Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck for the 1st Time...Pork Chops are NOT my friend!

It's been over 4 months since my surgery. I've had 3 fills so far, and this is the first time I've actually been STUCK. I've read all the posts about sliming, pb'ing, etc., but I never understood the physical pain involved until now.

I did everything right (or at least I think I did)...I took teeny-tiny bites, I chewed, and chewed, and chewed, then chewed some more. I can't imagine how on earth I got stuck with all the dang chewing I did! Stupid pork chop!! Guess I can cross those off my list of foods I can eat.

This hurts....really bad. Had to get up and run away from the table. Barely made it to the bathroom before I started wretching. I can't imagine that there's anything left in me at this point, so why does it still hurt? When will it go away??

Hey! I'm a year post-op and pork is still an issue for me. Its just tough and doesnt break down well and usually not too moist. I can do deep pit shredded pork great. But ya, pork is hit and miss for me.

Congratulations Amy! You are officially a real bandster now. :smile2:

I read all about it for months and couldn't wait to get stuck and slime just to see what all of the commotion was about.

It only took my 4 weeks after surgery to manage it, pre-fill and in public.

The pain will subside fairly quickly but linger if you try and eat solid food immediately. If you are going to eat again before bed, I suggest some yogurt or a Protein shake.

If you are going to eat again before bed, I suggest some yogurt or a Protein shake.

Haha...thanks, but I don't think I'm going to eat again...ever. lol...:smile2:

Horrible feeling isn't it.Especially the first time - it feels like you're having a heart attack.

Being stuck though can be compared to falling off a horse. They always say that the best thing to do is get straight back on. I'm not saying you should go and eat another pork chop but I don't think you should cross pork off your list for ever.Next time try a different cut or pork cooked in a different way e.g slow cooked.

If you cross a food off your list every time it gets stuck or makes you PB you will soon find there is nothing left that you can eat! Even my favourite Breakfast food (egg on toast)that I eat practically every day has got stuck on occassion. Sometimes the band is fickle!

Thanks el...but it'll probably take me a while to muster up the courage to try that again! : )

PS...I have to confess: I always read your posts with my best Austrailian accent! Can't help it! Especially with words like "fickle"! Is that odd?? LOL! :smile2:

yep, it's official now. Welcome!

I can not eat those real solid meats either..... bummer. After something like that happens to me I just take it slow for the next day or so ...... yogurt and stuff like that.

Try pork cutlets - they are pre-tenderized for you and easy to chew - I have never gotten stuck eating cutlets.

I read all about it for months and couldn't wait to get stuck and slime just to see what all of the commotion was about.

It only took my 4 weeks after surgery to manage it, pre-fill and in public.

The pain will subside fairly quickly but linger if you try and eat solid food immediately. If you are going to eat again before bed, I suggest some yogurt or a Protein shake.

Four months and I haven't been stuck yet. Well I kinda got stuck on Water once. I drank too fast and it lingered and it hurted but it passed in another gulp down my throat. I don't wanna experience it.

Just wanted to say, I went through the photos and man, you look great btrieger.

PS...I have to confess: I always read your posts with my best Austrailian accent! Can't help it! Especially with words like "fickle"! Is that odd?? LOL! :smile2:

Not odd but it's quite funny as I don't really have an aussie accent.I lived in the UK until I was 13, then South Africa for 2 years, back to Wales for 3 and then back to South Africa until 9 years ago when I moved here.So I have a really confused accent which a lot of people find hard to pick. Some pick English, some South African and some just have no idea.

I certainly don't sound like your average aussie!

Not odd but it's quite funny as I don't really have an aussie accent.I lived in the UK until I was 13, then South Africa for 2 years, back to Wales for 3 and then back to South Africa until 9 years ago when I moved here.So I have a really confused accent which a lot of people find hard to pick. Some pick English, some South African and some just have no idea.

I certainly don't sound like your average aussie!

Ha! Well, I'll bet I'm in the clear then...as my Austrailian accent is quite confusing itself! :smile2:

Pork is tricky. Its very much like red meat for me. Hard to know when its gonna go down well and when its not. If you do want to try pork again, I'd recommend roasting a whole pork tenderloin. Also, pork tends to be something people overcook because in our grandparents' day you could get really sick from undercooked pork. I forget what it was (trichonosis?). I'm sure I have that wrong. Anyway, I can't remember the temp you need to cook it to now, but its lower than it used to be. I recommend finding the lowest temp you can cook it to by searching online and then using a meat thermometer. I don't know if you've tried steak yet, but I recommend filet mignon. It costs more, but you're not eating much anyway.

The reason pork used to have to be overcooked was because of the risk of catching worms. I believe there used to be a high proportion of eggs in pork and they are only killed when thouroughly cooked.

I also believe(but could be wrong) that this was part of the reason that pork was considered unclean and why jews and Muslims don't eat it.

I find all meat tricky especially chicken and pork. I use minced meat in all my cassaroles now, just press it into a ball and pop in with the normal meat. Same taste but already chewed for you so to speak. If not then I just have the sauce and veg, just as yum but much less calories too.:smile2:

Jo

Elcee and adagray, you are both right on the uncooked pork thing. Trichinosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I had to hear the word "trichinosis" every time my mother burned pork chops into oblivion. They had the consistency of treated lumber and no amount of applesauce couple reconstitute them.