struggling also. I hate broth, cream of wheat and Soup. I'm living off of a Protein Shake in the morning, sugar free popsicles, skim milk, sugar free juices, Water and Jello. I'm about tired of jello also. Most of the time I'm not hungry. I have severe pain on my left side that makes me cry at times and hard to walk. I'm not worried about losing weight right now, I'm ready for this pain to stop. Hang in there, I'm trying for my health. The pain is so severe at times, I think about coughing up the money to have the band removed. But, I'm not giving up that easy. I've been through 2 other surgerys that required me to be off work for 8 weeks and the pain was not as bad as this one.

Hang in there, we can weather the storm. :thumbup:

I am 3 days post op and I am feeling frustrated too! I am soo starving and cannot stand the thought of liquids!!! I am so sick of Jello and propel. I did eat/drink a milkshake today and it was delicious. Although I must say I was only able to get half down. I am looking for suggestions on liquids too if anyone has some. Best of luck to you and hang in there, remember the pay off is in the long run...

It will get better- hang in there! I'm 11 days post-op and the past couple of days have really been much better. I remember Day 7. It was rough. Looking at the other posts, it's clear that different docs prescribe different diets. I'm on full liquids for 2 weeks (1 week to go) and then soft diet with ground meats, etc. I can't wait for something to eat!!!! Father's Day was a little tough what with BB!Q ribs and fixings all around me- but I was glad because before surgery, even if I were on a diet I'd have said "I'll make an exception today!" and gorge.

But, it was kind of neat to realize that I couldn't even if I wanted to. (what would my doc say if I went to the ER with rib meat stuck in my stomach???) Knowing that I physically could not eat it was actually reassuring to me.

Hang in there. Your outlook will change a little bit each day. Go to bed early if you just get tired of thinking about it. That's what I did a couple of times. You'll be surprised how fast the time will pass. Good luck!

Hi there! We're in the same boat! I was banded 6/17 and I know what you mean about the liquid diet. Last night was the first night that I haven't woken up at 4AM completely starving with severe hunger pains. I'm on what is called full liquids for 5 weeks, meaning in addition to Jello, broth, pudding and popsicles, I can also have coffee (decaf), tea, oatmeal, and of course my Protein Drinks. What I normally do is have oatmeal in the AM, then I mix Jillian Michaels whey Protein mix with skim milk and sip on that. It's about 26 g of protein per scoop. I also have that at night before bed. Or, there are many premixed Protein Shakes. I like Lite chocolate Muscle Milk. I have a friend who likes the Adkins shakes. Good luck, good health and a speedy recovery.