Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you consider salad a "slider" food?

Seems I am able to get salad down much easier than other solid foods. I frequently have a small salad for dinner. My salads usually included:

lettuce

tomatoe

carrots (shredded)

avocado

red cabbage

beets

boiled egg

scallions

boneless, skinless chicken

low calorie Salad Dressing

I rarely have a problem eating a salad. So, I was wondering if others feel that salad is a "slider" food.

Thanks.

~F

I don't think so... in fact, many people have a harder time with salad/raw foods than with other solids.

I was told to avoid salad for quite a while. First because as Jensmallwood mentioned I was warned it could be a trouble food and second because you have to push your protien. I have been way to scared to try that yet.

Well, I'm a year into the band life and I've never had a problem with salad. I didn't eat salads for maybe the first 2 months but after that I had no problem. I get my Protein from the chicken and egg in my salad. I was told to push Protein AND veggies, and salad is my fav form of veggie. I TRULY love my carbs but regret the effects of breads and pastas every time I eat them. So I "try" to avoid them (along with sweets -- really, really hard to do :Dancing_biggrin:).

Thanks for your input.

~F

Nope, not a slider. It can chew down so that what starts with lots of volume can fit in a pouch. But for me, it doesn't slide through quickly at all.

salad is one of those things I never have problems with. Its always a safe choice for me which is nice for when you are going out or you know you are tighter than normal and don't want to risk PBing. So, I guess in that sense it is a 'slider' for me. BUT, I don't feel bad having it as part of a meal as long as I am also getting my Protein in. You said you have hard boiled egg and/or chicken in your salad. So, to me, I think that's a healthy choice. I just try to keep each meal under 400 calories, at least 20g of protein, and something that will satisfy me for 4+ hours. A salad w/protein fits into that category so in my book its a good choice even if the salad alone is a little slidy.

I think salad works for different people. I cannot eat salads or lettuce mainly - but is a good thing. When I use to eat salads before the surgery it would always be with LOTS of dressing which fattens it back up. Sounds like you add the right ingredients and are able to eat a healthy salad. I think if you find something healthy that you are able to eat - stick to it!

A slider food is one that goes down easily, is high calorie and low nutrition.

Whilst you may be able to get the salad down easily it is low cal(so long as its not smothered in dressing) and is highly nutritious so it is not a slider.

At least the salad that you are describing actually sounds like a salad. I see so many threads on here about "salads" and they seem to consist of meat/cheese/sour cream/dressing etc with maybe a couple of token lettuce leaves.

If you are able to eat the kind of salads that you are eating then continue to do so. They are really good for you - packed full of Vitamins and minerals.Be just be careful with raw carrots. Make sure they are grated and chewed really well as they can cause blockages!

A slider food is one that goes down easily, is high calorie and low nutrition.

Whilst you may be able to get the salad down easily it is low cal(so long as its not smothered in dressing) and is highly nutritious so it is not a slider.

At least the salad that you are describing actually sounds like a salad. I see so many threads on here about "salads" and they seem to consist of meat/cheese/sour cream/dressing etc with maybe a couple of token lettuce leaves.

If you are able to eat the kind of salads that you are eating then continue to do so. They are really good for you - packed full of Vitamins and minerals.Be just be careful with raw carrots. Make sure they are grated and chewed really well as they can cause blockages!

Thanks for the info about the carrots! I didn't know they could cause blockage. I don't eat a lot of it in my salad, but it's good information to have.

Lol, Im glad someone else said that Elcee. Its another one of those cultural differences between Australia and America - chicken salad or tuna salad for example means to me pieces of chicken or tuna mixed in with lettuce, Tomato, cucumber, avocado, mushrooms, carrots etc. In a big bowl, tossed, maybe with dressing (I'm partial to a little flax seed or olive oil). Its mostly a vegetable dish with a bit of Protein added. To most people here it is simply tuna or chicken mixed with mayonnaise! That's not a salad, its tuna mixed with Mayonnaise (ok, maybe some celery too).

Carrots ARE diabolical, that's for sure. I cant eat raw carrot easily at all. Salads require care too.

I tried eating salad one month after being banded. Just a bowl of lettuce, Tomato, hard boiled egg, chopped zucchini and dressing. I had no problem at all and it tasted SO good. So.. the next day I did the same thing for lunch only added some grilled chicken (chopped very small). I was in heaven. I had been craving a salad and it just satisfied me and made me very happy. However, I noticed that I don't enjoy all the dressing that I used to. I used to use about 2 tablespoons of dressing and now that seems like waaaay too much. I've lost my taste for that much dressing and that's a good thing! :Dancing_biggrin:

Banded May 3, 2010

Dr. Marc Neff

1st fill 1cc May 26, 2010

weight.png

Raw veggies especially lettuce don't go down as well for me, so no it is not a slider. I usually get a grilled chicken salad, eat all the chicken first, then eat the lettuce as I really have to concentrate chewing it. I am better with shredded lettuce and use that often!

I love a nice spinach, strawberry and chicken salad. OR a Chicken Caesar salad minus the dressing. MMM! And it is very filling, so to me -- not a slider food. In my mind, a slider food does nothing to advance my journey. Another poster put it well, a slider food has to fit the three requirements: goes down easily, high-calorie, low nutrition. Salad doesn't fit that! (As long as you are picking the RIGHT salads!)

I will be a year out in July... and for me, salads can still be a bit of a chore. I have very good restriction, and the bulkiness can cause me to fill up very fast or not chew enough. I think that if you can get them down and are getting enough Protein in other ways ENJOY! Also be careful with boiled eggs.. for me they seem to be so rubbery that they get hung.

Best wishes.