Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got banned on June 15th and I really wonder if I did the right thing. I'm sick of hurting,not eating, and wonder if this is going to be worth it in the long run. I would of thought that I would of at least lost more the the loney 1lb that I have lost by now. It's been 5 days and it's got old real fast. Just wanted to vent, Lori :smile2:

You are 5 days post-op! This surgery is about long-term weight loss. Not losses right after surgery.

They pack you full of IV fluids during your stay. That takes time to work out of your system. This is the time for healing, not hopping on the scale.

Now is not the time to judge your decision. You hurt, you can't eat, you are miserable.

It won't be until you've had some fills and have proper restriction that you can fully appreciate your band. Then when the weight comes off and your appetite is under control, you'll know it was worth it.

BTW--venting is totally allowed here, and I had similar feelings after my surgery. I remember asking why I wasn't losing as fast as I thought I should.

But here I am, 72 lbs gone and 5 until goal, or maybe at goal. Haven't decided if I am happy where I am at or if I want to bust my booty for those 5 lbs.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

I got banned on June 15th and I really wonder if I did the right thing. I'm sick of hurting,not eating, and wonder if this is going to be worth it in the long run. I would of thought that I would of at least lost more the the loney 1lb that I have lost by now. It's been 5 days and it's got old real fast. Just wanted to vent, Lori :smile2:

Hi....Just passed you post and wanted to tell you that what you did will change your life. The weight doesn't come off overnight but when it does it stays off. Lap band is not a free ride but it makes it a lot easer. Also remember that you have several fills to go before you get the full effect of the lap band. Soon you will eat 3/4 of a cup of food and feel stuffed. I did this 4 years ago and lost 100lbs. It was not easy but i feel fantastic. Hang in there......

Please hang in there swirl. I was banded on the same day its not as easy as people seem to think. Just give this time and we will do great. Im sure when we start to feel better things will be better and weight will go. Hang in there.

Please don't give up on the band...it is a lifestyle change that will not happen over night, and everyone is different, so don't try to compare yourself to others when it comes to how fast you lose weight.

It is not always easy, but, as with alot of things, it will be worth it.

Hang in there, relax and let your body heal from the surgery. Give it a chance to help you.

Let us know how you are doing, and you can vent on here as often as you like...we are here for each other.

good luck! Joanie :smile2:)

Thank you for the kind words. I would think that with not taking in more food more then I am the weight would be coming off. But from what is said here you don't really lose until you get your first fill???? When did y'all first start to see the weight come off? Thanks!!!

When I got out of surgery, the first thing my husband said was "You just got banded. How come you haven't lost any weight?" Yes, we tease each other because we think that posters who worry about not having lost weight since being banded one, two or three weeks ago are being, how shall I put this, block-headed (or at the very least were not informed). I know you hurt. I was banded June 15th. I want to eat real food not liquids or mushies. I'm still getting rid of my gas. I can feel the damned port and it makes it difficult to sleep. I too question sometimes (usually when tired and sore) if this was the right answer. Believe me. It will get better. You just had surgery. HEAL FIRST! Weight loss, later.

It's really hard at first, isn't it? There's really no way to prepare for the discomforts, and especially no way to prepare for the mood swings caused by anesthesia, pain meds, the trauma of surgery, and hormonal swings that accompany the surgery (and weight loss itself).

Throw in pain, hunger, and what really can be described as grief for our old lifestyle ('cause once that band is on, it really hits home that that's a thing of the past)---it's REALLY quite a blow.

ALL of this passes. I promise. Each day, you will feel better physically. Each day, you will learn new strategies to cope with the changes required by the band.

As you approach restriction and your new way of eating becomes second nature, it really becomes so, so worth it.

But until then, know that you're not alone. We've all been there. And most of us do conclude, pretty fast, that we made the right choice.

I'm betting you'll be among us soon.

I had never had surgery prior to being banded. I was not at all prepared for the pain. I couldn't move very fast or sleep in my bed. I had to sleep in the recliner for about a week. i took the pain meds every four hours around the clock. Besides gas they also infuse fluids before, during and after surgery so please take that into account. You should try not to weigh yourself everyday... not that I follow this advice myself. LOL. Hang in there. It will be worth it.

Thank y'all again for the kind words. They really do bring comfort when I need it most.:smile2:

I was banded June 15 too. :smile2:

I'm glad my scale broke the week before I got banded, as I haven't been able to even be tempted to peek yet.

I think the mood swings are part of the whole thing that we don't read about as much beforehand. I expected some soreness and gas pains, but the gas pains have been worse than I thought. I definitely have had to have pep talks with myself and remind myself that I feel better today than I did yesterday, and better then than the day before that, as I've caught myself in some downward mood spirals that I really didn't anticipate.

I'm sure that things will continue to get easier and better the farther out we get from surgery, and I know that the pounds will come off down the line as we work on things day to day. :)

The first few days were BAD for me too. It's not fast weight loss, it's slow but it's long term. I got the band to loose yes but I see it as more of a tool to maintain. I have lost before but have always gained it back. Now with my band I know I will never gain it back!!

It's really hard at first, isn't it? There's really no way to prepare for the discomforts, and especially no way to prepare for the mood swings caused by anesthesia, pain meds, the trauma of surgery, and hormonal swings that accompany the surgery (and weight loss itself).

Throw in pain, hunger, and what really can be described as grief for our old lifestyle ('cause once that band is on, it really hits home that that's a thing of the past)---it's REALLY quite a blow.

ALL of this passes. I promise. Each day, you will feel better physically. Each day, you will learn new strategies to cope with the changes required by the band.

As you approach restriction and your new way of eating becomes second nature, it really becomes so, so worth it.

But until then, know that you're not alone. We've all been there. And most of us do conclude, pretty fast, that we made the right choice.

I'm betting you'll be among us soon.

Betsy B... your words never ring truer.. they are eloquently spoken and always from the heart. I always enjoy reading your posts!

I was banded on the 14th of June! woo hoo!!! and the recovery has been a little harder than anticipated... but not unexpected. I'm a nurse and knew what to expect. What I've never observed, is getting over surgery AND trying to not get dehydrated AND trying to get the much needed nutrition in. We have triple whammies here.. our bodies, when we have surgery, have a true physical assault and it sort of shuts down a little.. it holds onto what it thinks it needs to heal etc. Then, add the trials of trying to sip our way into getting 64 oz of fluids in.. most of us don't the first few days..and the third is the Protein and nutrition that most of us can only get in half on in the first few days. So our bodies try and hold onto even more liquids. Is it any wonder we do not lose weight the first few weeks when our body is put into survival mode?

Hang in there... I was told not to expect much until I get some restriction in a few months.... Best of luck to you!