Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slippage Surgery

I just got out of the hospital yesterday after my "band slippage surgery". It was a piece of cake (nice choice of words). It really was so much easier than the orginal surgery. I just want to encourage anyone who is thinking they would rather not go thru it again ...... Stop....Do it if it needs to be done.:(

How did you know u slipped? Please tell cause im super curious about this,

About 4 months ago I did get some food stuck and had to throw up to get rid of it. Ever since then I had terrible acid reflux and some nausea. We kept taking Fluid out of the band thinking it was too tight but I just would return a couple of weeks later complaining again. Finally an upper GI told the whole story. I encourage you to ask your Doc for some type of GI xray to prove it has not moved. I suffered too long. We know our bands and we know when something is not right.

Thanks for the info. That scares me because back in Nov I started having MASSIVE acid reflux. They started doing the same thing by saying im too tight and taking fill out. I knew I wasnt too tight but trusted them. The heartburn didnt go away and I didnt wanna go to the dr and have them take more out cause I already was feeling like I was super loose now that they had taken some out. So i lived with the heartburn until Jan. Finally I went back in and they ordered an upper GI to check for slippage and it came back perfect. I still have MASSIVE heartburn but now I take Prevacid OC daily and its gone, but if I forget to take it one day, OH MAN it comes back. Ive just come to the conclusion that my body isnt keeping the acid down by itself. Im never nausiated so Im guessing im ok. I dunno. I see myself being able to eat more but not get sick. I would think I would know if I had slipped right?

If you are still loosing weight then trust that you are ok, but if you feel you can't control your food then ask to tighten. Maybe you have a slight hiatal hernia which happens with acid reflux. I understand with the band we are prone to acid reflux but if it comes on suddenly then something is not right. Trust your body. You are the best judge if something is not good.

I was having serious acid reflux so bad I had to sleep sitting up and still chocked each night) so I had developed another bleeding ucler so when to get band checked. Good news no slip but close had a big bulge and if I had waited any longer it would have slipped. They unfilled me completely and now I sleep great. I go back in 30 days for a fill and start the process all over again. Culprit - thought a little Sprite would be ok, NOT. Follow the rules and stay away from carbonated drinks. By the way, haven't lost hardly any weight while this problem was going on.

I'm a little concerned about my band having slipped. I've been complaining to my doctor for FIVE MONTHS now that I've been throwing up a lot, and now it's to the point where I dread eating because there's about an 80% chance that I'm going to throw up. Doesn't matter what, when or how slowly I eat, it's still no good, and it's getting worse. Plus my stomach hurts most of the time. I'm not stuck because I'm not feeling that stuck pain feeling... just ill.