Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We Need a spell checker for this forum

Removed due to redundancy

Could have said over redundnacy, but that would have been redundant

Hal :)

The entire thread is redundant. There are several just like it. Like this: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/spelling-error-108537/

Edited by Humming Bird

I check papers all day long for spelling mistakes. I am really not into bugging other adults about their spelling. I am here to help in other ways......providing support and advice. :)

Their r ltz of words which get mispelt on this cyte. however does it reely mater?It is a weight loss support site not an english grandma site!

Most of the time I know how to spell but I can't type as fast as I think which leads to errors.Sometimes I fix them sometimes I can't be bovvered! A spell check would make no difference.

And lets face it this is an American website so most of you can't spell anyway(hell now I'm deep in S...T)! LOL

The error that always annoys me most is sliming. slim + ing is something that I want to be doing, that's why i got the band. I think what most people mean is slime + ing slimeing.

Now a tool that could put text into paragraphs would be really useful. there is nothing more offputting than reading a post that is written as one long paragraph. Most of the time i get bored and give up.

:)...........

Well, let me refer to the Queen's English.

It is colour, not color. Neighbour, not neighbor. Grey, not gray. And gaol, not jail (although we spell it jail here too).

I love this post!!!

I hate lazy spelling. There, their, they're. Than and then. I cringe when I see things like "definately" and "tomarrow". Affect or effect. There are a hundred examples!

ALSO- I and Me and Myself. Don't say "my husband and myself went to dinner"... it's my husband and I. And you don't use "I" every time it's you and someone else... don't you remember the rule... from 4th grade... break the sentence up: "The dog belongs to my brother and I"... NO... My brother and me. Would you say "The dog belongs to I"? No... you would say "me". "My mom and I love to see George Clooney movies". YES. "I love to see George Clooney movies."

It's not hard. Our 5th grader is horrible with this stuff and I drive her nuts but I do not want her sounding like an idiot for the rest of her life.

I can't beleave anyone would really take the time to care, It's a weightloss forum not English 101.

You're gonna have problems in this forum.........just respect self expression and leave your teaching credentials at the door.........You'll learn alot of important and helpful tips here.

I am at a lose - loose for words.

Hal

Sorry, Hal, but I believe you are at a LOSS for words (but then maybe you were being ironic?). =) The problem with using "loose" for "lose" and "your" for "you're" is that it trips the reader up for just a little bit--the reader has to make a quick double-back and reread to get your meaning correct. But as others have said, this forum is such a great place to get information, support, and encouragement, that a few mistakes in grammar and/or spelling are not really such a big deal. Thnx 2 evry1 4 riting & sharing! :)

I hate to say it, Hal, but you're probably the 4,684,345th person to note this.

It isn't going to change.

Elcee, "sliming" is correct.

I was looking for the last thread like this one earlier after I saw the word "challange" in 3 separate posts.

Good Afternoon everyone:

It's really amazing how this thing has elicited so much reaction. When I made the posting it was 75% whimsey and 25% serious. Of course I know that this is a support forum etc. I don't understand why some get their knickers in such a twist.

I will leave this up for the rest of the day then I going to delete it.

Regards

Hal

Funny post..I hate this exact thing but I know I constantly make typos...kinda like Hal's

"I will leave this up for the rest of the day then I going to delete it."

Should have been "I'm going to delete it"

I get mad at myself for doing that kind of thing :devil_smile: I read back over my post and think dang it!! I know we all read enough on here to be able to read through typos.

The bad spelling doesn't bother me. I'm sure I'm guilty of bad spelling.

For some reason the use of the word prolly is getting on my nerves. It isn't a word. Many use it in place of the word probably.

Haha...I think this is funny thread and I picked up on the whimsey from the beginning, Hal :) I often pick up spelling and grammer (uh, did I spell that right?) errors when reading articles...even books sometimes! I am actually a good editor. My mind works faster than my fingers and I'm too lazy to correct sometimes in a forum where lots of folks make mistakes :thumbup: Having said that, "I want to loose weight is becomming my new pet peave! My former pet peave is when people use irregardless as a word!

irregardless isn't a word ???? .... hmmm ....ya learn sompin' new every day! I never use it because I think I may spell it wrong :)

Hey, At least irregardless is in The American Heritage Dictionary. The word prolly is not.

Edited by Humming Bird