Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finished the 2 day stress test= ischemia, but it's an "all go" for Monday the 26th!!! I'm so excited,scared and have gone through financial hell to get here..My problem is my chronic lower back pain!! I can't take pain meds other than Extra strength Tylenol and thats worthless.

That is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was given pain meds after I had the surgery. Perhaps you will get some also, and they will help with your back pain.

That is an excellent date to have surgery on, my youngest was born on that date.

You are now on the count down. Please keep us posted. I am 8 days post op.

Best

Gwendolyn Smythe

Thanks Gwendolyn and happy b-day to your youngest on Monday!! I love reading these posts because you guys on the "other side" give such great advice. I never thought of the gasX or poss gas pain in shoulder and neck. Now I have a better idea on what to expect, so if I do experience these things, it won't throw me for a loop. The more I read, the more prepared and positive I feel! :biggrin:

YES! After jumping through hoops for 7 months, the deed was finally done Tuesday, July 20 and I have just been through the worst 3 days of my life, pain-wise. Not the surgery itself but the complications arising from the gas used during the procedure. I was told that it happens about 40% of the time and it lodged in my back neck & head. The doctor said it would have to go away on its own, there was no help except to walk and try to get it moving. After 2 days on liquid Vicodin (no relief at all) I finally chopped 2 Vicodin capsules into about 12 piece and got some much needed pain relief. Before that I was in such discomfort I couldn't even sleep. Today I got a shower (hallelujah) and a long nap. Doing well on the broth and liquids & am relieved that I don't want more, but looking forward to some thin mashed potatoes in a couple of weeks. Has anyone else gone through this?

I was banded on Thursday the 22nd. When I first got out I was in quite a bit of pain and thought what the heck did I do? But I got up later that evening and walked the hall in the hospital. Luckily, mine was an overnight stay. I have no idea how people do this surgery as outpatient because there is no way I would have been ready to go home that night. I sipped Water and ice chips the first night. The next morning, which was yesterday, I felt a little better. I walked the halls quite a bit to try and get rid of the gas pain. I decided to stop taking the liquid vicodin because I did not like the way it made me feel nauseous and dizzy. So I am toughing it out. I came home yesterday afternoon. I only drank water yesterday trying to keep from being dehydrated but did not really want anything. Today has been better. I am still sore and sometimes feel pain in my chest if it bubbles or burps but it is tolerable. I forced down a total of 4 ounces of chicken broth but it took 3 times before I got it all down, little bits each time. Crazy because just 3 days ago I was guzzling a whole can of broth in nothing flat and now I truly cannot handle more than a few sips. Again, been mostly sipping water all day forcing it down sips at a time to avoid dehydration. This is definitely harder than I thought it was going to be. I even cried today which I did not think would happen to me, but I know it is going to get better each day. I know it is going to work and I will be a success story when this is all over. I hope my story helps others and good luck to everyone doing this. And do not listen to anyone, this is way harder than just going on a diet!

Oh yeah and the hospital had given me some kind of wild berry boost drink the night of surgery. I took a few sips and a little while later I threw up. Not just bp or whatever but actual throw up with heaving. I was so scared my band would slip but the nurse said it would be fine, that it takes a bunch of throwing up not just one time. Then yesterday in the car on the way home I drank too much Water and had something like a sliming episode I guess. Then when I got home yesterday for some reason I thought I was supposed to sip Protein Shake, but I took 2 sips and knew that was not going down good. I then looked at my stuff from my nutrition class and saw that I am not supposed to start Protein Shakes again until after first week. I am learning from my mistakes quickly!!

I was banded on Thursday the 22nd. When I first got out I was in quite a bit of pain and thought what the heck did I do? But I got up later that evening and walked the hall in the hospital. Luckily, mine was an overnight stay. I have no idea how people do this surgery as outpatient because there is no way I would have been ready to go home that night. I sipped Water and ice chips the first night. The next morning, which was yesterday, I felt a little better. I walked the halls quite a bit to try and get rid of the gas pain. I decided to stop taking the liquid vicodin because I did not like the way it made me feel nauseous and dizzy. So I am toughing it out. I came home yesterday afternoon. I only drank Water yesterday trying to keep from being dehydrated but did not really want anything. Today has been better. I am still sore and sometimes feel pain in my chest if it bubbles or burps but it is tolerable. I forced down a total of 4 ounces of chicken broth but it took 3 times before I got it all down, little bits each time. Crazy because just 3 days ago I was guzzling a whole can of broth in nothing flat and now I truly cannot handle more than a few sips. Again, been mostly sipping water all day forcing it down sips at a time to avoid dehydration. This is definitely harder than I thought it was going to be. I even cried today which I did not think would happen to me, but I know it is going to get better each day. I know it is going to work and I will be a success story when this is all over. I hope my story helps others and good luck to everyone doing this. And do not listen to anyone, this is way harder than just going on a diet!

Thanks for the info-Please don't concern yourself about the crying..I think it's natural, infact, my doc sz depression maybe worse after surgery. I'm sure you'll feel better w/ each passing day! I have 1 day left til surgery. I'll be 1 nite at hosp. then w/family since I live out in the boonies..I'm sure as soon as I start the "post" experience, I'll be reading everyone's posts, looking for reassurance! This site has been a real blessing and I thank everyone for sharing. I wish you all healthy success! See you on the other side...

Hi,

I am sorry you are experiencing those problems. I did not have any problems, but I had read many people have problems with gas. I bought GasX prior to surgery in case that happened.

The high Protein drinks I purchased were from Body Builders. Another poster said she had found these good for herself. From what I have read on this site, not everyone likes what the different manufactures have.

I had Isopure, Mango Peach, the first few days. I liked it better chilled than at room temperature. This is a high Protein Drink.

Hope things continue to get easier and easier for you.

Best,

Gwendolyn Smythe

Hello everyone. Just wanted to know how everyone was doing on their journey. Its 4ks for me on Mon and feeling really good. Lets keep each other posted on how were doing on our journeys. Hoping everyone is feeling good.

Hello All, I was banded on July 14, I have lost 13lbs so far. I got my first fill on Wed. Everything went smoothly. Total weightloss since June 1 is 33lbs. This is pure awesomeness!

Lawgirl~ congrats on the weight loss. I get my 1st fill on Aug 31st & cant wait. I have not weighed myself at home but lost 10lbs 1st week (1st post-op appt). I know not to expect much weight loss until I start getting fills but the inches are melting off. So happy to be sharing this journey with all of you. Take it day by day. Have a great weekend. :)