Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Question for Band Veterans

Good Afternoon All;

I have read many places that the band - as a tool - will help you reach a 60% reduction of the excess weight.

My Question is why 60%? What prevents a continual lose til we reach "Ideal" weight.?

I thought we would stay at restriction until we approached "goal weight" and then would have slight unfills to reach a "Maintainence level of restriction".

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance

Hal

I will be interested to see what others say to this as well. I'm not a veteran at this point.

As for me personally, I have already lost 95 lbs. (84%). That is way more than 60%. If I'm doing my math correct 60% would be only a loss of 68.4 lbs.

To this point the band has done around 80% ..... I have not worked that hard at it.

Things have slowed a bit and I think they will be slow enough at goal to just maintain without any unfills.

Edited by Humming Bird

I was told I could expect to loose 60% of excess weight. That was never enough for me. I have lost about 80% and haven't looked back. I believe the band will be key in me being able to keep it off for good this time. As far as unfills for maintaince, I guess some people need them and some people don't. Of course, it will be important to be able to eat enough to maintain your goal weight.

In the pre-op education class, they told us that you could expect around 60% excess weightloss w/the band if you don't exercise regularly. In their practice, every band patient who has achieved 100% excess weightloss exercises regularly (4+ times per week). Do you think they were trying to motivate us to exercise??? LOL

I believe it, though. But, I also think other factors play in. I think we all have our cheats or rules we don't follow well from the beginning. Its what we decide to do when we plateau that will separate those who stop at 60% w/those who will go ALL THE WAY!

I always figured the 60% average wieght loss was just that - an average. That means those who don't follow the rules and lose only a small amount, those who give up and have the band removed, etc are also counted in the figure. There are certainly many people on this forum who lose more than 60% and many 100%+.

I just decided I would be one of those who does the 100%!

I think they are just going on the average loss in the combined bandsters. You have to remember that will also include the ones that don't follow the rules and that alone will bring the percentage down. I am 3 lbs from my goal and have already lost what is to be considered my excess weight and although I follow the eating rules 99% of the time unfortunately I'm not that great on the exercise but I am a busy person so I don't spend alot of time just sitting on the couch so I think that helps. I really think you will get out of the band what you are willing to put into it. Everyone is different

I see a lot of people on this forum who have lost their whole amount or who have lost at least 100 lbs. It could be that staying on the forums and in touch with others keeps motivation high. Weight Watchers claims that those who go to meetings do far better than those who just follow the program or a similar diet on their own. It could be the same sort of thing.

Well, I lost 120% of my excess weight - 100% will only take you to the top of the healthy BMI range.

The 60% figure is only a statistical average. People get banded, some are compliant, some are not, some get sick with complications and lose their bands, some go on to have further surgeries because the band wasnt a great choice with them, some people exercise, some dont, some people become obese purely through lifestyle habits that can be changed, some are fighting much more challenging health conditions, some have real mental dependence on food. All those things combine to mean some people lose lots of weight easily, some struggle, some lose it all, some dont and it all boils down to an average of 60% of weight lost.

The main factor determining how much you lose is YOU.

It is because they have to work on averages. Some people lose all their excess weight or more, others don't stick to the "rules" and either don't lose as much or may even put on. Yes it is possible to put on weight with a band especially if you are too tight as the you end up eating high calorie sliders.

So long as you are committed to the process and follow your Dr's instructions there is no reason why you shouldn't lose all your excess weight.

Good Afternoon All;

I thought we would stay at restriction until we approached "goal weight" and then would have slight unfills to reach a "Maintainence level of restriction".

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance

Hal

What about this part? Hal and I want to know (wink)

Edited by Humming Bird

It would be interesting to see a statistic of people who do participate in this forum (or some other support group) vs people who do not. I believe, as a PP stated, that the people on this forum are more likely to be successful because of the support given. Best wishes!

It would be interesting to see a statistic of people who do participate in this forum (or some other support group) vs people who do not. I believe, as a PP stated, that the people on this forum are more likely to be successful because of the support given. Best wishes!

Just like one big warm fuzzy happy family ! :(

Just like one big warm fuzzy happy family ! :(

Exactly!!! except we're the successful ones!

I've barely exercised on my band journey :(, but just today I reached the top of my healthy BMI range. I did start my very physically active job in February which definitely helped me lose the last 50 lbs. or so, but I've exceeded the 60% figure with little effort and no plateaus. I do hope to begin running as soon as I can get a good pair of shoes, which should help me drop more weight (looking to 130 or 135 now). I don't plan on letting myself get under 130 without going for an unfill, though. The closer I get to the new goal, the more likely it seems I'll need less restriction to maintain.

Well, I lost 120% of my excess weight - 100% will only take you to the top of the healthy BMI range.

The 60% figure is only a statistical average. People get banded, some are compliant, some are not, some get sick with complications and lose their bands, some go on to have further surgeries because the band wasnt a great choice with them, some people exercise, some dont, some people become obese purely through lifestyle habits that can be changed, some are fighting much more challenging health conditions, some have real mental dependence on food. All those things combine to mean some people lose lots of weight easily, some struggle, some lose it all, some dont and it all boils down to an average of 60% of weight lost.

The main factor determining how much you lose is YOU.

Well said!!!!