Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so sick of Nay sayers

I haven't told many people at all that I am going for the band, only a few close family and friends. I just love how everyone, especially the skinny people know absolutely everything about the lap band, and oh by the way any information I have obtained is 100% wrong, and misleading! LOL I spoke to one friend tonight that told me by pass and the lap band are the same thing, and that the lap band is not out patient surgery, and that I would be out of work for minimum of 4 months. My friend got this information from his wife who is nurse, so nothing I said mattered or was valid. My buddies wife also told him that she knows a lot of people who have had WLS and they all say they would NEVER do it again. I tried to explain to my buddy that I have done a lot of research and that he may not like it but either he misunderstood what his wife told him, or she was just flat out wrong. I went on to explain that out of the 10 or more people I have met in person who have had WLS only one of them said she felt is was trading one problem for another. The one person I know that was unsure if she would do it again had band surgery 15+ years ago when it wasn't even called a band, she has what she calls a ring around her stomach with no fill port. I'm not sure why so many of my family and friends are so against this? My one closest friend seems understand, and to my surprise has had nothing negitive to say at all, which is amazing is you knew him.

I know this question has been on here before, but just for reassurance reasons.

If you were in the same set of circumstances you were in when you got the band the first time, would you get the band again?

I am only asking this question so I can go back and tell the nay Sayers that amount of people responded, and X amount said they would, and X said they would not do it again.

Thanks

Edited by Warrior68

I am only one week post op but I know that I would do it again. I know that EVENTUALLY we will get to eat small portions of delicious food! I have one more week of my full liquid diet. I think of what the alternative is. I would be doing ANOTHER diet and being super strict and then eating anything and everything. I think about my daughter not having to take care of an obese mom. I think of the health problems I will not have down the road. I think of this being a gurantee, if I do my part, then I will not get bigger and bigger as time goes on but will lose this weight. This is not easy at all, especially when for a moment you wish you could give in to your old habits, BUT then I think of the way I felt when I did indulge. I felt hopeless. I felt ashamed. This road is not an easy one but it is one of HOPE. When I told my EX about this, I said I am not looking for suggestions or opinions but wanted to tellyou. If only we could be that forward with everyone :unsure: Good luck!

Count me as a YES!! :unsure: You bet I'd do it again!!! 3 months post-op and I'm already feeling 100% better then I did 6months ago! :thumbup: This isn't "THE EASY WAY OUT", it's dedication and commitment! Hell...when is surgery EVER the easy way:glare:.

Edited by Carosel2002

I would do it again hands down!!!!

I had my surgery 11/23/09 and I feel so much better. My re-covery was a breeze. I had surgey on Tuesday morning came home Wednesday, Thanksgiving was Thursday.... I actually went shopping on Black Friday ( I only went to 2 stores and then went back to bed) but I really felt good and walking even if it was at a slow pace felt good to me. I went back to work the Monday following Thanksgiving and I can count the people who even knew that I had surgey. ( I am fortunate to have a sit down job) I got a lot of negative comments when I began researching the Band. I got opinions from people who had WLS that felt why am I doing the band because it takes to long to loose weight and that I should do the Rou instead so I stop telling people because my mind was made up.

If you have a hand full of people that are supporting you that is all you need. The negative people will be there but this is a journey that you have decided to do and negative energy is not something you need. Good Luck

Edited by MedsMommy

Yes, I would do it all over again, but I'm only 6 months out. I just listen patiently to those who "know it all" and do it the way my doctor recommends and it seems to be working. Everyone in my family was against me having this surgery. Now my daughter is banded too and is losing faster than me (she's younger). So, definitely yes, yes, yes!!! Best wishes

I go in Friday, and I too have had lots of nay sayers especially the past week. BUT I refuse to let them get to me... Like you and almost everyone who has or is doing the band, WE have done our research and made educated decisions about the "journey" we are taking on. Obviously if you are a part of this forum, then u have invested the time and resources to make U successful! Unless they have a MD behind them, then they cannot say anything. People are afraid of change and U changing can make them uncomfortable.. I go in Friday and I am super excited about the journey and I wish you all the best of luck! Turn a def ear to the nay sayers and SHOW them how successful you can be! I look at their remarks as fuel for my fire! BEST OF LUCK!!

