Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the starting part of my journey, and I know all the foods I will not be able to have after my surgery, and I have this terrible "I need to have them before I can't have them anymore" feeling, and it's terrible! I think I gained an extra 10lbs in the last three months because of it! I just wanted to know, did other people go through this? Did you satisfy your cravings? What was the hardest thing to give up?

I started to make a list of all the places I wanted to eat before the surgery. But to be honest with you, the closer it got and the more I studied on the surgery I realized that I would not have to give these foods up. I would no longer be eating the quantities of them but I could still eat them. With that knowledge I was able to scale back. You are on an amazing journey, good luck to you!

I agree with the previous poster - there are no forbidden foods. I'm at full restriction with the band, have lost almost 60 pounds in 2010 and indulge in anything I want to. It's all about moderation - I don't have some cheesecake EVERY day! Truth be told, I wouldn't even want to. My body has adjusted to healthier food choices, and my cravings have changed because of it. Even though my portions are very small (full restriction of the band sure teaches you quickly to eat less!), I eat anything I want. Bonus? I stay full off of a small portion! Even though I indulge on occasion (Frappuccinos from Starbucks are my weak spot), I don't do it often because the weight loss I see is a bigger craving than the junk :thumbup:

I am going thru my pre op stuff and know exactly what you are talking about. I am in 2nd posters stage now, I am realizing I will still be able to have things, just less of them. Of course, there will be some things I won't be able to have, but from what I've read, I really will not know what these are until after I get banded.

I have read others do this also. It's like when I quit smoking last year, the week before my quit date, I was smoking like a freight train lol.

This is hysterically funny! I felt like such a loser craving and indulging in all of this food. But it is time to get serious as I realize if I wait too long, it will only make it harder on myself as time gets nearer.:thumbup:

This is hysterically funny! I felt like such a loser craving and indulging in all of this food. But it is time to get serious as I realize if I wait too long, it will only make it harder on myself as time gets nearer.:smile:

That is what I am worried about, too! I am such a sugar/pasta freak, so I am worried that after all is said and done, I will have these monstrous cravings, and that part scares me! But I know in the end the results will be well worth it, it's just funny how I feel like, "Gotta have it now, won't get to later" anxiety, and it's sooooo ridiculous!! :thumbup: I was just curious if others were feeling this way to and if they caved in, so that I don't feel like the only one with this really weird and ridiculous anxiety! :tt2: Haha

I did the same thing - I gain about 10 lbs before I strated my liquid 2 week diet and then realized what I had done for no reason! the one thing I did hear you can't have again EVER is SODA - I love me some soda - now some people on here say their dr told them no soda for 6 weeks, some for 3-6 months and some were told never again.....I have gone over a month now without soda and at first I missed it soooo much - now I am getting better - but when I see one I think that looks so good! So if you like soda you may want to stock yourseld up on it! They say the bubbles can cause the band to move - so I didn't want to risk it! Good luck!

I LOVE soda!! Fortunatly, or unfortunatly, however you look at it, I love diet soda, and my Husband hates all the chemicals in it, but I hate all the sugar in regular...anyway...I went YEARS with out it, on my own, had just decided to stop drinking it, and then I had it a few times, and now I have like 3-4 a day, and I am dreading not being able to have it!! It's my "coffee"!!! My Dr. said some people can handle it, but most just don't like what the carbination does to them...and then there goes champagne also.....ooh soo sad! :thumbup: Time to mourn the Champagne! hehe.

Oh my gosh!! Im doing the same thing!! I feel like im never going to eat again

I have been through every emotion on this journey...when i first decided to go for the consult, it was like every meal was my last! I needed to gain a few pounds actually, to be at a solid 40 bmi, and now I'm definitely there! Then my insurance came back with a 3 month diet - I lost almost 9 pounds in one month and today found out I was approved!!!! I am hoping for a July 12 surgery date...will be confirmed in the next few days. Now I kind of have that last meal mentality feeling coming back. I don't beat myself up over it, though. It's part of the cycle and part of the reason that I am choosing lapband surgery!!!

My surgery is on June 21st, my birthday. I will be starting my full liquids on Monday the 14th and the only thing I think I will be craving is Pasta. But, when I think about it, pasta is one of the reasons I am a fat person with too many co-morbidities to count. I know the new life I want and I am willing and able to work my ass off to accomplish it. You will too. It would be insane to go through all of this trouble only to cheat because you would only be cheating yourself. There are plenty of substitutes for the foods we love and if we are smart, and I would like to think I can be at time, we will find them. I wish you the best of luck.

I have been banded for about 2.5 months. I have yet to run across something that I can't eat. I last suppered myself all over town the week before my pre-op diet. I probably packed on 5-lbs just gorging myself on my favorite foods and feeling sad about never being able to eat them again.

Since I have been banded I have actually been back to most of my favorite restaurants. I am not really restricted (2nd fill yesterday) and I can eat just about anything if I chew really well. The bonus of it is that I take half of it home now and get to enjoy it again the next day!

The only thing that I was told specifically not to have is CARBONATION (i.e. soda, beer, etc). I really miss soda. I do not drink coffee so my soda was my addiction. I am now addicted to diet Lipton Green Tree with Citrus. It doesn't satisfy my carbonation fix, but it does help me get over soda.

Don't worry about not being able to enjoy all your favorites. You still may be able to....especially before you have reached restriction. The good thing is that you will be eating slower and in smaller quantities.

Good luck to you all with your surgery!

Im scheduled for surgery on July 30th. I am doing the same thing. I know I should be starting to get my mindset right and start "training" my body and mind to eat the way I will need on the band but I just keep eating what I want and thinking that Im not going to be able to eat this or be like this again after the band....Im torn from what I want to do and what I need to do ..its pretty frustrating and I also get mad at myself:cursing:

I dont mean to be offensive because I know we all have our own food struggles and I dont mean to judge at all, but I personally just dont understand the logic of eating everything "bad" now. These foods arent going to disappear after I get banded. I will just have to eat less with the band. And it seems like most people dont have that many if any completely forbidden foods. I mean, I know soda, but as far as pastas and such, it seems like most people are able to eat it if they chew it well and eat it in moderation. And if i cant eat those foods after my band, good riddance, they werent doing me any good anyways lol. But I will admit that I am going to have a nice dinner the night before surgery (with permission of my dr). Mostly just because I know it will be a long time before I will be able to eat solids again lol

I dont mean to be offensive because I know we all have our own food struggles and I dont mean to judge at all, but I personally just dont understand the logic of eating everything "bad" now. These foods arent going to disappear after I get banded. I will just have to eat less with the band. And it seems like most people dont have that many if any completely forbidden foods. I mean, I know soda, but as far as pastas and such, it seems like most people are able to eat it if they chew it well and eat it in moderation. And if i cant eat those foods after my band, good riddance, they werent doing me any good anyways lol. But I will admit that I am going to have a nice dinner the night before surgery (with permission of my dr). Mostly just because I know it will be a long time before I will be able to eat solids again lol

Oh go ahead an offend them. You might actually get through one of their heads that they are being self destructive.

It is recommended that we don't drink soda, but even that is possible if done in moderation.