Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Meal Of A Lifetime

I was banded nearly a year ago and have felt wonderful with all of the changes that have happened. I am down about 73 pounds and have adopted many of the lifestyle changes I needed to to make this work.

One of the things I had to think about before I got the band was my love of fine New York restaurants. How did I feel about never having one of those spectacular meals that lasts 3 hours, costs way too much money and made you feel like you would never eat again? Sad, i thought. This was the way we always marked our anniversary or my birthday. But I was determined to make a change and giving up these kinds of meals would just be part of the bargain. Just before starting the liquid diet last year we went to our favorite place in NY called Bouley. It was spectacular and overwhelming. I said bye bye to that kind of eating and moved on.

Last night, nearly one year out, we returned to Bouley. It is our 15th anniversary and we wanted to see how it would go. Everyone at the table ordered the tasting menu except me. I chose 3 appetizers knowing I would also have a taste of the food my friends were enjoying.

What can I say but that I am very proud of myself. I chose small portions of food that I knew I would not have to worry would cause a problem in the band. Sea Urchin, foie gras and a poached egg dish were my 3 courses and each one was better than the previous one. But more importantly it showed that I did not have to give everything up in order to live with the band successfully. Let me tell you, i did not get so overweight by eating at fancy New York restaurants 3 times a year. It was all the junk I ate each and every day.

Well that stuff is gone and I now know that I can enjoy myself like this a few times a year without fear that I will over do it it. The scale says I am up a half a pound this morning. So what! I gained the knowledge that my life can have these special moments, just like everyone else, if I am careful during those not so special days. This dinner was a gift I can give myself twice a year without fear.

Thank you so much for that post! I'm about 5 months post-op and a foodie. I'm learning that I can enjoy DELICIOUS meals out and still be on track. Like you, my issues were day-to-day...day-after-day bad choices.

Glad to hear you had such a good time!

That is the way "thin people" eat, they may overdo it at one meal and be up a pound, but then they return to their reg. eating. They don't go off the deep end or use it as an excuse to keep eating. Congratulations on entering the "real world."

That is great! I love those long meals too and thought I wouldn't be able to do those again. Ordering the appetizers is a great idea. It is nice to know I won't have to totally give up those things.

Mary

Thanks for all of your responses. Let me just say that I waited a year to do this partly out of fear that I would get sick at the meal and partly because I didn't know if I could have the control to choose the right things and then not to try to have the same meal the next day. No problems on both accounts. Best of luck with your eating.

I could relate to this I am a foodie who lives in a restaurant town! I also love dinner parties. I am glad to see this has worked for you.

I did something similar at Babbo recently. It's not the same, but it's still a big treat. I hadn't understood that a meal could be great without being totally insanely over the top. I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal. I'm salivating at your choices. I bet the tasting menu wasn't too shabby either though!