*Sorry for the ranting, I am venting after having this same issue...:unsure:

I too have had a lot of negative responses to this surgery. Only really close people like my b/f, my mother really know. My boss also knows but she is more accepting for the fact because she has had the gastric bypass. I share a office with two other older women. Many times we have had conversations about our weight etc and they have both commented on the fact that they think this is a horrible surgery and do not know why people would do it. Oh and neither of them know I am having the surgery. I want people to know but I know I will just get negative attitudes about it. So I guess it is my little secret for now..

I am a total yes to the surgery...I'm 3 months out and down 55 lbs as of today (I have 2.4cc's) I do fuss a little because before I never had any issues with Vitamin deficiencies or had to take any kind of meds...unfortunately my B1 and Vitamin D levels are low, so I take a mixture of Vitamins, Calcium chew and Omega 3 every day, on top of B1, B12 and Vitamin D once a week. To me that is a small price to pay. My energy levels (and sex drive hehe) have increased. As a matter of fact I just ran at 5.6 mph today at the gym. I do have to be extra careful...because I was extra sensitive during a stomach bug and sinus infection I had these past few months. I still have a long way to go but the only con that I've had is that my period is VERY sporadic.

Count me as a yes.

I didnt tell many people just because of that reason. I am a nurse so I get to hear all kinda of interesting "ideas'' from people that think they know what the band is or every wls for that matter. A co-worker recently got gastric bypass, omg you would think she was going to kill her self the comments everyone was making. People just dont understand what either surgery has to deal with. it is a life changing surgery but not a death sentence to never eat food again. Only the 2 people know at work that I told. and this is a 1 1/2 yr later, everyone just thinks i eat smaller healthier meals.

You are doing the right thing, RESEARCH for yourself. I had my surgery on a tuesday and back to work friday. Tired but 4 months not even close.

Good luck with your journey!!!!

I had surgery on a Tuesday and went to work that Thursday. I cant begin to describe how happy I am that I got the band.

By the way, I tell everyone and I have only had 2 negative reactions.

One person tried to talk me out of having the surgery, she was banded and had gained weight. But I knew her eating habits so I ignored her. Well guess what, after I was banded and started having success she started living the band life and now she has lost most of her weight as well, 3 years after her band was placed.

One other person has been judgmental about it and she is no longer in my life. Good riddance.

The majority of the people I know are so excited for me, they want updates and encourage me a lot.

I told very few people about my band pre-op. I wasn't trying to keep a secret. I just didn't want to hear their uninformed opinions when I was sure about my decision. Since banding, I've told many people and it is amazing how you don't hear the negativity when you've lost significant poundage.

In case you wondering, of course I would do this again in a heartbeat. If I had a problem with my band, I would even get it replaced. I believe I really needed a surgical intervention and I am truly scared of surgery that involves a non-reversible change to my internal organs. I know it works for many people, it's just not for me.

Good luck with your surgery. You won't have to deal with the nay sayers once you are successful.

Cindy

Count me as a "would do it over again in a heart beat". I cant tell its even there, except when i eat to fast, or dont chew enough, then it definitely lets me know its there.

So glad you guys commented on this thread - I go in July 6th - I am scared enough as it is without all of my asshole friends telling me all of this misinformation. People have gone so far to say I will die from this. My Aunt told me that I would have to have medication to kill my immune system because my body would continually be trying to reject the band - (stupid) I really want this to work and am so nervous, But I am doing it - I am done with this extra weight.

The funny thing is most people who are negative are the ones who have dieted/gained/dieted/gained and are now overweight. I had a friend saying a few years ago "it's the lazy way to lose weight" she was fat. She lost some weight on Atkins. Well a year later she gained it back and more. The friend with lap band has kept it off.

Seems it is almost always overweight people with the negative comments. Or the skinnies who starve themselves.