Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food choices and digestive issues

I was losing until this past week. I have been drinking less Water and more iced tea with artificial sweeteners. I also have had an increase in processed foods.

Over the past few days my scale reports weight gain of 6 pounds and I have not had but 1 bowel movement and less frequent urination.

I am thinking the weight gain may be a reflection of the lessened trips to dispose of waste and that the lack of bathroom visits has me retaining waste.

Any suggestions on how to get my digestive system back in gear? Any supplements or foods that will aid me?

Drink LOTS of Water between meals, cut way back on the tea and processed foods. You didn't mention specific foods, but if you're eating a lot of cheese, that can have a "clogging" effect. After you eat your Protein, choose fresh veggies and fruit (that you can tolerate/won't get stuck) to add a little Fiber to your diet. Can't stress the water thing enough. I'm a dietitian by profession, who also happens to be "banded." (Ironic, huh?) I know I see a big difference in my appetite and "elimination" when I don't drink enough water. Another thing to think about is the type of Calcium supplement you take (if you take one). Calcium Carbonate can have a constipating effect on some people. calcium citrate is a better choice, and is better absorbed too. Hope things go better for you!

Drink LOTS of Water between meals, cut way back on the tea and processed foods. You didn't mention specific foods, but if you're eating a lot of cheese, that can have a "clogging" effect. After you eat your Protein, choose fresh veggies and fruit (that you can tolerate/won't get stuck) to add a little fiber to your diet. Can't stress the Water thing enough. I'm a dietitian by profession, who also happens to be "banded." (Ironic, huh?) I know I see a big difference in my appetite and "elimination" when I don't drink enough water. Another thing to think about is the type of Calcium supplement you take (if you take one). Calcium Carbonate can have a constipating effect on some people. calcium citrate is a better choice, and is better absorbed too. Hope things go better for you!

Thank you so much for the helpful comments!

When I was first banded I used Miralax, just mix a cap full in a glass of Water, it totally dissolves and by the next day I would be regular again.

I don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners but I personally consider them poison (no scientific evidence for this but I feel better when I don't use it). I have even stopped using the Crystal light to get away from it.

I always gain with processed foods, the salt really reacts with my body. Maybe the combo of more salt and less Water to flush it out contributed to the 6 pounds.

Hope some of this helps...:Dancing_biggrin:

I add Benfiber to my Crystal light every day, I sware I cannot taste it.